Your relationship with social media

I have researched homosexuality, poisons, bombs, melee weapons, hate groups, alcohol, political candidates, religious fringe groups, mainstream religions, countries, conspiracy theories, rare flora & fauna, bible passages, Sci-Fi/fantasy/horror fiction, guitars amps, pedals, laws of many jurisdictions, music of all genres...and so much more.

Anyone trying to take my search history and making a coherent picture of me for investigative or advertising purposes is in for a real struggle.

Reminds me of the time when d20 modern came,and WotC had a forum for it,that was allowed to discuss some stuff that violated the CoC..so many discussions we used to joke that in the FBI there was one guy whose sole job was watching the forum lol

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
From YouTube (one of the vanishingly small number of social media outlets I use regularly) comes Corrosion of Conformity- my favorite CoC. Though they're more likely to violate you than the other way 'round.

[video=youtube;rKPicUnsPPg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKPicUnsPPg&sns=em[/video]

[video=youtube;yvsQsao1F88]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvsQsao1F88&sns=em[/video]

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Coincidentally, one of my coworkers has invited our team to an online gaming night. He set up a group on Steam and invited (through work email) us all to join. I thought it would be fun, so I joined.

Now, I've only used Steam for downloading the occasional (once a year or so) game, never for any kind of social connection. But joining this group, I see that Steam shows, in my profile, exactly what games I have played, the last time I played, and the exact number of hours I've played. Holy crap! Really? I have negative interest in showing what games I play and how much I play them.

This is what peeves me with modern connectivity -- it assumes that I want everything I do shared via built-in social connections. I only needed Steam to download a couple of games, but Steam is a full social media platform -- and I didn't know this until now. Grrrr.

One day, I guess, whenever you go in for a colonoscopy, the endoscope will automatically update your social media with the pics of your polyps.

Bullgrit

Ryujin

Legend
I realize you're joking on the last part, but I think you are mis-interpretting what hyper-vigilant vs. reasonable precautions mean.

Schools are just now starting to teach kids about online safety (not a long lecture) that pretty much covers what I posted here. It ain't hyper-vigilant, it's basic info security. One of my many hats at work is Privacy Officer. I am keenly aware of all the security crap we have to adopt and how retarded our users are in their understanding of the legal and security risks. They complain about strong password enforcement, site blocking, PDF and Zip attachment blocking, yet without them, every week we faced a new virus walking in that Symantec failed to detect in their email or that they'd install off some web page.

Me warning you that "hey, watch where you go and what you post" is mild and actually pretty good advice. It may come off as strongly worded, but that's because I care, and as I work in IT I am quite a bit more immersed in security concerns than normal people.

The hyper-vigilant are the ones who don't do online banking because they don't trust the security because they know somebody who worked in a bank's IT who said so it was poor.

Not necessarily. Some of the 'hyper vigilant' are people who do user support and realize just how vulnerable the client side is.

Janx

Hero
And there are times this gets annoying, because it gets in the way of quite simple progress.

My wife is a veterinarian, and, whether they are legally required to or not, they keep HIPAA in mind.

Sometimes, a vet will get faxed records from another vet. A modern fax/scanner/printer usually has "receive fax to e-mail" or "receive fax to file" functionality, which would mean the doctor receiving could automatically take the information into electronic records, like you'd want them to in the 21st century, without ever having to use up ink or kill trees. Except that e-mail channel is not encrypted. You can't even send it to yourself!

well, that's not entirely correct.

If the fax/scanner/copier is inside your premises on your network, it has an in-house connection to your network, and thus can transmit the fax to a file share or email box on YOUR server (because it never left your digital facility).

We use that trick all the time to round up faxes and feed them into apps.

What you can't do is cross the digital divide to another party without encryption.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Interesting note on social media: apparently someone in ISIS took a selfie near one of their headquarters and posted it online...and because that website/account was being monitored, that location was hit 22 hours later.

So, remember, kiddies- people really DO read what you post, and what you post online can have real-world repercussions.

This is ESPECIALLY true if you're in some kind of high-profile demographic- wealthy, celebrities, athletes, working in sensitive fields (security, military, high tech, etc.), and yes, terrorists- because you're more likely to be targeted by malfeasors than the average joe. Risk/reward for the black hat set, y'know?

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
If the fax/scanner/copier is inside your premises on your network, it has an in-house connection to your network, and thus can transmit the fax to a file share or email box on YOUR server (because it never left your digital facility).

Veterinary clinics don't generally their own e-mail servers. They are almost always using some third party, hosted offsite. I've known a couple large and savvy enough to have some machine always on to receive files on premises, but many aren't. Doctors for humans have larger budgets, typically, and are more likely to be able to manage such.

Remove ads