Taking a cue from BLACKDIRGE: More suped-up classic monsters

Drunken Master

First Post
I didn't want to hijack Blackdirge's thread, but I had a monster created from a few months ago that fit the bill perfectly. I don't have an extensive backstory fleshed out yet, but there may be one in the future.
I'll be updating this thread from time to time, and feel free to post your own suped-up classic monsters here.

The short version of his history is that Chondragar was a chimera of greater than normal discipline, intelligence, strength, and size. He allied himself with the Church of Bane, and eventually became the cohort of a Dreadmaster of Bane. The Dreadmaster imbued Chondragar with the unholy touch of the God of Strife (the Beast of Bane template, printed as "Beast of Xvim" in Monsters of Faerun), and dubbed him the "Triumvirate of Tyranny." He is fanatically loyal to the church and to his master, Dreamaster Aeryk Ironfist.

Chondragar the Triumvirate: Male advanced chimera, beast of Bane; CR 9; Large magical beast; HD 13d10+52; hp 131; Init +4; Spd 30 ft., fly 50 ft. (poor); AC 19, touch 13, flat-footed 15; Atk bite +20 melee (2d6+8) and bite +18 melee (1d8+4) and butt +18 melee (1d8+4) and 2 claws +18 melee (1d6+4); Face/reach 5 ft. by 10 ft./5 ft.; SA breath weapon, frightful presence; SQ damage reduction 10/+3, fear and poison immunity, scent; AL LE; SV Fort +12, Ref +12, Will +6; Str 26, Dex 19, Con 18, Int 11, Wis 14, Cha 15.

Skills and Feats: Hide +6, Knowledge (religion) +3, Listen +16, Spot +16; Alertness, Multiattack.

Languages: Draconic, Common

Breath Weapon (Su): Every 1d4 rounds, Chondragar can breathe a cone of gas 20 feet long, doing 3d8 damage; Reflex save against DC 17.

Frightful Presence (Ex): Activated when the beast of Bane makes a loud sound (such as a howl or growl), creatures within 30 feet with fewer Hit Dice than the best must make a Will save against DC 18 or become frightened. This effect lasts 5d6 rounds. When this power is activated, the beast's eyes glow bright green.

Feed (Su): When a beast of Bane slays a humanoid opponent, it can feed on the corpse, devouring its flesh and life force. For every 8 Hit Dice or levels the beast consumes, it gains one Hit Die. Feeding must be done within one day per each of the beast's Hit Dice or the essence escapes. Feeding destroys the victim's body and prevents raising or resurrection of the corpse. A wish, miracle, or true resurrection spell can bring the victim back to life, but even these powerful spells have a 50% chance of failure.

Smite Good (Su): Once per day, the beast can make a normal attack to deal additional damage equal to its Hit Dice total (maximum of +20) against a good foe.

Last edited:

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Hah! That thing! Man we kicked that critter's ass!:D

Guys, you should have seen it we all thought he was gonna cry when his prized monster was obliterated by about 15 barrages of magic missiles.:D

Sorry Drunken Master, couldn't resist.

Man, my character is gonna pay for that tomorrow.

Dirge

Drunken Master

First Post
if i hadn't rolled a 1 on his will save when he got hit with the hold monster, things would have been very different!
*grumble*
yeah, i'm pretty bummed that didn't work out better for me. no more mr. nice guy, buddy.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
Very nice indeed. Consider that idea stolen.

I statted up a corrupted fiendish advanced worg beast of Bane on the weekend with 16HD (from feeding, of course! :)) as well as a bloodstained feral fiendish advanced worg... and both were truly ugly. Thanks to Blackdirge for the ideas!

Cheers
D

PS: Bane no longer has strife in his portfolio; that belongs to Cyric.

Drunken Master

First Post
Pretty cool - I like those worg ideas. The beast of Bane template is one of my favorites (as Bane is one of my favorite evil gods).

And speaking of Bane, I was about to go edit my original post, but I double-checked with Faiths and Pantheons, and Bane has regained strife in his portfolio. Cyric lost a few aspects of his portfolio when he was tried for insanity by the other gods, apparently. Their current portfolios are:
Bane - strife, hatred, tyranny, fear
Cyric - lies, intrigue, deception, illusion, murder

Why Cyric's F&P prestige class is called "strifeleader", I'll never know. That's bound to cause confusion.

Last edited:

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
Good point... except it was an error as later explained on the FR list by one of the designers. I suppose I better track the exact quote down....

I completely agree with you on the merit of the beast of Bane template and look forward tonight's experiment will involve a black dragon chimeric gorgon beast of Bane. Hmmm, perhaps a bulette instead of the gorgon?

It's funny, with 1E and 2E I was always on the lookout for new monsters. Templates and classed critters means that new monster books hold negligible interest for me... except as a source of new templates.

Cheers
D

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases