Console owners: XBone or PS4?

Xbone or XBone or XbOne was part of my evil language invention back when it was announced. I'm not the only one who had the idea, but I and others began using that in early discussions, and as you can see, a year or 2 later, it has infected.

To the OT:
I own an XbOne w/Kinect. We use it for Netflix and Amazon Prime all the time. The Cable box HDMI feed into it is also nice and it makes jumbling signal feeds much simpler.

We just ran a D&D game across country (MN to TX) seemlessly via Skype and the Kinect. Since both parties had big TVs with Kinect on top, it really was like looking across the table to the other side, 1500 miles away. Honestly, the TV-phone feature that AT&T promised us in the '60s was the whole point of Kinect on XbOne.

I am about to replace my UVerse with a $45 dollar DVR/tuner box that works well with the XbOne's remote control of media devices.

If you can wait for awhile they are planning to make the XboxOne capable of being a DVR

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If you can wait for awhile they are planning to make the XboxOne capable of being a DVR

I Googled for ages on that last week, as it was one of my purchase considerations. Lots of articles saying its coming sometime; no detail whatsoever, let alone a date. It would essentially be that last step to making the Xbone the living room centre. Add in Cortana (which they say they're doing too) and you're in the future.

In other news, today I walked into the lounge and said "Xbox, Skype mum and dad". They were on the TV a few seconds later. Total Star Trek.

Janx

Hero

it ain't happening. MS is licensing another device as Xbox TV or something. it's reallu just a tuner. The xbox by itself cannot be a DVR for TV because it has no tuner and it could only record what comes through the HDMI input, which would mean one show at a time as it is playing through that port.

meanwhile Homeworx has a device for $45 on Amazon that is a HDMI tuner and you can add an external USB drive for use as a DVR. The XbOne's infrared blaster already supports it as a media device. Found an article on it, ordered it. now I just need a better HD anntenna setup and the hard-drive.

it ain't happening. MS is licensing another device as Xbox TV or something. it's reallu just a tuner. The xbox by itself cannot be a DVR for TV because it has no tuner and it could only record what comes through the HDMI input, which would mean one show at a time as it is playing through that port.
the following news articles say hopefully before the end of the year
http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/6/8558881/report-xbox-one-to-get-tv-dvr-feature-this-year and so does http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/05/report-xbox-one-to-get-dvr-functionality-probably-this-year/

and most recent as of last week

Last edited:

Janx

Hero

We'll see if that makes the cut. In any event, I needed to buy an HD antenna, and $45 for my tuner + DVR is a a pittance. Adding the $100 for a hard-drive, and I could just as easily attach it to the XbOne for more storage instead. I don't need to wait to see what MS might do, I've already got the parts.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There's also a slight issue in that XBox's "OneGuide" is nowhere near as useful and easy to use as the ones that come with even the least functional set-top boxes. They need to redesign that.

Janx

Hero
There's also a slight issue in that XBox's "OneGuide" is nowhere near as useful and easy to use as the ones that come with even the least functional set-top boxes. They need to redesign that.

I haven't really used the Guide on the Xbox. Never much used the one on my Uverse either. I always record my shows by the Search mechanism

Just curious ... "XBone" parses to me as "X-Bone", which is perhaps not what the brand would prefer. I presume this is from "XBox One". Was the capitalization deliberate, as opposed to, say, "XBOne" ... which is a little awkward, typographically.

This is not an opinion either way as to the correctness. I find "XBone" mildly amusing.
Term became the go to for the system after Microsoft's boneheaded plans for the system when they were announcing it. Always online DRM did not go over so well.

Say "Xbox watch BBC News" or "Xbox open media player" or whatever; don't even have to touch a controller unless I'm playing a game!
Sounds like an Orwellian nightmare to have a machine in my house constantly monitoring what is said.

Oh, wait, you live in London don't you, guess that's par for the course.
330px-CCTVBigBenLondon.JPG

Janx

Hero
Can you search for upcoming shows by voice?

Dunno.

The Xbox's control of a DVR is mostly over the channel changer and the Guide (which is really just a list screen of channels, which on select triggers a channel change). It can also issue stop/play/pause commands.

So the DVR side of the machine is out of reach because the Xbox can't "see" what's on your screen to navigate. So telling Xbox to "Record Star Trek", it wouldn't know how to walk inside the Uverse's interface to get to that part. All the tricks the Xbox has for controlling my DVR is because it is issue direct commands that can be fired blindly, regardless of what's on the current screen of the DVR.

This is where IF they came out with a Tuner for the xbox and the xbox acted as the DVR, they'd close that gap. But they'd also be stealing business from Comcast, AT&T and Tivo. I reckon that'll happen sometime when their interests collide.

Remove ads