Adventure-writing help: How to write a 'survival adventure'?

I want the PCs to have an adventure in a dangerous area, where basically the point of the session is to survive on a deadly island full of monsters for two hours. My problem is, how do I write up such an adventure? I mean, I could just decide that over the course of the evening, they have, say, four different encounters, and I would just make sure events happen so those encounters happen. But I'd rather write it so that the island is a believable place, and give the PCs options and choices, so that they can have an easy or a hard time of it, depending on their decisions. What would you suggest?

It's a tropical island, designed to be a death trap, full of completely random monsters. They got onto the bad side of a bad guy, so he exiled them there so he could scry on them and enjoy their deaths like a game. If they can survive for a few hours, though, some of their allies will show up to help them escape. Thus, anything that seems fiendish and cruel is fair game; I just need advice for running this type of game. Hopefully this isn't the type of thing that needs to be in the Plots & Places forum, since I'm looking more for advice on DMing style than on help coming up with a plot.

Myrddyn

First Post
First of all : Kewl idea !

I think I would indeed focus on 'wilderness survival'... Which means making use of 'Environmental Hazards' (Heat waves, pitfalls, dangerous/hindering plants...) (Wilderness & Wastelands from S&S is IMO a very useful book for that... I for one use it alot.)

Secondly spice up the island with its resident creatures.. (Creating an encounter table with those creatures..) I would certainly consider working out some of these encounters in advance... In my experience this has a very positive influence on the game-play !

And if you don't make the island too big (which seems feasible going on your info), I would consider making a general sketch of the island for myself with the above hazards and creatures marked in their respective habitats. (grid, keyed encounters, etc..)

This would probably take a few hours of work... but would ensure for hours of smooth game-play..

But then again, that's just the way I would do it.. ;)

electric-ant

First Post
I'm gonna agree and say that just simple location-based encounters are the way to go.

A cave? You can take cover inside from monsters, but risk running into a potential inhabitant - precautions could be taken to lessen the danger.

Climb in the tree branches? Get away from ground monsters, but perhaps be sitting ducks for flying ones - camouflage netting or makeshift treehouses could be the answer.

The beach? Forest-dwelling monsters don't like to go out in the open, but something could be lurking under the tides - a defensible position could be set up with temporary wooden palisades, etc.

A river? Easy and fast escape from predators, but that doesn't include predators inside the water - a properly built boat (with poles, say, instead of a sail) might make it easier to use the river.

Last edited:

So what, say maybe twenty different possible encounters, each with certain 'prerequisites' that have to be fulfilled before they occur? Divide the island into quadrants, and each quadrant can have four to six of these encounters. Plus 'wandering monster'-style encounters if they just roam around. Any specific suggestions for encounters? The problem is that this is a party of 11th level characters, so it's kinda hard for local flora and fauna to challenge them (and before you ask, nope, no teleportation spells among them; teleportation's much more difficult in my game).

Steverooo

First Post
The Island of Doom

I would spend some time mapping this, adding terrain types (and their effects on movement) in the map key, noting the locations of your hostile critters, note trails, etc., make a wandering monster table, and then have a limited number of "hunters" to pursue the party, whenever they encounter them.

If you have a Barbarian, Cleric of the Travel Domain, Druid, or Ranger with high Wilderness Lore, I would throw in some deadfalls, limb-traps, quicksand, and snares.

A number of 1rst level cannabil head-hunters equal to the total party level make good "hunters" (and explain the traps). Just don't throw more than 1/4 of them at the party at once (they're there just to keep the party moving).

So, the bad guy sends the party to the island. They can try to hide and wait out the time, or wander around, bumbling into pits, quicksands, and being whacked by morningstar-like spiked limb-traps. If they "go to ground", let them rest for an hour, then roll for wandering monsters, including the cannibal hunting party. If the two parties meet up and the PCs run, they may be chased right into the encounter area of your giant T-Rex (or whatever lurks on the Island of Doom).

Only throw at the party what they can handle, though. If no one has Wilderness Lore, skip the quiksand. If no one has a good Search skill, make all the traps simple snares. If they have poor weapons, armor, or more spellcasters with bad BABs, lower the number of natives.

If there's a Druid, make more of the "monsters" dangerous animals (snakes in the trees, etc). If the party's powerful, give them some poison. If the party's weak, have some magical fruit grow on the island.

In any case, I would only include one native Adept for the bad guy to contact and warn that the party is "coming to dinner". Arm the natives with simple, low-damage weapons (javelins, knives, and blowguns, perhaps), but give at least a few some tracking ability (+6). That should make it harder for the party to hide in one place and wait out the two hours.

After all that, let the players come up with a plan, and stick to it. Wander about, hide and try to wait out the time, and roll for encounters. If the PCs are high level and have invisibility, etc., throw in some hungry hunting beasts with Scent ability, or giant scorpions with Tremorsense. If they can all fly, add Giant Carnivorous Apes, or Clakar (winged Orangutangs). If they're tough and near Epic-level, throw in the Oonai (Shapeshifting giant warthogs) or Rakshasas.

Whatever inhabits The Island of Doom, fit it to the party's level and abilities. The Druid may have enough Animal Friendship slots free to tame the T-Rex. The Mage's Protection from Normal Missiles may be proof against the head-hunters' blowgun darts and javelins. The Paladin may be too much for the Rakshasa to handle. The Ranger may be able to lay a false trail leading the cannibals into the quicksand or Oonais' lair. Etc.

Someone

Adventurer
Think of the Island of Giant Monsters! Litter it with colossal scorpions and Titanic bees, but don´t force the PC´s to fight them, but instear flee and be cornered against cliffs or mires, or to seek shelter in a small cave while the monster tries to reach them. Maybe they even could outsmart the gigantic bugs luring the Colossal Spider to the territory of the Titanic Firebreathing Moth.

It could be even better if you send the PCs with ten or so NPCs that suffer horrible deaths at the jaws of the monsters.

Myrddyn

First Post
RangerWickett said:
The problem is that this is a party of 11th level characters, so it's kinda hard for local flora and fauna to challenge them

==> I wouldn't underestimate flora and fauna ;)
Seriously, at 11th level you would indeed need some whacky plants to critically threaten your party (although it should be possible)... But I would still use them, cuz not only do they add a lot of flavour, they can also be a great addition to any encounter...
(The very trees, plants etc themselves are hostile to the party... would grate on my sense of safety as a player, no matter what my level...)
E.g. What if an area of plants where the party has an encounter turns out to have a kinda pollen-cloud effect when moved through, creating sneezing fits, reducing initiative, etc...
Or barbs impeding movement.. or entangling plants.. (Any spell caster getting caught in sort-of Assassin vine will not be happy I guess..)

Just an idea.

I am not sure there would be that many encounters. From your description, the island is kind of like a dumping ground for beasties. After a while only the strongest/smartest will still be around. So I imagine a few powerful eno:):):):)ers are probably the way to go rather than many easier ones.

Additionally, do the players know they are going to be rescued? because if so then they will just hole up until the cavalry arrives, in which case there very well may be no encounters.

If the BBEG dumps everyone in the same spot then those creatures still alive will continue to return there for 'fresh meat' especially those that are intelligent, or predatory.

Finally, as another thought, what if another party has been dumped there in the past. They may very well be the only real 'encounter' left on the island. They only want to get off...they would certainly make contact with any new arrivals, either via force or parlay.

Thullgrim

Shallown

First Post
I think the main secret to a Survivor type of island is to keep the pressure on. Keep them moving, one encounter attracts another. Quicksand, living trees. it doesn't have to be deadly just dangerous enough that they have to take it into account when the do something. They don't battle one thing at a time. Owlbear may not be too nasty but add in constricting vines and a plant that shots toxic darts and you have trouble. I think it is more about not letting them rest, use fatigue rules. Trust me anyone who is fatigued is hurting.

I don't run many survivor type stuff but have done natural disaster stuff. Even high level parties have trouble with a fire spreading in a town. Try it, sometime, rescuing innocents etc.

Hell if you wanted to be mean have the villian send along some innocent bystanders for the group to sheperd. Watch those goody-goodies run around saving people. Make sure a couple get killed just to make it realistic. This only works worth certain groups so may not help with yours. Just ake sure they know these people are here becuase of you. So use people they know, such as barkeeps, mechants, weapon smiths, friends etc.

Later

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Remove ads