D&D 5E Treantmonk's Guide to Wizards 5e

CapnZapp

Legend
As for updating my existing guide, well, it's mostly a cut-and-paste job, and I'm not likely to be doing it today.
I would love details on whatever ratings differences you will have! (referencing the other guide)!

Also, have you considered posting your guide in-house, rather than as a link to an external website? That is, something that retains the usefulness of this thread even if Google Docs becomes unavailable (for any reason)? I can imagine simply posting the raw text, or perhaps as a PDF uploaded to the downloads section.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Sesquipedaliac

First Post
Props to you for writing this stellar guide! I have great respect for your comparative analysis; it is both helpful and thought-provoking.

Question about “Bestow Curse”:

1. I completely agree that walking into melee as a wizard is categorically unwise, but do you think this spell could be viable if cast at range via “Find Familiar”?

2. I really love the versatility and creative potential of this spell: “At the DM’s option, you may choose an alternative curse effect, but it should be no more powerful than those described above. The DM has final say on such a curse’s effect.”

This seems fun as well as situationally effective. Please read some of my examples and let me know what you think:

• You could make a troll’s arm go limp, preventing it from using its big bad +3 greatsword.
• You could make that nasty crime lord despise the nearest creature—compelling it to attack one of its allies or perhaps ruining the alliance it was about to make with the evil sorcerer.
• You could shake the hand of an the evil general of a city from which all arcane practitioners are irrevocably banished; then, you could make him uncontrollably cast prestidigitation on random objects for the duration (because you cursed him when you shook his hand).

I'm struggling to come up with more creative uses, but I'm sure there are plenty. The possibilities are theoretically endless! Ultimately, though, this is only as good as the caster’s imagination and the DM allow it to be.

I was expecting maybe an orange or purple rating for this spell. I would really like to know your thoughts, though (regarding the synergy with “Find Familiar” as well as the creative potential). I respect your opinion. I may very well be putting too much weight on this spell’s versatility; perhaps there are other spells that can accomplish what I may want to with “Bestow Curse.”

Orange? Purple? Still Red? Let me know!

SpoCk0nd0pe

First Post
Hey Treantmonk,

what do you think about the new spell identification mechanics? I‘ve read somewhere, they are intendet to be optional. They still change the mechanics of casting counterspell if implemented and they seem like RAI to me. I think this makes counterspell slightly worse and the level 10 Abjurer feature much better.

What do you think?

johnlent

First Post
Your wizard guide has an incorrect note re: Action Surge and 1 action spells. The Sage Advice Compendium confirms it is totally legit.

CapnZapp

Legend
Your wizard guide has an incorrect note re: Action Surge and 1 action spells. The Sage Advice Compendium confirms it is totally legit.
You need to be more specific.

What, exactly, are you claiming his guide is saying and how is that wrong?

The Sage Advice Compendium confirms that you can cast two action spells, not Cantrips, if you use action surge. The treantmonk guide indicates the opposite (that you can only cast a cantrip with the action surge).

CapnZapp

Legend
The Sage Advice Compendium confirms that you can cast two action spells, not Cantrips, if you use action surge. The treantmonk guide indicates the opposite (that you can only cast a cantrip with the action surge).
Thank you.

Yes, if that is indeed what it says, it is in error.

A spellcaster with two levels of Fighter can indeed cast two Fireballs in the same turn, using Action Surge.

But perhaps it's talking about casting spells as bonus actions? Even with Action Surge you're restricted to cantrips if you Quickened a spell, for instance.

Remove ads