4e, Dungeon World, or Cortex + Fantasy Heroic

What to do with the play by post game after this first climax?

For anyone following along this Play By Post, we're quickly drawing to a climax in this first part of the game. Curtain is going to drop pretty soon whether it be a TPK or victory parade for the good guys. We're pretty much indifferent whether we continue the game via Dungeon World or if we move it to D&D 4e or Cortex + Fantasy Heroic (Hacker's Guide). The characters will map well to either of those systems. There, of course, is a lot of overlap between these three systems but plenty of system nuance that separates the play experience as well.

So anyone who is following along and cares enough to vote, I figured I'd put it a poll up sooner rather than later. Feel free to post and we can discuss the differences in the three systems if anyone wants/cares to.

Last edited:

Have there been some issues with the system you're currently using? If not, why change?

Nope, no issues. We're huge fans of Dungeon World and all the PBtA games. Same goes for 4e (as you know) and the Cortex + systems. Doing a game on the PBP section here, rather than just email, basically just allows it to be a repository to refer to during relevant forum conversations and allows folks who might want to follow along to see how a game would be run in various systems. We're not wedded to running the next part of the game via DW so I figured it might be an opportunity for interested folks who are following the PBP to contrast the play procedures, subtle (or not so subtle) nuance, and output of one system versus another.

Also, it kind of serves as free advertising for systems that I like! I personally find proficient play examples to be more instructive for folks who are considering a system than just reading a book or a blurb.

[MENTION=16586]Campbell[/MENTION] , Cortex + Heroic Fantasy out in the lead! Your singular vote may carry the day! Huzzah (I suppose :) )!

Tecklenburg

Explorer
Yeeeeeeeeeah...gonna have to cast my vote for continuing with Dungeon World.

Major turnout by the way. We're gonna need a bigger ballot box.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Yeeeeeeeeeah...gonna have to cast my vote for continuing with Dungeon World.

Major turnout by the way. We're gonna need a bigger ballot box.

It's in the General Topics/"Older D&D" board. We're lucky when a thread gets 10% of the interest that an average thread gets in the current-edition board. It's one of my bigger reasons for being disappointed about 5e; it's almost impossible to get lots of attention up about 4e stuff anymore.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases