D&D 5E Fifth Age: A hard science fiction 5e conversion

bganon

Explorer
It currently takes a massive supercomputer 40 minutes to simulate about 2% of the human brain for a single second. Given the huge interconnectedness of neurons, simulating 100% of the brain is much more than 50 times harder; it's probably at least trillions of times harder. Even with something like Moore's law, which is actually running into problems now that CPUs are pushing physical size limits, it's gonna be a while. Right now a full simulation (only partial ones have been done) of the neural activity of a cockroach would be a major accomplishment, and would require far more resources than the actual insect.

Computers have been "passing" Turing tests for decades. Eliza was considered by some to have passed, and it's successors in the 70s fooled a lot of people. Chatbots today fool a lot of people. They're still pretty stupid, and completely incapable of functioning outside an extremely narrow domain.

DeanP

Explorer
This is pretty good. I was mulling doing something this for the Alien universe. Colonial Marines, Corporate Mercenaries and all that. This will give me a good idea of how to begin.

SHAFFSTER

First Post
love it! This looks like it'll be a good fit for a home brew sci-fi setting I've been thinking of. I like what you did with the human and robot sub races and holy moly that's a lot of backgrounds. Everything fits well and it's all wonderfully thematic. I'm interested in what you'll do for space ship rules. I saw the space ship sheet posted a few pages back and it looks cool and I'm looking forward to more.

I just have a couple of points of critique I can think of at the moment:

1). I'm not a fan of the mechanics behind the Ace. If I'm reading it right they can get 3x the inspiration dice than the captain can (captain->CHA=5, ace->level+CHA=15)? And the Aces capstone is Action surge 15+ times per day? I think a better way to build an ace would be to use something like the battlemaster maneuvers. Here's my take.

Ace:
lead by example: at level 4 you can use your inspiration ability on yourself. In addition choose 3 maneuvers, when you expend an inspiration die you gave yourself you may choose to use one of these maneuvers instead. (Most of the battlemaster maneuvers would work just fine but you could add some dogfight specific ones)

evasive maneuvers: as a reaction you may add your proficiency bonus to the AC of the ship you are piloting for the next attack against you. (Just the defensive duelist feat applied to space ships)

Top Gun: [same as the fighters action surge ability]. (Same idea but a bit more reasonable I think. Probably 2 uses per short rest because it's a capstone)

2). I really like the operative but there are 2 things I would change. First I would change the scoundrels "grant yourself advantage on an attack" ability to require a bonus action rather than a reaction (reactions on your own turn seems wonky to me). And second I would change the bounty hunters "target is always eligible for sneak attack damage" to "you always deal 1d6 extra damage to your target"(basically the hunters mark spell)

I can hardly wait for my current campaign to wrap up so I can try this.

Capn Charlie

Explorer
Whoo boy, my development of this project has been on the backburner while we played high and now low fantasy.

The last revision I did was back in october. Alright, let me hit up some questions.

The last thing I playtested: I find most feedback saying that players want on the ground action, and not space combat, this has led me more and more to view the ship as a narrative device and not a major component of gameplay. I will still write up the rules (the prototype of which can be found in the older version, near the end).

I got to actually sit and play recently. I rolled (dealt?) a Greylian private detective with a huge fetish for early 20th century noir. He had a comically undersized fedora and a poor grasp of human culture, and made a lot of jokes about probing.

As for the Ace/Captain Inspire Dice: The captain and officer get LEVEL+CHA uses of inspire per day, and the Ace gets (Level*2)+CHA. So ten extra uses at capstone, while the captain gets only 15, but each one can hit multiple party members. A pretty fair trade off overall.

As to the Ace Capstone: This seems a lot better than it actually is, since the ace never gets multiple attacks in a round. Due to my modified action economy, this means that the Ace could.... Bonus action Inspire themselves, make an attack, get an additional action, as a reaction, inspire themselves, Make an attack, receive an additional action, now the ace has no actions or bonus actions to inspire themselves, and make one final attack, for three attacks per round at capstone, same as a marine, but using up 2 of their 25 charges of inspiration. In retrospect, this seems a little extensive, so I am considering giving them inspires equal to LEVEL+(CHA*2) instead.

This is on flavor for me, as the ace is supposed to be a cocky action hero, and getting to hog the limelight and do two or three heroic things is pretty spot on. Remember, those two extra actions can be to run, use devices, fly a ship, or whatever he needs to do to be the cocky fast talking alpha dog he is supposed to be.

As to Evasive Maneuvers: Your way achieves, mechanically and thematically, more or less exactly what I wanted, and in fewer steps. I'll be stealing that.

As for Scoundrel: The reason the scoundrel uses a Reaction is simple... bonus actions are a big commodity in my rules, and having to burn a bonus action for this effect just seemed like a bit much. Bonus actions power dual wielding, enhance autofire rifles, and are used by many class features. Also, I still consider rogue to be a bit underpowered, and having a way to turn on sneak seemed fine at the level.

As for the Bounty Hunter: I like the flat damage buff, that's elegant, it's a legitimate bonus, its perfect. Add that to the list of things I am stealing.

As to Backgrounds: Yes, there are a lot of backgrounds, but you will notice they have very mechanical abilities, and in my initial design are the core flavor and mechanic of a character, especially earthborn humans that may select two. Normal 5e backgrounds tend to be ignored by me as I write my own better story, while these offer a concrete mechanic and stay more firmly in my head while playing the character.

(In our most recent game, a character was a Synthetic with the Celebrity background, and had a head that was a pneumatic clamp painted up like a shark. He was famous for an übertube channel where he takes bites out of things. Several times in the adventure he was recognized on station and put teeth marks in peoples objects in lieu of autographs.)

I will try to push some more cycles of development at this, but right now am deep in a gritty low magic fantasy game (think thieves world, conan, or fafhrd and the grey mouser) and am designing heavily for that. I just got done doing a Weird War 2 game, and the gun rules I worked out here slotted in perfectly. I have struggled for years with guns at the tabletop and feel like I have a good system finally. It is what I will use if I convert over my PF post apocalyptic rules.

Pandaemoni

First Post
Is there a bestiary/Monster Manual for this system? One of the issues I'd have running it would be "time." Statting out every creature or leveled NPC with whom the players would interact would be an issue.

Mortilupo

Explorer
Martial Arts

The MMA proved disappointing for traditional martial arts styles, such as Kung Fu, Karate, and so on.

Essentially the wrestler and the dirty fighter win real fights.

On the other hand, urban environments necessitate close combat and contact combat. Militaries today train soldiers in modern martial arts styles (that integrate wrestling and dirty fighting) because these skills are necessary to survive.
Most militaries train in Close Quarter Combat that "barrow" manuvers from other styles, removing the flash and rely on the gritty forms, after all, the purpose is to incompasitate and/ or kill your foe. For game purposes, a feat or two that gave a increased die for CQB would work fine without adding a whole new class.

Mostmi

Remove ads