D&D 5E Alternative Initiative: try this

bragarfull

First Post
For those like me who don't have the Adobe products..I've basically used the Open Office document and made a "Label". Found the appropriate image (ie. Orc etc.) on Google, added to the label, and named it. Printing on heavy cardstock and I then laminate on a Business Card sized laminate sheet, and now will use Dragon Shield protective sleeves to put them in. These aren't as nice looking as what others have made, but they'll work for a round of our favorite game.

Nebulous

Legend
Good point Nebulous...and there are so many extra variables one can add to this "system"...like the card above, your suggestion of having a chart to roll on for the effect..I guess the main thing is it's an interesting concept to use and add some "homebrew" to spice it up.

Well, we have used this twice so far and it's a hit. As far as initiative goes in D&D, i don't think i'll ever go back to the d20. Essentially what happens is that it turns the Initiative round into a mini-game where every round something changes. This creates tension, and we pass the deck around and let different players pick the cards, so it's collaborative. Last time I added a random Power Card that gives the next attacker a +2 damage on a hit. This was an arbitrary decision, it could just as easily been +1 damage or double damage or Advantage or whatever the DM wants. Lastly, one of the players was kind enough to custom laminate all 120 cards, he said it took about 4-5 hours, so coupled with the 6-7 hours it took me to just build the deck (including online art searches), holy CRAP, this was a monstrous project. But, we won't have to do anything for a long time unless a PC dies and insists on a new accurate portrait.

And one player said, "It's scary, but in a good way."

aiodUOw.jpg

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Publisher
Well, we have used this twice so far and it's a hit. As far as initiative goes in D&D, i don't think i'll ever go back to the d20. Essentially what happens is that it turns the Initiative round into a mini-game where every round something changes. This creates tension, and we pass the deck around and let different players pick the cards, so it's collaborative. Last time I added a random Power Card that gives the next attacker a +2 damage on a hit. This was an arbitrary decision, it could just as easily been +1 damage or double damage or Advantage or whatever the DM wants. Lastly, one of the players was kind enough to custom laminate all 120 cards, he said it took about 4-5 hours, so coupled with the 6-7 hours it took me to just build the deck (including online art searches), holy CRAP, this was a monstrous project. But, we won't have to do anything for a long time unless a PC dies and insists on a new accurate portrait.

And one player said, "It's scary, but in a good way."

aiodUOw.jpg

I think this is a great idea and expect Paizo or another publisher to steal it and produce a deck we can buy :D You cant use their current enemy and hero type decks, because on the back of each card is a unique number, so if you only use a handful of cards, players would begin to remember which card is which before it's turned over.

Last edited:

Nebulous

Legend
I know this is an ancient thread, but i had to find the template i used 2 years ago for our initiative decks, I need to add new art for the Tomb PCs. And for anyone wondering, we've been using his alternative initiative system for 2 years and it beats the crapola out of the default system, i would never want to go back. The hard part is creating the decks ahead of time and laminating them, but once you have the components together it is faster than rolling dice, and there's no math involved.

By high level it's pretty common for PCs to be using three cards apiece, so keep that in mind if you want to adapt this.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases