• Prime Directive (1993)

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Heritage (1978)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terra Games (1982)

Votes: 0 0.0%

aramis erak

Legend
The companion to the Star Wars poll. Prime Directive's a bit of a grey area, but I figured I'd include it anyway.

Feel free to add comments!

Prime Directive really should be split out into the 3 major flavors - PD 1E, GPD and PD20/PD20M. I think that GPD sucks badly. I love PD 1E... PD1E wasn't mired in the SVCisms nearly as badly as either GPD or PD20.

Also, Starships & Spacemen is a case of "Didn't get the license, released anyway"...

I'd rank them, myself, thusly:
PD 1E - Best recreates the feel for me.
Decipher - Mechanically, I like the skills, not the talents. But I like it better than LUG, and it's good playing.
FASA - Not just nostalgia - I like the CGen process, and "Yet Another Percentile System" may be blah, but it also works for making it easy to run.
LUG -system's clunky bits really annoyed the hell our of me when running it.
S&S as Trek (Tho' I'd rank it much higher on its own)
GPD
PD20/PD20M
Heritage - no "there" there
Terra Games - even less there than Heritage.

I'm partial, in order, to:

LUG Trek (the best Trek experience I had)
Decipher Trek
GURPS Prime Directive

I like Starships & Spacemen but it's more like a Trek spoof....like how Galaxy Quest is the best "not Trek" there is, so's S&S.

I admit, seeing FASA Trek rank so high has me interested in finding a copy again. I remember back in the 80's trying to play and feeling like it was the most lifeless, uninteresting adaptation of Trek one could imagine....but I was more of a Traveller player so YMMV as a lot of SF RPGs back then were not written for fun, and to one degree or another they all felt like work.

(As a side note the mere fact that FASA is getting ranked so high is indirectly turning this poll into a demonstration of Trek gamers' ages, I think. I was thirteen or fourteen when I tried tackling FASA Trek, for example....but really, there hasn't been a live Trek RPG for a decade now, so the only younger gamers voting here I guess will be the diehard youthful collectors).

aramis erak

Legend
I'm partial, in order, to:

LUG Trek (the best Trek experience I had)
Decipher Trek
GURPS Prime Directive

I like Starships & Spacemen but it's more like a Trek spoof....like how Galaxy Quest is the best "not Trek" there is, so's S&S.

I admit, seeing FASA Trek rank so high has me interested in finding a copy again. I remember back in the 80's trying to play and feeling like it was the most lifeless, uninteresting adaptation of Trek one could imagine....but I was more of a Traveller player so YMMV as a lot of SF RPGs back then were not written for fun, and to one degree or another they all felt like work.

(As a side note the mere fact that FASA is getting ranked so high is indirectly turning this poll into a demonstration of Trek gamers' ages, I think. I was thirteen or fourteen when I tried tackling FASA Trek, for example....but really, there hasn't been a live Trek RPG for a decade now, so the only younger gamers voting here I guess will be the diehard youthful collectors).

Or the pirates. Fasa Trek is the easiest to find pirate PDF of. Then LUG, then Decipher.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases