D&D 5E [5e] Witcher: Mother of Monsters

Quickleaf

Legend
Here's my rough re-write of the Wise Lineage wild surge table [MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION]. If you get a chance [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] maybe you can weight in with your criticism? Also, I'm still missing one option on the table if anyone has ideas.

Wise Lineage Wild Surge Table

1. The Witching Hour: Any remaining daylight fades into the late hours of night rapidly, until it’s about 3:00 am. Witches, demons, and specters gain advantage on their spell attacks and saving throws against their spells are disadvantaged for the next hour. In addition, a witch or monster is drawn to you during this time.

2. Beneficium: A possessing spirit, specter, or curse haunting the area is drawn into your body and mind until exorcised, dispelled, or put to rest. If you personally know someone who is cursed or haunted, their burden is preferentially made your own.

3. Maleficium: Someone your hold ill feelings toward suffers disease, poisoning, an extremely unlikely accident, or other misfortune as your subconscious exerts itself. This “maleficium” leaves behind magical traces of the Source at the scene.

4. Wyrd: All humanoids within 100 feet per Source level are confronted by illusions of one possible destiny they may face, usually something grim or tragic. Humanoids must make a Charisma saving throw against your spellcasting DC or be frightened for 1 minute and suffer long-term madness (see DMG) for the next 24 hours.

5. Out of Body Experience: You collapse and are stunned for 1d6 rounds, but while stunned you benefit from a scrying spell revealing a place that relates to your present quest.

6. Hag’s Eye: You are stunned for 1 round and benefit from a vision of the future at the DM’s discretion. During this round, a hag can see thru your eyes. Afterward you suffer short-term madness (see DMG) for 1 minute deriving from these ominous visions and a feeling of dread.

7. Fell Mists: Supernatural mists descend on an area within 100 feet per Source level, though they do not follow you. These mists are a mix of lightly and heavily obscured areas, all sounds within are distorted to seem they come from the wrong direction, and ghost sounds echo in the mist. Additionally, these mists exacerbate superstitions of NPCs and PCs alike, playing up their flaws. Monsters like will-o-wisps and foglets are often drawn to the mists, and sometimes ghosts of the deceased will visit those within. The mists last for 1d10 hours.

8. Something Wicked This Way Comes:

9. Anguish: A wave of mental anguish pours from you, affecting all creatures within 10 feet per Source level who suffer 1d12 psychic damage. At 5th level this increases to 2d12 damage, at 11th level 3d12 damage, and at 17th level 4d12 damage. A Wisdom saving throw against the your spellcasting DC mitigates this damage by half. However, on a failed save the creature is incapacitated until the end of its next turn.

10. Double Trouble: Roll twice and apply both effects. Reroll duplicate results.

Shayuri

First Post
I like this a lot more! Just one or two comments.

1. The Witching Hour: Any remaining daylight fades into the late hours of night rapidly, until it’s about 3:00 am. Witches, demons, and specters gain advantage on their spell attacks and saving throws against their spells are disadvantaged for the next hour. In addition, a witch or monster is drawn to you during this time.

Okay, does this actually represent the entire world slipping forward in time? :) Or is it a very localized effect? I'm going to assume localized, but some mention of how large an area it affects is a good idea. Also, does the Source count as a 'witch' for the purpose of gaining advantage?

5 and 6 strike me as very similar as well. Perhaps Hag's Eye can instead be something like:

"You attract the attention of a potent striga, or hag, and become aware that this creature is now scrying you and those near you. You become Frightened for the duration of the event. This fell observation causes minor supernatural events near you, such as milk souring, shadows that temporarily move independently of their casters, unusual animal behavior, and so on. People other than you in the observed area can make a Wisdom save to feel the chill of being watched by something malevolent. They won't know the source though, and may assume it's you. Similarly, witch hunters or others knowledgeable of the signs of witchery will recognize the strange events surrounding you. This event continues until the next noon, or the next sunrise, whichever comes first."

Or something like that. Being Frightened is a pretty bad status that inflicts disadvantage on most rolls, so that's the mechanical penalty. The other stuff is mostly flavor and RP fodder that could be a real issue if it happens in a populated area.

I really liked the Fell Mists, by the way. Very cool idea!

Axel

First Post
I agree, very cool effect. Over a square mile at 20th level! :)

Kynee is in the RG. Comments, criticism, hugs and gropings are all appreciated.

Quickleaf

Legend
I agree, very cool effect. Over a square mile at 20th level! :)

Kynee is in the RG. Comments, criticism, hugs and gropings are all appreciated.

Nice, I really like the feel of her character that comes thru in your terse writing style. Are you thinking her Criminal Contact and the innocent person you mention in her Flaw are in another kingdom besides Dol Blathanna? Or maybe you see the Criminal Contact as a network of thieves so you could still gain its benefit in the Posada region? Oh, and she speaks Dwarven so....maybe dwarves are involved in the Criminal Contact?

EDIT: A few quick follow-up comments/questions...

Under Witcher Signs you list them as a "free action" which is not the case; they require an action to cast.

Also, for her gaming set proficiency you list Three-Dragon Ante; in the witcher setting this would be Gwent.

When under her Bond you say "My ill-gotten gains go to support my cause", what is that cause? Witcher's work?

Finally, your brief physical description makes her seem beautiful, but I think elsewhere you implied she looked rather freakish? So...freakishly beautiful? How does this aspect play in with Kynee's distance from others when it comes to relationships? Does she avoid them entirely, use people for sex, or is there a middle ground for the cat witcher?

=============

Also, I made a mistake with White Rafford's Decoctions, which need to be toned down in ther version of healing potion by one step. This is to keep the healing on par with a fighter's Second Wind (1d10+fighter's level). The way I have it now Witcher healing potions far outstrip fighter healing! So it should be like this:

White Rafford's Decoction I = potion of healing (2d4+2) avg 7

This is on par with 1d10+2 healing. I.e. 2nd level fighter. Since its available at 1st level it is balanced.

White Rafford's Decoction II = potion of greater healing (4d4+4) avg 14

This is on par with 1d10+9 healing. I.e. 9th level fighter. Since its available at 5th level it's mostly balanced.

White Rafford's Decoction III = potion of superior healing (8d4+8) avg 28

This surpasses 1d10+20 healing, exceeding a 20th level fighter! Since its available at 11th level it is a bit overpowered but I'm ok with that since the built-in restrictions on witcher potions means it won't be abused.

I'll put the change in the next update to the PDF.

Last edited:

Axel

First Post
Nice, I really like the feel of her character that comes thru in your terse writing style. Are you thinking her Criminal Contact and the innocent person you mention in her Flaw are in another kingdom besides Dol Blathanna? Or maybe you see the Criminal Contact as a network of thieves so you could still gain its benefit in the Posada region? Oh, and she speaks Dwarven so....maybe dwarves are involved in the Criminal Contact?

Thanks. Trying to find her "voice" is what took me so long...

I see her criminal contact as a network, more than any one individual. A drugs gang in modern terms, although she prefers not to carry drugs. Kynee has no ideological commitment to the criminal group - purely a business relationship. They get a useful courier, she gets some coin, information and useful contacts.

The criminal group I imagined is Nilfgaardian. Anytime an officious government crushes people, the underworld steps in. I'd be happy for it to be racially based - primarily a Dwarven group, so a quadroon Witcher wouldn't be obviously associated.

Under Witcher Signs you list them as a "free action" which is not the case; they require an action to cast.

Also, for her gaming set proficiency you list Three-Dragon Ante; in the witcher setting this would be Gwent.

Easy fix! Tell me, what is Gwent?

When under her Bond you say "My ill-gotten gains go to support my cause", what is that cause? Witcher's work?

Yep. Silvered weapons, armour (since stuff breaks), potion ingredients and living expenses between contracts.

Finally, your brief physical description makes her seem beautiful, but I think elsewhere you implied she looked rather freakish? So...freakishly beautiful? How does this aspect play in with Kynee's distance from others when it comes to relationships? Does she avoid them entirely, use people for sex, or is there a middle ground for the cat witcher?

Her physical description needs more work, I know. :-/ Will build it up more today sometime.

I drew some inspiration for her appearance from the artwork on page 14. Yes, if she was a normal quadroon she would be beautiful (she's not personable, so something must give charisma 14!). While her mutation hasn't altered her body proportions and skin tone, they've given an....animalistic edge to her appearance. Not a person you would approach willingly (unless you're so confident you could wet your pants in public!), but one that you would enjoy watching. From a distance. She encourages the distance...

Glad to see you're ok with sex and sexuality in the setting. Some DMs freak out. :) She has needs and urges, just like anyone else. Since nobody would ever approach her for sex (without balls of silvered steel), she tends to pick her partners like a predator with prey. Not rape though... Given her long lifespan, I'm sure some bisexual experimentation would/could be going on too. Just like the elves - live long enough with a youthful body and you'll want to try everything.
Potion stuff - no dramas. It seemed overpowered to me on the "magic shop" basis I can't get out of my skull. I thought you might be aiming to balance it out by limiting access to ingredients and crafting time.

The million dollar question.... How much of the explanatory notes to Kynee do you want in the RG? :)

Axel

First Post
[MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION]

I was thinking about the empowered use of the Axii sign this morning. Undetectable charm cast as an action is a powerful effect for 3rd level. What do you think about level controlled access to the empowered signs? Say at 7th level?

Fenris

Adventurer
Very cool list QL. How about for the Witching hour a faux eclipse occurs.A large shadow covers the sun or moon if at night, obscuring the light and casting the surronding 20 miles into untimely darkness. This darkness emboldens the wicked who venture forth whether they are fed or not, and attack all the more viciously.

Anguish seems....not as strong as it should be. Maybe bump up the damage to half the level of the Source, but make it non-lethal? So it knocks people out?

Lastly, For Something Wicked This Way Comes: Two thoughts, either the Source surge rips open a gate and allows some monster to emerge. or (And I was thinking there were a lot of future based effects but no healing) that everyone within a thousand yards has their most recent wound re-open and start bleeding (un-curing them if you will). Scars open, holes appear in the body, bones re-break etc.

And the mechanics for both characters are essentially done, working on backgrounds.

Quickleaf

Legend
I see her criminal contact as a network, more than any one individual. A drugs gang in modern terms, although she prefers not to carry drugs. Kynee has no ideological commitment to the criminal group - purely a business relationship. They get a useful courier, she gets some coin, information and useful contacts.

The criminal group I imagined is Nilfgaardian. Anytime an officious government crushes people, the underworld steps in. I'd be happy for it to be racially based - primarily a Dwarven group, so a quadroon Witcher wouldn't be obviously associated.
I like that, and can definitely work the criminal group into the picture. So Kynee might be bringing some sort of alchemical solution to the elves that is believed to mutate plants so they can grow in harsh barren soil conditions. Her smuggling contacts advised her of the job involving Odvara and gave advice about how to avoid Nilfgaardian patrols near the Nilfgaard occupied Aedirn & Dol Blathanna border.

A bit of politics to explain what I'm thinking... Dol Blathanna may be the elven nation, but the elves mostly restrict themselves to the upper reaches of the valley and the Blue Mountains. Elves once lived in such harmony with the land that they had no need of agriculture. Now that the land has changed due to human influence and no longer gives the elves what they need they are struggling to provide enough food for their people in the rocky harsh terrain. The lowlands of the valley - the Posada region - are abundant with rich loamy soils that make crops grow fast and large, and the human peasants are well versed in agriculture. However, the elves rarely deign to interact with the humans of Posada either out of pride or for other reasons.

Easy fix! Tell me, what is Gwent?
Collectible card game that was created for the Witcher 3 game, with some commonalities to Magic the Gathering. Hmm, it might be a bit cheesy actually. It made sense in the context of the video game but I'll have to see how it translates to the tabletop...er play-by-post...medium. If you own the Tabletop Simulator program there's a mod out that lets you play Gwent outside of Witcher 3.

Glad to see you're ok with sex and sexuality in the setting. Some DMs freak out. :)
I'm naturalistic about mature content, meaning if it suits the group and the game then I tend to embrace it whatever it is.

The million dollar question.... How much of the explanatory notes to Kynee do you want in the RG? :)
No need to include them. I'm making a file where I keep bullet point notes of your characters to help with adventure writing.

I was thinking about the empowered use of the Axii sign this morning. Undetectable charm cast as an action is a powerful effect for 3rd level. What do you think about level controlled access to the empowered signs? Say at 7th level?
Hmm, you bring up a good point. The empowered Sign effects definitely feel more like 3rd level spells now that I compare them. How'd you settle on 7th level? Were you looking at warlock Invocations?

Axel

First Post
Yes, I was thinking warlock invocations. Now that I did into the sign mechanics though, I need some more clarity. The at-will effect is simple and appropriate for level 2. The others, I am not so sure

So, you can use any known sign in combat. Then afterwards you can't use a sign until you recharge by concentrating for a round? And burning the power effect means you need to concentrate for two rounds to use any sign again? With a maximum of Wis modifier recharges per rest.

In that case, they are basically 1 per combat effects usable a maximum of Wis modifier times per rest. Kinda sorta like invocations...

Some empowered signs are epically awesome. Aard gives a 15' cone "breath attack" with a Dex save vs stun until end of the opponents next turn (ouch!).

Axii gives no save versus charm (I think, I might be reading that wrong) and the victim won't remember it. Win every RP challenge ever! :)

Heliotrope is ok. It's powerful, but not a win button (the at will effect being pretty hopeless).

Empowered Igni could ruin a swarming monster encounter (set all the orcs or ogres or human warriors on fire - they die or miss their next turn).

Empowered Quen could break some powerful solo monsters on the first round!

Yrden is ok - I can't see too many abuses. Granting 5d6 radiant damage attacks at 2nd level might be a tad premature though. :)

Quickleaf

Legend
Yes, I was thinking warlock invocations. Now that I did into the sign mechanics though, I need some more clarity. The at-will effect is simple and appropriate for level 2. The others, I am not so sure
Great, thanks for the feedback! I agree that empowered signs should be limited to 7th level or thereabouts.

So, you can use any known sign in combat. Then afterwards you can't use a sign until you recharge by concentrating for a round? And burning the power effect means you need to concentrate for two rounds to use any sign again? With a maximum of Wis modifier recharges per rest.

In that case, they are basically 1 per combat effects usable a maximum of Wis modifier times per rest. Kinda sorta like invocations...
Yes, invocations was what I based them off of. And yes, you've got everything right except that bolded section.

Imagine a 7th level Witcher who knows the Axii, Igni, and Quen signs. He was 14 Wisdom, so he may recharge two signs before needing a short/long rest.

He casts an empowered Axii to charm the castellan, burning his use of the Igni sign as well. If he wants to use Axii again, he must concentrate for one round to recharge it. Likewise, if he wants to use Igni, he must concentrate for one round to recharge it. Alternately, he could just take a short rest and all his signs are restored.

Some empowered signs are epically awesome. Aard gives a 15' cone "breath attack" with a Dex save vs stun until end of the opponents next turn (ouch!).
Yes, that is too powerful. It should be "incapacitated" instead of stunned, since in 5e incapacitated is actually the less severe condition.

Axii gives no save versus charm (I think, I might be reading that wrong) and the victim won't remember it. Win every RP challenge ever! :)
Lol. Yes, there is supposed to be a Wisdom save for the empowered use of Axii just as there is with the regular combat use.

Heliotrope is ok. It's powerful, but not a win button (the at will effect being pretty hopeless).
I would LOVE to hear any ideas for how to make the Heliotrope at-will more useful :D:D:D
How about a reaction to gain resistance to damage from falling or colliding with an object? That sorta models how Gerald uses it in The Last Wish against the bruxa. Or maybe mitigating forced movement / getting knocked prone from magic? That might model it even better...

Empowered Igni could ruin a swarming monster encounter (set all the orcs or ogres or human warriors on fire - they die or miss their next turn).
Yes, that's the idea behind it. Sort of a scaling burning hands.

Empowered Quen could break some powerful solo monsters on the first round!
Ack, true! It should be: The first time a melee attack hits you while you’ve erected Quen, the attacker takes lightning damage equal to the half of damage it dealt (rounded down). In addition, when the barrier ends, all creatures within 5 feet of you are pushed back 5 feet.

So the damage isn't an ongoing thing, it's just retaliation against the first melee attack made against you.

Yrden is ok - I can't see too many abuses. Granting 5d6 radiant damage attacks at 2nd level might be a tad premature though. :)
True! Establishing a 7th level limit for using empowered signs should nip that one in the bud.

Thanks again for the critique :) I'm updating the document with them tonight.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases