Best Star Wars RPG?

Which is the best official Star Wars RPG?

• WEG d6

Votes: 107 38.9%
  • WotC d20 System

Votes: 20 7.3%
  • WotC SAGA Edition

Votes: 77 28.0%
  • FFG Edge of the Empire (etc.)

Votes: 71 25.8%

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I guess a poll was kinda obligatory to help launch the new forum. So here it is! Feel free to comment also.

lyle.spade

Adventurer
I'll wander out here first.

I voted for d6 because of what I remember getting out of it when I played it way back when: a lot of fun. I bought it when it came out in '87 and had a great time with it, playing it regulary for a few years, then sporadically for a few more. I've played it twice in the last few years and the system definitely shows its age - it's not as rigid as older systems, but it's certainly not a modern narrative-heavy ruleset.

I played d20 and it was...not good. The system of levels simply did not match the story needs of Star Wars.

FFG has got some great rules, books, and stories going for their game, but I found myself a little put off after a while by the crunch factor. I have the EotE beginner box and the main book, and I actually prefer running just the rules from the box - things tend to move faster and there's not such a need at the table for everyone to be really clear on all the rules. I never had that problem with d6. I'll still run it, though.

Those are my thoughts.

teitan

Legend
I've played the WEG edition, first, second and revised, loved them but first could get out of hand with armor and second/revised was a great fix but Jedi were still overpowered. I didn't play the first edition of d20 but the revised version was pretty awesome. I ran a short campaign with it and it was pretty Star Warsy in my experience. I liked Saga but didn't get to play it and I don't like FFG's model for Star Wars and Warhammer so I have no experience so I voted based on that.

Mr. Flibble

Explorer
WEG wins hands down for content - the game played such a huge part in kicking off the EU, and I still think the WEG contributions are the best part of the EU. The current games win for game mechanics, though.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Dad
I started table-top with WE d6, and was a huge fan of it. But then FFG released Edge and Rebellion and I became a bigger fan. Looking forward to picking up the new Force & Destiney corebook at Gencon, and I hear they have renewed their license to release material covering the Force Awakens trilogy.

Stan Shinn

Explorer
Ditto on what Lyle said. I'll also add that as a partially color-blind person (as about 8% of males are), trying to decipher the color coded dice symbols in the FFG books is a real challenge. I do OK with the dice, but the little dice icons in the book -- not easy to use for the color challenged.

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
I still think 4e should have stolen the condition track from SAGA edition.

I agree. The Condition track in Saga edition was amazing IMO. D&D 4e should have just been a D&D version of Saga edition. If it had been that 4e would have been so much bigger than it turned out to be.

Oh... as far as the poll goes, I voted for FFG's system. Yes SW d6 was one of my first 3 rpgs that I ever played, and I loved Saga edition but FFG's system is just so good, that does a great job balancing Force Users with non Force Users.

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
I started table-top with WE d6, and was a huge fan of it. But then FFG released Edge and Rebellion and I became a bigger fan. Looking forward to picking up the new Force & Destiney corebook at Gencon, and I hear they have renewed their license to release material covering the Force Awakens trilogy.

What would be awesome is if FFG released a Star Wars Legends rpg book for their game, which would be the book they would have to cover the Extended Universe that Disney has now relabeled Legends. If it was a book that touched on the different eras of the Star Wars Legends Universe that would be so epic.

Stan Shinn

Explorer
Stacie -- just curious re: your comment on FFG doing a great job balancing Force and Non-Force users -- are you referring to Edge of the Empire? In that there are no full Jedi. I have not seen the Force and Destiny Beta yet and I'm curious to see how they balance fully Jedi vs. non-Force users. Is is possible to have a party of Jedi and non-Force users in the same party and have them balanced in Force and Destiny?

Remove ads