D&D 5E [5e] Witcher: Mother of Monsters

Queenie

Queen of Everything
:) we are definitely interested, however things have gone a little haywire the past week. We were at the hospital overnight with Bella, who is diagnosed with Bell's Palsy. Jon is closer to a character concept than I am. When are you thinking of starting up?

raphapork

First Post
Actually we have reached my 6 player limit, from the looks of things. I appreciate your interest though. If a spot does open though, I will give you a shout!

No problem. Guess I was kinda of expecting that answer, but some hope never hurts lol.

Actually I have been acompanying your conversion in the past 2 weeks and found this thread today. If you don't mind, I'd like to watch this campaign closely, out of curiosity and because I loved the party background so far.

Quickleaf

Legend
:) we are definitely interested, however things have gone a little haywire the past week. We were at the hospital overnight with Bella, who is diagnosed with Bell's Palsy. Jon is closer to a character concept than I am. When are you thinking of starting up?
That's unfortunate; I hope you find a treatment that words well for her.

I'm ready to start whenever, it just depends on when everyone gets their characters posted :) Maybe start this weekend? How's that sound? Enough time for you guys?

No problem. Guess I was kinda of expecting that answer, but some hope never hurts lol.

Actually I have been acompanying your conversion in the past 2 weeks and found this thread today. If you don't mind, I'd like to watch this campaign closely, out of curiosity and because I loved the party background so far.
Feel free to watch the campaign, of course! I agree, there's a nice dynamic forming and I appreciate the detailed characters everyone is coming up with.

I've got your name top of the waitlist if anyone decides to drop the game later on.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
This is a sticky situation, and I'm not sure how to resolve it yet. When I wrote the feat it was with wizards or sorcerers taking it in mind, and those classes have built-in limits on spells known.

Druids, however, prepare ANY spell on the druid spell list. If a druid takes Magic Withhout Borders, it seems excessive to allow them to prepare any spell in the game as that is that clearly is overpowered without a limit on spells known.

So I think we'd need to introduce some sort of limit on the number of non-Druid spells you can learn. What seems fair to me is to use the wizard guidelines, so a 3rd level Druid would know 6 1st-level wizard spells, and 4 more wizard spells of his choice. And he meditates as normal for a Druid to prepare those spells.

================

In the case of a wizard's Spellbook, yes he could add Druid spells (or any other class' spells) to his Spellbook. Since the Spellbook has built in limits (6 1st-level spells + 2 spells/level + discovered spells), this works just fine.

Also during the course of play you can transcribe Druid spells down into formulae that you could record in your Spellbook thru research during downtime if you wished.

Hey Quickleaf!

Thanks for the answers. This is one of the reasons why I decided to go lower level, because knowing "all" spells, and being able to cherry pick them on a daily basis would have made him grossly overpowered.

So the way I now understand the feat, the character gains the ability to "learn" non-druid spells, with the number being limited by the guideline for spell-books. I would even propose that he should have an actual spell-book; this would align the mechanics with those of wizards, and is more of a drawback than a benefit, because if he looses the spell-book, he needs to find another one. If ok, I'll draw-up a list of 6 level 1 and 4 other spells that would be in his spell-book. I can already tell you that I want find familiar (wizard 1), hunter's mark (ranger 1) and find steed (paladin 2).

I'll also assume that he can use druid focuses for his spells, and this would be part of the feat's benefits.
Fair enough?
Cheers,

SG

Quickleaf

Legend
Steve Gorak said:
I'll also assume that he can use druid focuses for his spells, and this would be part of the feat's benefits.
Yes, that is what I was thinking too.

Simple stated: you can learn any spells, and you cast spells you know as Druid spells.

With the Spellbook restriction on non-Druid spells known.

Fenris

Adventurer
QL, I did get the chance to get through most of The Last Wish on the plane (not to mention getting stuck overnight at an airport), the the background for the game it becoming clearer. We will get caught up here in a bit. The whole take on fairy tales is really cool though.

Fenris

Adventurer
Ok, I think we have a winner, or a pair.
Queenie is going to play a Source (Wise Lineage), and I am going with A Witcher of the Griffon School. Characters forthcoming.

Axel

First Post
[5e] Witcher: Mother of Monsters (FULL)

\o/ Anither Witcher, for sh... and giggles with interactions. :)

I have been caught up at work, sorry. Kynee is about 85% ready and will be posted tonight (12 hours or so).

Background will still be pliable, especially names and places, but major events will be there.

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
Ok, I think we have a winner, or a pair.
Queenie is going to play a Source (Wise Lineage), and I am going with A Witcher of the Griffon School. Characters forthcoming.
Awesome. Let's see, a few quick thoughts for you guys...
[MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] The School of the Griffon is located in the Amell Mountains overlooking the Lower Sodden/Slopes region where the anti-Nilfgaardian resistance was born. Additionally, the storyline of the school I'm using is that the Nilfgaardians attacked that school to get their hands on supposed griffon mounts that turned out to be just a myth, and in the chaos the head of the school triggered a stone-fall trap that buried not only many Nilfgaardians but half the witchers of the school as well. Also the School of the Griffon is about 180 degrees from [MENTION=93196]Axel[/MENTION]'s School of the Cat, the former being hardened traditionalists almost knight-errants, the latter being devil-may-care sellswords with little regard for honor.
[MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] Wise Lineages are basically the witchcraft tradition among common-folk, and generally serve as wise women, healers, midwives, spiritual guides, and seers. Though they have no official relationship to the Lodge of Sorceresses or the Conclave of Mages, your character could have connections if you wished. You could come from any nation you wanted, since witches can be found in many rural communities. The places most hostile to witchcraft are Redania (seat of the Eternal Fire) and Kaedwen (occupied by Redania), though prejudices and mob persecution are common in most kingdoms. The places most accepting of witchcraft are Velen ("No Man's Land" in Northern Temeria) and Posada (the region where our story begins), since there are long traditions of witchcraft in those places.

FYI , Shayuri brought it to my attention that the Wise Lineage wild surge table needs revision so I will work on that. For the source weakness, I've re-written things to be clearer and give the player a bit more agency (which I will include in the update):

OOC: Source Weakness
You must select three emotional weaknesses that can cause your magic to trigger unintentionally. The nature of how the wild magic is expressed depends on your Sorcerous Bloodline. In addition, even if you multi-class into another class, you still gain the Encroaching Madness feature when your total character level is 5th, 11th, or 15th.

In selecting your emotional weaknesses, think of things which make you angry, fearful, guilty, sad, or any other “negative” emotion. You can look to your bond, flaw, ideal, alignment, or faction to determine what these might be. Examples might include seeing non-humans persecuted (anger), confronting the man who killed your family as a child (fear), the death of a loved one or friend (grief), or failing to uphold an oath (guilt).

When you are in a situation that would fulfill one of the three conditions you listed, you trigger a Wild Magic Surge. As a full-round action you can try to delay your Wild Magic Surge until your next turn with a Wisdom check against your spellcasting DC. If you succeed, the Wild Magic Surge is postponed one round. You may continue resisting and postponing the surge as long as you continue succeeding Wisdom checks. In the rare event you manage to succeed six consecutive Wisdom checks you successfully suppress the Wild Magic Surge completely.

\o/ Anither Witcher, for sh... and giggles with interactions. :)

I have been caught up at work, sorry. Kynee is about 85% ready and will be posted tonight (12 hours or so).

Background will still be pliable, especially names and places, but major events will be there.
Sounds good. I'd like for us to begin sometime this weekend, so you've got some time to work on your PCs.

Ok, the group composition so far looks like:

Human Druid (?)
Human Scout (hunter)
Human Source (storm)
? Source (wise lineage)
Human Witcher (cat)
Human Witcher (griffon)

Quickleaf

Legend
Some inspirational music...

Steel is for humans
[video=youtube;qck-tdJFe6o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qck-tdJFe6o[/video]