State of the Game

Could someone kinda give me a State of the Game rundown on FFG? Like, where are they at on the last book, do the games overlap at all, what is the difference between the two games out now, do they have a specific time period, etc? I tried their website but it is all commercial and of course /tg/ is useless.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
I’m not sure what you mean when you say, “…where are they on the last book?” Are you asking about Force & Destiny or are you asking about the last (or latest book) for Edge of the Empire? Regardless, Force & Destiny should be out around Gen Con.

I know there is a specific time period they had in mind, but it isn’t necessarily obvious in the books, which I consider to be a good sign. I think the time is between ESB and RotJ, but I may be mistaken on that point.

I don’t think of the games as overlapping as much as I think of them complimenting. The rules could be said to overlap, but that’s because they’re the same rules. Each of the core rule books (Edge of the Empire, Age of the Rebellion, and Force & Destiny) simply focus on different facets of the Star Wars universe. For example, when AoR landed, we were already playing in an EotE campaign. I simply just added AoR to my pile of books and character options. There was no jarring effect noticed at all.

bone_naga

Explorer
I believe the last book is in Beta right now. I would guess that it probably takes place post-RotJ but of course you could use the rules in a setting of your choice.

Edge of the Empire takes place shortly after the Battle of Yavin and I think Age of Rebellion takes place closer to Empire Strikes Back. It really doesn't matter since that has no real effect on the rules (except to explain the reason that the rules for force-users aren't to make them full Jedi but rather guys like Luke in A New Hope who have natural talent but little to no actual training). Unless you're using published adventures (and actually I don't think the exact timeline matters for most of those either) you could set the game whenever you want. Edge of the Empire could just as easily be Edge of the Republic and take place pre-Clone Wars.

All three settings use the same basic rules. EotE focuses on smugglers, bounty hunters, etc. AoR has classes and talent trees that make sense for members of the Rebel Alliance. And naturally the last book should provide better coverage of force users. So there is some overlap in that the basic dice mechanics, rules for upgrading skills, etc. are the same (and are repeated in each book), but most of the remaining content should have relatively little overlap.

Chimpy

First Post
The trilogy of the 3 core books are all available now. They can be used stand-alone, or they can be used to compliment each other. There are also quite a lot of supplement books available and coming in the future - it is a very well supported product line.

ItsWarren

First Post
On the state of the game I would say going strong. Awhile back we heard the rights were renewed with Disney and that those rights included the new film(s). They couldn't announce anything at gencon despite more than a couple questions on the end thrown at them during the inflight report.

Reading between the lines I expect we will have some surprise ffg Star Wars news on the same day as all the new toys release... Whether or not that includes the RPGs remains to be see , but I hope so.

Also the time line for all of the core books is the same, right after Yavin. The don't touch on anything post RoJ wife we don't really know the new canon. As stated above though there is really nothing in the rules that couldn't be used in any time period. At most you have to make some new npcs or ships but really reskins would work fine.

aramis erak

Legend
All three planned corebooks are released. At least 6 class splats for each are planned, one per career, and they've been steady at 1 a quarter AFAICT. Additional splats have been done, as well, such as Lords of Nal Hutta. THere are a handful of adventures planned - the adventures are not short. (The one I playtested for F&D was a 3 month thrill ride. Can't say anything more about it, as it's not in print yet.) Even the stuff that's specific for a different corebook is usable - you can take out-of-class trees.

The game's solid, and my FLGS has sold a bunch. (They stocked 20 on shelf, and had to restock at least twice.)

Chimpy

First Post
I'm really impressed at how well supported the line is by FFG. The supplements are mostly really useful and interesting as well.

Brodie

Explorer
I think the Force is strong with this particular rpg. (Sorry... It had to be said.)

The three rulebooks interact seemlessly, moreso than the old World of Darkness books (same system, but the natures of each type made interaction between them difficult). If F&D had to be placed somewhere in the timeline, I'd say prior to Episode 3 since it has six Jedi classes more extensive rules for Force powers and falling to the Dark Side.

(And for the record, taking multiple classes is the only way I've seen to increase your Force rating. And it's pricey as hell to get to a Force rating of 3, speaking from experience.)

aramis erak

Legend
I think the Force is strong with this particular rpg. (Sorry... It had to be said.)

The three rulebooks interact seemlessly, moreso than the old World of Darkness books (same system, but the natures of each type made interaction between them difficult). If F&D had to be placed somewhere in the timeline, I'd say prior to Episode 3 since it has six Jedi classes more extensive rules for Force powers and falling to the Dark Side.

(And for the record, taking multiple classes is the only way I've seen to increase your Force rating. And it's pricey as hell to get to a Force rating of 3, speaking from experience.)

It's possible (difficult, but possible) to start a Knight-level PC (basic + 400 XP) with FR 4... Mind you, I', still using the beta, but...
Each jedi class starts with FR1
Consular Healer is 90 to FR+1
Consular Niman is 130 to FR+1
COnsular Sage is 70 to FR+1, and another 65 to a second FR+1
Guardian Peacekeeper is 120 to FR+1
Guardian Protector is 75 points to FR+1
Mystic Advisor is 95 points to FR+1
Mystic Seer is 70 points to FR+1, then 70 more to the other FR+1
Seeker Hunter is 90 points to FR+1
Seeker Pathfinder is 60 points to FR+1
Sentinel Artisan is 70 points to FR+1
Sentinel Shadow is 100 points to FR+1
Warrior Aggressor is 75 points to FR+1
Warrior Starfighter Aces is 95 points to FR+1

A consular can get FR3 with starting points;
Consular - sage 135 to FR3, +20 for Healer, 90 more to FR4. total 245

Mystic - seer - 140 to FR3, and 20 for hunter, 90 more for FR4 = 250; 30 for Advisor and 95 more, for FR5 = 315.
Can't do much, but their force powers are freaking AWESOME.

Seeker pathfinder is 60 to FR2, then 20 for hunter, and 90 more for FR3 170 for FR3.

A Padawan level (basic character points only) should be FR1, and in a few (6-8) sessions, able to hit FR2 if they want to.

Brodie

Explorer
Thanks for the math. That must have taken some time.

The Star Wars game I'm in we've been playing for a year or so now. I started out as an Explorer/Driver, and spent the extra points to pick up the Force Sensitive Emergent at character creation. A meager FR of 1, but it's still something. As the game progressed, I started focusing more on using the Force (how could you not) than on my original career. Eventually, I saved up the points and bought Force Sensitive Exile, gaining FR +1, and spent the points in the other tree to reach the +1 there. During the story, my character acquired a Jedi holocron. Once my character was able to open it, the GM let me pick a Jedi class for free (since my character's story had shifted to trying to figure out what he was) from the F&D beta. It was a while before I acquired my first light saber, taken from a fallen Jedi we defeated. Now my character's been building his own and has gotten to Dantooine in search of the crystal for the saber he built.

Come to think of it... My character should be at FR 4... Damn it.

[Edit] Turns out my force rating is correct; my GM gave me an extra when I used the holocron.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases