D&D 4E Who's still playing 4E

Jessica

First Post
I started playing 4e again. I stopped playing D&D for a while during 4e because of life getting in the way and by the time I was able to focus on D&D again 5th edition was coming out. I played 5e and it has things going for it, but one of my FB friends offered to DM a game of 4e on Roll20 and now I have a hard time enjoying 5e as much. I'm just sad that we only play every other week.

tyrlaan

Explorer
I love DDi. There is no way I am unsubbing while I still run 4E. Heck, I will keep my sub even if I think I might run 4E. ;)
I love me some DDI tools too, but I guess I'm a cheap bastitch ;-)

Briefly digressing for but a moment, I think it's a great way of going backwards. It scratches those itches but is underpinned with a lot more design rigour than EGG was capable of providing.
Agree with you here - I just find those itches don't seem to need scratching for me anymore. Or at least not right now. <shrug> Is what it is.

Point 1: I simply prepare a cheat sheet essentially in stat block format with TRAITS and TRIGGERED ACTIONS. I do it as the DM and then give it to the players because 1. they're fundamentally lazy and 2. it let's me get across their characters so I can give them a hint about options. (You would think I would have trained them better after 30+ years together... but no. :) )

Hehe cool and makes sense. The layout of a monster stat block for a PC is just genius to me.

Point 2: Sure, I will send you some links.

And I still use the online monster builder. That said, I typically build a rough version just in notepad so I can tinker with it without my Third World internet shutting down while I am in the middle of a monster (no, not exaggerating and, yes, I live in the Third World). I have a collection of text files on my desktop with these stat block ideas that I tinker with until I am happy enough to put them together in the online Monster Builder.

Sweet thank you! Looking forward to see what kinds of things you've done.

bone_naga

Explorer
My group has taken a temporary break from D&D to get our Star Wars FFG on, but we still plan to wrap up our 4e campaign, we also have an Ultramodern4 campaign on hold, and once I finish my 4.75 rules I will start a new campaign using those.

I enjoy having tactical options and group synergy. Even in campaigns that aren't combat-heavy, I find that 4e offers something for me that most other systems don't.

RMcCall

Explorer
The only group I have at the moment is playing 4th edition. We're at level 3. I have found that online resources have been sorely lacking. If you're DMing, definitely read everything the AngryDM has written about designing encounters and such, as that advice is even more important with 4e's take on the adventuring day. Buy the Monster Vault for the tokens if nothing else (though the monsters themselves are well designed, of course), and always have a grid ready. But remember to end combat encounters before they get monotonous, easily done by scaling damage up as the battle goes on.

If you're playing and looking for more character options, try working with your DM to homebrew stuff. One of my players is using a "mechsuit" class I made, and it works well because we play a bit fast and loose with the game balance. 4e seems like its harder to homebrew for because of the careful balance they put into the design, but really it just comes down to what you and your group find fun, so if the balance is off, most players and DMs don't mind. There are some good homebrewed classes floating around the internet.

The only group I have at the moment is playing 4th edition. We're at level 3. I have found that online resources have been sorely lacking. If you're DMing, definitely read everything the AngryDM has written about designing encounters and such, as that advice is even more important with 4e's take on the adventuring day. Buy the Monster Vault for the tokens if nothing else (though the monsters themselves are well designed, of course), and always have a grid ready. But remember to end combat encounters before they get monotonous, easily done by scaling damage up as the battle goes on.

If you're playing and looking for more character options, try working with your DM to homebrew stuff. One of my players is using a "mechsuit" class I made, and it works well because we play a bit fast and loose with the game balance. 4e seems like its harder to homebrew for because of the careful balance they put into the design, but really it just comes down to what you and your group find fun, so if the balance is off, most players and DMs don't mind. There are some good homebrewed classes floating around the internet.

Maybe check here http://4enclave.roleplaylife.net/ its not a very active forum, but people do monitor it so you can usually get some answers or maybe find some links to what you want. Really all the stuff that went up in the heyday of 4e is still out there for the most part, particularly all the WotC stuff.

I've even written one retroclone, paring the 4e rules back while not losing the effectiveness of them - and have a second on my worktable to pare the rules right back from a d20 system to a d6.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
After the charges that went into 3eek, my group and I stayed with 2e or did some Hackmaster.

4ork edition never interested us.

Rhetorical question: If "4ork" doesn't interest you, why on this good green Earth are you bothering with a thread that is *specifically* targeted at people who are playing the game?

Folks, please resist the urge to dump your negativity into other people's conversations. Thank you.

Remove ads