March Movie Monster Mayhem: King Kong, king of apes!

King Kong
Gargantuan Beast
HitDice: 32d10+192 (352 hp)
Initiative: +1 (Dex)
Speed: 60 ft, Climb 60 ft.
AC: 18 (-3 Size, +1 Dex, +10 Natural)
Attacks: 2 claws +21, Bite +16
Damage: Claw 2d6, Bite 2d8
Face/Reach: 20 ft. by 20 ft./20 ft.
Special Attacks: Frightful Presence, Trample, Rock Throwing
Special Qualities: Scent, Rock Catching
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +7, Will +2
Abilities: Str: +37, Dex: 13, Con: 22, Int: 6, Wis: 12, Cha: 15
Skills: Climb +18, Listen +6, Spot +6
Feats: Lightning Reflexes
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Climate/Terrain: Warm forest and mountains
Organization: Solitary, or Tribe (1 + 61-80 Human 1st level warriors, commoners, adepts, and aristocrats)
Challenge Rating: 28
Treasure: None
Alignment: Neutral
Advancement: -

King Kong is a massive simian that inhabits a small unmapped island. He appears as a normal black-haired gorilla around fifty feet tall with large fangs. To the humanoid inhabitants of the island, King Kong is worshipped as a God, and has virgins sacrificed to him. Unbeknownst to them, he is nothing but a colossal marginally intelligent ape. He is beneficial to the population of the island by preying on the sizable dinosaur population of the island. Bardic rumor has it that humans once tried to capture the creature and display it in menagerie at a large city, only to have the creature escape, and scale the tallest building of the city, but these are only rumors, none-the-less.

Combat
King Kong is normally a docile beast, unless provoked. When in battle, King Kong fights straightforward, emotionally, and irrationally He is capable of catching and throwing midair objects.
Frightful Presence (Ex): King Kong can unsettle foes with his mere presence. The ability takes effect automatically whenever he attacks or charges. Creatures within a radius of 30 feet are subject to the effect if they have fewer HD then King Kong. A potentially affected creature that succeeds a Will save (DC 28) remains immune to the frightful presence for one day. On a failure, creatures with 4 or fewer HD become panicked for 4d6 rounds and those with 5 or more HD become shaken for 4d6 rounds.
Trample (Ex): King Kong can trample Huge or smaller creatures for 2d6 bludgeoning damage. Opponents who do not make attacks of opportunity against Kong can attempt a reflex save (DC 20) to halve the damage.
Rock Throwing (Ex): King Kong is an accomplished rock thrower and receives a +1 racial bonus to attack rolls when throwing rocks or similar shaped objects. He can hurl rocks weighing up to 100 pounds.
Rock Catching (Ex): King Kong can catch Small, Medium, Large, or Huge rocks (or projectiles of similar shape). Once per round, if he were to normally be hit by a rock, he can make a reflex save to catch it as a free action. The DC is 15 for a small rock, 20 for a medium-size one, 25 for a large one, and 30 for a huge one. (If the projectile has a magical bonus to attack, the DC increases by that amount.) Kong must be ready for and aware of the attack.

Well, this is probably about my fifth monster. The description is kind of inane, and the challenge rating might be off. Please post any opinions/criticism/corrections you have. I was originally going to give him an intelligence of 3, but I realized he’d have to be relatively intelligent to have an affinity for Fay Wray’s character. I also gave him the giant-like rock catching and throwing abilities, and the lightning reflexes feat to account for his ability to catch and throw airplanes.

Last edited:

Geocorona

First Post
Looking good.

Like Animals, a Beast has a max INT of 2 (I know, apes are probably 3's and 4's, but that's 3e rules). Having such a "frightful presence", you should take those 4 INT points and give 1 of them to WIS and 3 of them to CHA. He is worshipped as a god, after all.

Last edited:

Actually, there are some beasts with higher then animal intelligence. But you're probably right about the charisma. I tried to give him a high charisma, but I wasn't sure if it was high or low enough. Thanks for your imput.

Frog Slime

First Post
I think what Geocorona is probably referring to is in the Monster Manual 2 where they change the Beast entry to say that no Beast has an Intelligence over 2, as opposed to the original MM.

Krishnath

First Post
Just change the creature type to magical beast and be done with it. Also, the CR is way to high for a creature with only 32 HD.

But other than that, it looks good.

He doesn't really have any magical abilities, but it seems that for 3.5th edition, they're adding all of the beasts under Animal or Magical Beast, so I'll do it. And the challenge rating is a tad off, I was using the mediocre estimator in the "How to Create a Monster" article from Dragon. What do you suggest?

And thanks for your imput.

Last edited:

Krishnath

First Post
Due to his quite low AC his CR would be somewhere around 13 to 15, but someone needs to acid test him.

Also, his saves are off, these are the correct saves:

Fort: +24, Ref +19, Will +11

Later,

Ah, thanks.

Anti-climatically low challenge rating though.

King Kong 1.5
Gargantuan Magical Beast
HitDice: 32d10+192 (352 hp)
Initiative: +1 (Dex)
Speed: 60 ft, Climb 60 ft.
AC: 18 (-3 Size, +1 Dex, +10 Natural)
Attacks: 2 claws +21, Bite +16
Damage: Claw 2d6, Bite 2d8
Face/Reach: 20 ft. by 20 ft./20 ft.
Special Attacks: Frightful Presence, Trample, Rock Throwing
Special Qualities: Scent, Rock Catching
Saves: Fort: +24, Ref +19, Will +11
Abilities: Str: 37, Dex: 13, Con: 22, Int: 6, Wis: 12, Cha: 20
Skills: Climb +18, Listen +6, Spot +6
Feats: Lightning Reflexes
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Climate/Terrain: Warm forest and mountains
Organization: Solitary, or Tribe (1 + 61-80 Human 1st level warriors, commoners, adepts, and aristocrats)
Challenge Rating: 15(ish)
Treasure: None
Alignment: Neutral
Advancement: -
*new Frightful Presence Will Save: 31*

Any other improvements will be appriciated.

Last edited:

Remove ads