What's the best system for doing Star Trek?

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
But as to the discussion at hand, what about d20 modern?

I can't speak to d20 Modern - Urban Fantasy, as I haven't played or GM'd it.

I *can* speak to d20 Future (the D20M variant you'd be using).

:rant::mad:RUN AWAY! It isn't often that I'll say anything like this, but d20 Future *fails* at replicating *any* of the popular sci-fi novels, tv series, or movies. It is just as professionally produced as you'd expect from WotC, but looking pretty isn't enough to save the system.

aramis erak

Legend
I like this idea. I've not actually played EotE, but have been watching a few videos and giving it some thought. For SW I think I'd actually still prefer the D6 system, but for Star _Trek_ I think the mechanics of advantages and complications would work better for that setting than I think it would for SW. At least for the kind of games I think I'd lean towards in those respective settings.

I used to be die-hard about d6 SW über alles, but once I got rolling with EotE, there was no chance of me picking d6 for Star Wars first anymore, despite my initial major misgivings.

I don't think the tree system would work as well for trek, and rank matters a lot in trek, and isn't mechanically addressed in FFG SW nor WEG SW... and isn't fluff addressed yet in FFG SW.

I think FFG SW is almost too fickle for it to be used in trek with the dice as is...

But I'd like a similar dice-type for Trek, just with less fail and less side-effects. And more even between green/purple and yellow/red.

Pauln6

Hero
There is a fan created Star Trek chassis for Thousand Suns, called Final Frontier. It has some cute features like narrative authority so the player gets to influence the story every so often if they can some up with something that fits in with their trademark abilities. It's basically how Kirk gets the girl onside.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
When I think about roleplay in the ST universe, I don't really see too much in it that requires a specialized system. There are no Mecha or power armor suits, nor a lot of personal or commonly used tech that is radically different from a host of other Sci-Fi settings. How often will you need to model the precise way ship-level tech warp drives or cloaking devices operate?

So I'd go with any system y feel comfy running that can let you model the ST races adequately.

EvilPheemy

First Post
I've run Star Trek in many different game systems over the years... FASA, HERO, Traveller (in a HOST of editions and revisions), Prime Directive, BRP, and some d20. My point being that (as has been implied), the system you use to play *your* Star Trek game needs to serve how you want your game to feel. One of the things I love about using the Star Trek Universe is how adaptable and versatile it can be towards different stories and styles of play. The source material is so ingrained into our Pop Culture that as a GM, you can take some explanatory shortcuts and fill in your players with a lot of background in only a few short statements. (If you're running a Star Trek game, there is little need to explain what Ferengi are, or who Q is). This quality allows me to be truly creative in adapting different systems to my player's gaming style. If the players are a detail-oriented bunch who enjoys defined rules for all situations, use a crunchy rules-system like HERO or GURPS or a d20 variant. If you have a gaming crew in love with narrative and loosey-goosey rules structure, use a Cypher System or FATE, or even Fudge or Dread. In so many ways it doesn't matter if my groups definition of Phasers set to Stun match your groups definition, so long as both our groups are having fun. Then we can all come back to Forums like these and tell our tales.

fjw70

Adventurer
I guess to answer my own question I wouldn't mind use Star Frontiers to play Trek. Has anyone ever done a Trek hack for this game?

aramis erak

Legend
I guess to answer my own question I wouldn't mind use Star Frontiers to play Trek. Has anyone ever done a Trek hack for this game?

There used to be one, but it wasn't very good; it was floating around WWIV-net in the early 1990's... as a text file.

Still, one can see hints of trek in the SFKH rules...

Remove ads