This Weekend @ TheBoxOffice: 2015_Jun.15

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
'Jurassic World' Indomitable, Rex Box Office
by Keith Simanton --- June 14, 2015

Doubling the original weekend estimate proffered by Universal Jurassic World is now coming in at a reported $204.6M ($204,596,380) for its opening weekend, the 2nd biggest of all time, taking an Express Pass by this May's Avengers: Age of Ultron ($191.2M) and almost catching Marvel's The Avengers ($207.4).

World, which nicely also doubled as a confirmation that Chris Pratt is an A-list lead, pulled in a healthy $47.8K per theater in 4,274 venues. That number just makes it the best top weekend theater average over The Avengers' $47.7K average.

Also stunning is the $307.2M the film made overseas for a cumulative $511.8M worldwide opening, which is the highest global bow in history, and not by some slim margin. It is the first time a film has ever grossed more than $500 million in one weekend. That foreign box office is the second- highest international opening in history, behind Warner Bros. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 at $314M. Jurassic World can also claim the title of Universal's highest-grossing international weekend by a large margin, beating the previous record holder Furious 7 with $250.4M

Not only is Jurassic World the biggest opening domestic weekend that Universal has ever had (the next closest film is Furious 7 with $147.1M) it's the biggest that co-financier Legendary has ever had, which includes the Dark Knight films.

Jurassic World outperformed even the most optimistic of forecasts for the last four days, surprising nearly everyone. Its $82.8M Friday was the third best Friday opening on record, with only Age of Ultron ($84.4M) and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 ($91M) still ahead of it.

Universal put Saturday at $69.7 million so that means they're estimating today's take at $52.1M for a total of $204.6.

Things look rosy for the film in the future as well with an "A" Cinema Score, with audience attendance splitting up 52% Male and 48% female. 39% were under age 25 and 61% age 25 and over. Approximately 50% of the international box office came from 3D.

Attachments

• 2015_Jun15.JPG
    2015_Jun15.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 76

Jhaelen

First Post
I was just thinking if it did that well maybe I should go see it.
reminds me of the following: "Eat :):):):) - Billions of Flies Can't Be Wrong" ;)

Back in the days I already skipped 'Jurassic Park' when everybody and their dogs went to see it in the cinema.

The novel was okay, though...

Dog Moon

Adventurer
reminds me of the following: "Eat :):):):) - Billions of Flies Can't Be Wrong" ;)

Back in the days I already skipped 'Jurassic Park' when everybody and their dogs went to see it in the cinema.

That reminds me of this one episode of 1,000 Ways to Die. This one person for some reason loved to eat dirt. Some weird habit that the person couldn't break. She would sneak into her neighbor's yard and grab small handfuls of dirt from the garden. Well apparently one day the gardener decided to give the garden nutrients, by supplying it with his own, uh, waste. So then along comes the dirt eater and apparently eating the combined dirt + waste. The waste basically somehow [I don't remember the exact details] caused her body to shut down and killed her.

TOTALLY unrelated to the thread of course. On topic, I still haven't seen the movie. As with most movies at some point I'll probably just Redbox it. Very few movies do I actually go see in theaters.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
That reminds me of this one episode of 1,000 Ways to Die. This one person for some reason loved to eat dirt. Some weird habit that the person couldn't break. She would sneak into her neighbor's yard and grab small handfuls of dirt from the garden. Well apparently one day the gardener decided to give the garden nutrients, by supplying it with his own, uh, waste. So then along comes the dirt eater and apparently eating the combined dirt + waste. The waste basically somehow [I don't remember the exact details] caused her body to shut down and killed her.

TOTALLY unrelated to the thread of course. On topic, I still haven't seen the movie. As with most movies at some point I'll probably just Redbox it. Very few movies do I actually go see in theaters.

Geophagia - eating of dirt
giardiasis, cryptosporidiosis, and shigellosis -- some of the illness caused by human waste

Dog Moon

Adventurer

In another thread Bullgrit had the exact same idea as me: it made so much money it should be worth seeing, right? Heh, apparently he didn't think in the end it was really worth seeing. It sounds like another in a long history of movies that are designed to try to wow you with effects but don't have much story... which means yeah, this will be another movie in a long line of movies that I simply Redbox.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
If you know those off the top of your head... I'm impressed.
The first one, yes, but it was just in something I was watching (movie about two cops vs evil, they came across a girl that was doing it. Had one of those "gee, that rings a bell" moments. The diseases were listed when I was looking up the spelling.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases