D&D 5E I'm not saying it's just an easy caravan guard job, but... (LMoP) (OOC)

The dwarf was not old, exactly; but threads of grey ran through his waist-length beard.

"It's a simple enou' job", he states. "Run thes' crates up t' Barthan's provisio' in Phandalin. It's a small town down a trail off Triboar Trail, which heads east off th' High Road. Here's a map. Take the' job, and you can keep it, an' ten Nev'rwinter-stamped gold coins." The Dwarven tongue rumbles like an avalanche through mud, evident in Gundran Rockseeker's thick accent. His clothes are those of a prosperous merchant; albeit a dwarven one; silver-traced maille over thick shoulders, and a family crest of some sort on the shield slung over his shoulder. The otherwise abstract designs on the shield, to those fluent in dwarven culture, signify him as "Rockseeker of Rockseekers"; a DC 20 History or DC 15 Investigation check (the latter taking one hour, if you care to spend the time afterwards) reveals them as an old, but tiny and not very prosperous clan that has recently become much more active. Ten gold pieces is ample pay for guarding and driving a wagon for a few days, and Neverwinter coin have a good weight of gold.

The crates he indicates are two stacks three deep on the back of a long wagon pulled by two oxen.

You are just outside the gates of Neverwinter; this early in the spring, there is still a notable sprawl of tents and temporary stands taking advantage of a distant market, exotic goods, and Neverwinter's good climate for the area and welcoming markets. You stand in a small clearing occupied by Gundran Rockseeker himself, and a hired human sellsword by the name of Sildar Hallwinter. Aside from the cart and oxen, there's two horses tied to leads; probably said individuals' transport. A DC 15 Perception check reveals where two single-person tents were; it is easy to see them tied to the saddle-bags slung near the horses.

In the background are the calls of merchants hawking their wares, and the smell of spring and fresh-turned earth. A small detachment of Neverwinter guards is assigned to these tents, and makes irregular rounds.

-----------------------------------------

If you are interested in the above intro, post your character for approval. The first five acceptable characters posted will get in. We will begin when either five characters have been approved, or it looks like no more players will apply (and there are at least four players). Acceptable characters are rules-compliant, do not smell too badly of cheese, have a small written background, and aren't named something like "SmashGoblin BeerCrusher". If you can write four or five descriptive sentences, that covers the background requirement. It doesn't need to be epic prose, either.

We will start in the middle of a trail, with two dead horses fifty feet up the road...

-----------------------------------------

A copy-paste of the recruitment post in the sticky thread, so people don't have to look for it.
Recruiting players for:

D&D 5e: Lost Mines of Phandelver
4-5 players
Starting level: 1st
Available options: All standard PHB, including Feats, but see Alignments. Abilities use point-buy, with 27 points.
Alignments: Not evil; characters should be willing to work in a group
Running LMoP as a GM'ing intro to 5e. The module will not be run exactly as specified, so as to surprise the players occasionally, but in general, if you have played in this module before, you know what to expect.

The setting should not be taken as the Forgotten Realms, but sharing general geography, place names, and the usual D&D tropes of Dwarves, Elves, Orcs, Goblins, random encounters and etc.. If you go in with only a vague expectation of something like the Forgotten Realms, you will do better than if you expect strict canon. I will explain the setting as and hopefully before needed; anything specified by the rules is assumed canon, unless play-testing reveals problems.

Options from the DMG, MM, and Elemental Evil Player's Companion are available, but only ones that expand on the options in the PHB, not ones that replace or modify anything in the PHB. For example, if the DMG has a point-buy chart up to an ability score of 18, that would not be available, as it would effectively be a replacement of the PHB chart. In addition, the core races are only expanded by Aasimar, and the core classes remain the same. This is something I have had to think over; this, I think, represents a good compromise between adding options, and not adding too much complexity.

Players
1st slot: Kobold Stew: Overton Henry, Human Ranger (1st)
2nd slot: BeerCrusher
3rd slot: SmashGoblin
4th slot: Skarsgard
5th slot:

Last edited:

Color me interested! I am thinking of playing a Dwarf Cleric. DMs starting a new game here usually specify the number of points available to buy stats. Will you do that, or should we just figure it out on our own?
Sorry about that. 27 points; I've also copy-pasted my post in the game announcements thread, so all the information is in one place. :)

Edit: A Dwarf Cleric is fine. Post the character, and I'll look it over.

Leif

Adventurer
If I don't get him crafted and posted in time to be considered for inclusion in the game, so be it. My intention is to do so, but we all know how that goes sometimes.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
I'll throw my name in as a "if you need a fifth person" player. I'm DMing this same adventure already so I don't want to take up a spot for someone who is new to the adventure. ;) However, I wouldn't mind getting some play time in (so rare for us perpetual DMs). :)

Should the opportunity arise, I'm thinking of a gnome wizard name Wendel Hobstobble. Fastidious, obsessive, and perhaps a bit paranoid. He likes to collect and organize things - gems, coins, trinkets, and, most of all, spells.

I'll throw my name in as a "if you need a fifth person" player. I'm DMing this same adventure already so I don't want to take up a spot for someone who is new to the adventure. ;) However, I wouldn't mind getting some play time in (so rare for us perpetual DMs). :)

Should the opportunity arise, I'm thinking of a gnome wizard name Wendel Hobstobble. Fastidious, obsessive, and perhaps a bit paranoid. He likes to collect and organize things - gems, coins, trinkets, and, most of all, spells.
Sounds good, as long as they are functional in their fastidiousness and obsessiveness. I assume they are; however, it can be good to get ground assumptions on the table. :)

SmashGoblin

First Post
My friend and I are interested in joining, I'm new to D&D but he's teaching me how to play so this tutorial campaign would be a nice start for me. I'm planning on making my character a human barbarian; my friend will post here too in about an hour.

BeerCrusher

First Post
And here's the friend. I was actually thinking of making a human cleric to keep the barbarian up on his toes, but the first post was a dwarven cleric, ach. I'm a long-time player of 3.5, but this will be my first foray into 5e too, so any class is a grand learning experience either way. Rogue it is!

Leif

Adventurer
Hold that cleric thought, I may not have time to get my dwarf made before time to start, especially considering how fast we went from 1 PC to 4 PCs!

Remove ads