How do I build this character?

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Hello all!

Well, once again I'm in a quandary, and once again I turn to my ENWorld brethren to help me out. :D

You see, I'm considering playing a sorcerer, but given the high charisma I'd like to play a sorcerer who is arrogant, diplomatic, suave, even possibly greasy at times. My only problem is that the sorcerer doesn't have any social skills on his skill list.

So what I'm asking for are legal ways (the more Core the better, though I'll take anything at this point,) for a sorcerer to get Diplomacy, Bluff, Sense Motive, and Intimidate (or as many of such as possible) onto his skill list. I took a look at the possibility of taking a level of Expert...but those ten skills you choose don't stay class skills for other classes...do they? I also think I've heard of a FR feat called "Cosmopolitan" that lets you put extra skills on your skill list, though I don't own FRCS, so I can't be sure.

Any ideas on how to get those skills on my list would be greatly appreciated! :)

DerianCypher

First Post
Well, depending on what level you are you could substitute magic items for actual prowess :)

put 2 ranks cross-class into each skill then buy an item of +20 of each.. the items are cheap and would run you under 10,000gp to buy

hammymchamham

First Post
Their are feats from the FRCS book. For example Cosmopoliton that allows you to select a cross class skill and it becomes a class skil.

Also talk to the DM, they may house rule it so you can switch out some skills for Charisma skills.

Zerovoid

First Post
Cosmopolitan:

Choose a nonexclusive skill you do not have as a class skill. You gain a +2 bonus on all skill checks with that skill, and that skill is always considered a class skill for you.

It may be taken multiple times to get more than one skill.

If you wait for 3.5e, maybe the sorceror's skill list will be better. Adding some charisma based skills to the charisma class makes sense, but I haven't read anything for sure about this yet.

Taking a level of Bard gets you all of those skills except Intimidate, taking a level of Rogue get you all of them. I would think that taking a level of Expert is just like any multi-classing in that those skills are always considered class skills (for purposes of calculating max ranks, not for purchase when leveling up...see PHB pg 56). Of the three options I think I like going with a level of Rogue the best.

Thullgrim

Janos Antero

First Post
Honestly, though most people shudder at the idea, just take your first level as rogue. That gives you a ton of base abilities and a good personality base, and sneak attack doesn't hurt either. If you want to forgo that route, a level of Bard gives you a decent set of social skills, some music that is neat, and more personality.

Cosmopolitian is another good way to go, as are a few of the feats that will raise the social skills you want with generic bonuses.

There are also a few bard prestige classes you might qualify for with one level of bard or the like you can take, and advance in, so you'd have bard 1, soc 5-7 or so, then enter a prestige class with better skill points and skills while still getting +1/spell/level.

haiiro

First Post
Monte's variant sorcerer from the Book of Eldritch Might II: Songs and Souls of Power has more CHA-based skills than the PHB sorcerer. I can't remember which ones offhand, but I know the Diplomacy is one of them (Gather Info is another, but I can't remember if Bluff, Sense or Intimidate are among them).

In addition to the aforementioned Cosmopolitan feat, there's a feat in Rokugan that does just what you want: Versatile. It adds two non-exclusive skills to your list of class skills, and I see no reason why it shouldn't port well to other settings.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
If you'd be willing to take one level of expert for the skills, you'd be better off just taking one level of Rogue (assuming you'd be able to multiclass without an XP penalty -- you didn't state your race). You'd get more points to work with with Rogue, and while the skills wouldn't be class skills while advancing as a sorcerer, you could max each out at 4 at first level.

Cosmopolitan is good as well, if your DM will allow it, so you need to ask what's more of a hindrance to your character: The 'lost' level of spellcasting, or the 'lost' feat.

Chun-tzu

First Post
haiiro said:
Monte's variant sorcerer from the Book of Eldritch Might II: Songs and Souls of Power has more CHA-based skills than the PHB sorcerer. I can't remember which ones offhand, but I know the Diplomacy is one of them (Gather Info is another, but I can't remember if Bluff, Sense or Intimidate are among them).

Just Diplomacy and Gather Information. Speaking of BoEM2, there's a good PrC that would fit this character: the Diplomancer. It's a spellcasting master of diplomacy and manipulation. Mindbender from Tome & Blood would also be a good choice. Remember, once you can qualify for the right PrC, you'll get access to all the social skills you want.

Pendragon, if the Cosmo feat or alt.sorcerer don't work for you, consider playing either a Bard or a Psion: Telepath. Those guys are the REAL spellcasting social masters.

Darklone

If you wanna go singleclass, play a psion. Lots of firepower, many nice feats (Psychoanalyst and all that), healing, casting in armour, lotsa more skillpoints and class skills.

It's a little different flair from the sorcerer, but then: The sorcerer has no flair :D

OTOH, you could check out the abovementioned BoEM2 and play a Monte BARD. Check it out. With Cha18, you could shoot two magic missile similar spells per round (ME action), and you'd have 8 notes per day. That beats any sorcerer (at low levels). Metamagic comes without feat cost, you have plenty of skill points and class skills and yet some nice armour proficiencies. I have to admit that this bard is a bit on the weak side at higher levels though...

Remove ads