Best Star Wars RPG?

Which is the best official Star Wars RPG?

• WEG d6

Votes: 107 38.9%
  • WotC d20 System

Votes: 20 7.3%
  • WotC SAGA Edition

Votes: 77 28.0%
  • FFG Edge of the Empire (etc.)

Votes: 71 25.8%

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
Stacie -- just curious re: your comment on FFG doing a great job balancing Force and Non-Force users -- are you referring to Edge of the Empire? In that there are no full Jedi. I have not seen the Force and Destiny Beta yet and I'm curious to see how they balance fully Jedi vs. non-Force users. Is is possible to have a party of Jedi and non-Force users in the same party and have them balanced in Force and Destiny?

Even Force & Destiny won't have characters start as Jedi... It will take a long time and a lot of XP for that to happen.

When I talk of FFGs Star Wars I put all three games in one group because it is one game system to me, and everything in the game is fairly well balanced around that fundamental core engine.

Starting characters in F&D don't start with lightsabers. They are not Jedi. Starting F&D characters are about equal to Luke towards the end of A New Hope. They will have one Force Power, I am not sure if they could manage to start with two.

Starting characters in F&D are equal to those in AoR and EotE.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Erg..

I haven't played Edge of the Empire, so I cannot judge it. I played a lot of WEG d6 in college, and played SAGA more recently. I had a lot fo fun back with the WEG version, but much ofthat was due to the people. And that play was a little unfocused - my more recent SAGA game had a far better cinematic arc...

If I were to do a game today... I'd probably use WotC SAGA, so that's probably my preferred edition.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Dad
Erg..

I haven't played Edge of the Empire, so I cannot judge it. I played a lot of WEG d6 in college, and played SAGA more recently. I had a lot fo fun back with the WEG version, but much ofthat was due to the people. And that play was a little unfocused - my more recent SAGA game had a far better cinematic arc...

If I were to do a game today... I'd probably use WotC SAGA, so that's probably my preferred edition.
Before you comfortably settle on your stance, give FFG EoE a try, you might re-evaluate your 'prefered' edition.

Played some WEG d6 back in the day and I remember having a lot of fun but not much about specific mechanics.

I didn't play the d20 but SAGA looked fairly easy to pick up after D&D.

I've been tempted to pick up the FFG version, but every time I read the rules overview I get confused by the dice mechanics and decide against it.

So, clearly, I'm no help!

Dizlag

Explorer
Although I have only played the new FFG version of Star Wars, I have played a lot of different gaming systems over the last 30+ years including d20 and some d6 systems. What FFG has done with their Warhammer/Star Wars "narrative dice system" has completely called to me as my roleplaying system of choice. Is it the best Star Wars RPG? I truly don't know. What I do know is any gaming group can make any gaming system their own and have the most fun doing it. Because that's what it is all about ... having fun! Right?

I suggest giving FFGs system a shot. Try not to get to intimidated by the dice mechanics because it really is a different way of playing this hobby. For many years, the rolling of dice have been a clear cut "hit / miss" or "you succeed / you fail" and that is it. This system seems to help facilitate more of a notion that the dice are just a means to tell a story with a "you succeed, but this awesomely good thing also happens or you succeed, but there's a complication" or "you fail, but this good thing happens making it easier for the next person to go". I haven't seen this before and I really have enjoyed it. Of all the systems I've played, this one is the most engaging where the entire table of players tries to figure out the results of the dice and toss out suggestions for the narrative. Everyone is involved and I've had a ton of fun with it.

Laters,

Dizlag

Najo

First Post
If the color blind element is true, FFG needs to rethink their dice a little bit though. You think they would of tested that. I personally am a big fan of the saga system WOTC did. WEG's original was amazing too. EotE I'm watching closely. FFG have great production value but they can unnecessarily over complicate games and ruin their full potential IMHO. Look at WFRP or BSG board game.

Last edited:

Urbanmech

Explorer
WEG d6 Star Wars 1e was the first game book I ever bought. We had so much fun playing that game. It ran into balance issues with Jedi but lots of games from the 80's weren't really aware of balance.

Despite all the fond memories I had to vote for FFG Star Wars. The narrative dice are fantastic and tons of fun at the table. Having both the published games and the F&D Beta it looks like Jedi will be well balanced with other characters, it requires a lot of experience to gain force powers and increase your force rating. While Jedi are working toward that other characters are getting cool abilities and similar toys.

Keldryn

Adventurer
I haven't played (or even read) the FFG games yet, but I prefer the WEG d6 Star Wars over the WotC d20 versions. I think it captures the spirit of the films a lot better, in part because it plays a lot faster.

Remove ads