this is what kids are watching?

messy

Explorer
i recently watched the first two episodes of adventure time.

when i was a kid i watched g.i. joe, which had well-written plots, good animation, and characters who had personality.

now kids watch a show that has infantile plots, simplistic animation, and characters who are... cupcakes.

did i miss something?

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Yep. You also missed the fact that there are legions of teens and adults that adore that series to death as well as the target 2-14 boys audience, to the point that it has cosplay, spinoffs, Emmy and Peabody awards, a whole industry around it.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
From what I understand, it has more dept and deals with more mature subjet matters (e.g. suicide), than cartoons for adults (e.g. Simpsons).

when i was a kid i watched g.i. joe, which had well-written plots, good animation, and characters who had personality.

did i miss something?

In addition to the defense of Adventure Time from others, you also missed the fact that the show you are trying to present as classic was actually a half hour long commercial. The plots were were designed to introduce new vehicles and action figures. The animation was cheap and much lower quality than current cartoons, just a style of animation that you are visually accustomed to. And the characters have no continuity over the course of the show because the episodes were all written independently.

I recommend getting the prescription checked on those rose colored glasses. And that's coming from someone who's a fan of GI Joe.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
C'mon. GI Joe was much more entertaining than the Army of One commercials. But the plots, I'm sorry to say, don't seem to stand up after re-examination.

After watching 20-some facts from "107 Facts About Adventure Time," I gotta say that I'm not impressed with this one, either.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

When I was a kid, I remember thinking it had well-written plots, good animation, and characters who had personality.

That assessment does not stand up to review now. They don't have personality, they have caricature. The animation was mediocre, even for the day (as compared to, say, Bugs Bunny cartoons). And the plots... well, just read this article... http://io9.com/the-14-dumbest-plans-cobra-ever-had-on-g-i-joe-a-rea-1648942121

Mishihari Lord

First Post
From what I understand, it has more dept and deals with more mature subjet matters (e.g. suicide), than cartoons for adults (e.g. Simpsons).

I don't particularly want my young children dealing with mature themes yet, and if they have to they can ask me or my wife what they're about rather than getting their info from an untrustworthy tv show.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I don't particularly want my young children dealing with mature themes yet
Why not? Mature is just subjective. They are human subjects matters. Kids are humans. And smarter than some adults think they are. The problem is some adults try to shelter them. Sheltering means hidding/giving bad info to kids. People, kids, need good info to make their how opinions. Sheltered kids are just kids who were imposed someone else's opinion. Why would anyone do this to another person? I do not understand why gimping another individual is seen as good. I swear, some cultures...

Mishihari Lord

First Post
I don't particularly want my young children dealing with mature themes yet
Why not? Mature is just subjective. They are human subjects matters. Kids are humans. And smarter than some adults think they are. The problem is some adults try to shelter them. Sheltering means hidding/giving bad info to kids. People, kids, need good info to make their how opinions. Sheltered kids are just kids who were imposed someone else's opinion. Why would anyone do this to another person? I do not understand why gimping another individual is seen as good. I swear, some cultures...

You seriously think we can trust popular media to give mature issues mature treatment? Popular culture is the very last place I would look to get "good info" on any real issue.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases