GRRM: Readers 1, TV watchers 0

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Which would be why I said leaner. Any particular reason for the reductio ad absurdum?

Cause it is so true of both the books and show as to be funny. :p

Unfortunately (and, yes, IMO), the books have started to really suffer from the same problem as "A Wheel of Time"

It probably isn't exactly the same problem. You see, Jordan was married to his editor. Rare indeed is the person who can give appropriate editorial critique and be a spouse. And that would become even more true after he became ill. Specifically, in her words: "By the last of the Wheel of Time books, my role was primarily that of wife: keeping him fed and cared for—because after 20 plus years I had taught him everything I knew about storytelling and prose, and he had really become the wonderful writer that he was."

Read into that as you will.

Jhaelen

First Post
some people cannot "finish", you see it all the time with writers, they just don't know when to let go.
Actually, I think that's true for most authors. In IT we call that "never change a running system" - why finish a multi-novel series if it still sells like hot cakes?

People can say what they want about J.K. Rowling, but at least she had a very good idea how to finish her storyline from the beginning and managed to meet her goal of concluding it, as announced, in seven installments.

Dioltach

Legend
Mark Lawrence commented on that same issue at the end of Emperor of Thorns: people were telling him to just keep writing and sell more books, but he stood by his original idea and finished the story. It gave a refreshing sense of completion to me as a reader.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases