D&D 5E Many Homebrew Spells for D&D 5e

AlmirEldignor

Explorer
This thread, and indeed, the concept in general, has come a long way from what I started it as. I began with less than 30 spells, made for a game that I gm'd over a year ago. Now, there's more than 140 spells used across several games played by me, my friends, and (hopefully) some of you. I intend to continue to add to the list and refine its specifics. To that end, I posted the list on many other forums (although ENWorld will always be my first real online TTRPG forum). Maintaining the list across all those sites became a chore, and eventually I just started keeping a master list that I referenced when I posted. So now, I share the full list with you all (Partially Formatted, of course). https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/H8iz1eCQ4mLO

EDIT 1/11/2024: I cast Animate Document at 3rd level. I've converted the document to Homebrewery format and removed all the google drive components, so it Should be easier to use/save/copy from. No real balance changes or anything, I've not worked on these for a long long time.

Current Version: 1.22
Last Update: 1/11/2024
Latest Changes: Homebrewery Version So That I Stop Getting Google Doc Request Spams

Last edited:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Hello everyone. This is my first post here, and honestly I only made the account to post this.

Welcome to ENWorld! A few bits of advice.

1 - This post is formatted, and folks who are viewing this page on a dark background won't be able to read it, so you may want to fix that!

2 - We have a whole forum dedicated to house rules, so I've moved your post there. Check out some of the others!

Thanks for coming, and have a good time!

AlmirEldignor

Explorer
Welcome to ENWorld! A few bits of advice.

1 - This post is formatted, and folks who are viewing this page on a dark background won't be able to read it, so you may want to fix that!

2 - We have a whole forum dedicated to house rules, so I've moved your post there. Check out some of the others!

Thanks for coming, and have a good time!

Thanks for the move, hadn't seen this section :)

Unsure what to do about the dark background thing, dont know if there's a way to make the text change colour depending on the background?

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
If you hit edit post, then just above the text window, near the font and size, you should see a button with the letter A and a red X - this is the "remove formatting" button. Select your entire text and hit that and it should make it visible for all! (you can add back in stuff like size for headings)

the Jester

Legend
If you hit edit post, then just above the text window, near the font and size, you should see a button with the letter A and a red X - this is the "remove formatting" button. Select your entire text and hit that and it should make it visible for all! (you can add back in stuff like size for headings)

Yes please! I'd like to look your stuff over, but the grey-on-black-must-highlight-everything is a dealbreaker.

AlmirEldignor

Explorer
Update 6/8/2015: Arcane Archer update!
Added:
0-level/Cantrips/Orisons
-Concussive Chord (Bard)
-Ice Jet (Druid, Wizard, Sorcerer)
-Rainbow Bolt (Cleric, Sorcerer, Wizard, Druid)
-Static Shock (Wizard Sorcerer, Warlock, Swordmage)
1st Level
-Fire Arrow (Arcane Archer, Ranger)
-Searing Shot (Arcane Archer, Paladin, Ranger)
-Thunderous Shot (Arcane Archer, Paladin, Ranger)
-Wrathful Shot (Arcane Archer, Paladin, Ranger)
2nd Level
-Arrow of Light (Arcane Archer, Cleric, Paladin, Ranger)
-Blinding Shot (Arcane Archer, Paladin, Ranger)
-Toxic Arrow (Arcane Archer, Ranger)
3rd Level
-Blinding Shot (Arcane Archer, Paladin, Ranger)
4th Level
-Staggering Shot (Arcane Archer, Paladin, Ranger)
5th Level
-Banishing Shot (Arcane Archer, Paladin, Ranger)

Shots are basically just the Smite spells reworded to support ranged weapons (an unnecessary alteration in some cases, apparently) if you don't want to simply rule as a DM and say Smites can be used with ranged weapons, these spells may be used instead.

dynath

Villager
You refer in some spells to "free actions" as well as once referring to "masterwork" neither term exists in 5th edition. free actions are simply "at will" instead. Basically it's either an action which can take time to do, a bonus action that takes little thought, or its not an action and you just do it.

dynath

Villager
Good point Bedir, Ranger and Paladin get no cantrips. I don't think either class can use rituals either so your only choice is to increase the spells level if you want them to have it.

Realistically Know Direction and Read Magic can be covered simply with skill checks Survival and Arcana respectively so they aren't practical as cantrips or spells anyway. The other spells could easily be increased in power. Summon Shield and Summon weapon being the hardest since they aren't strait damage spells. maybe give them a duration? so that as long as the spell last you can call your shield/weapon?

Know Direction, Lance of Faith, Read Magic, Stone Fist, Summon Shield, Summon Weapon, and Vigor should be have those classes removed or be moved to a higher level spell.

If you are keeping Lance of Faith as cantrip I'd lower its damage. Radiant is pretty rare and its range is longer than most other cantrips.

Rainbow bolt is to high a damage too. Prismatic spells only do d6s. I'd probably switch it to that, its a good trade off for the utility of maybe bypassing resistance.

Remove ads