DRAGON+ #1

aramis erak

Legend
2 out of 5 rating for DRAGON+ #1

This issue has no use in play - it's almost all corporate hype. Except for the Editor's letter, which won't scroll and so I can't read it. The low signal to noise is exacerbated by the apps absolutely horrible interface. One game-useful article fleshes out the setting a bit.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.

I had high hopes for a magazine app calling itself Dragon+; would this be the crunchy, flavor-y goodness I came to know back in the golden age of print Dragon, with bonuses for being an app-based magazine?Sadly, I was very much let down. Much of the content is either ads, or interviews that read like press releases. A few items are of gaming interest, but the goliath article is basically just an edited version of the material on goliaths from the Elemental Evil Player's Guide (which is linked in the article itself!). the 'Ye Olde Magical Emporium' article is just a list of products with links to the Gale Force Nine online store.There's a new Scott Kurtz comic if you like that kind of thing (I'm kind of in a post-Kurtz mode myself, so I tend to skip it), and the Dessarin Valley travelogue is interesting for those about to play the Princes of the Apocalypse adventure or anyone with an interest in Realmslore, so the app isn't a total waste of time. Plus it's free, so any value is good compared to the price. Still, I can't help but think this had the potential to be so much more, had people been able to take the time to actually craft a great web magazine rather than rush out a mediocre one.

MartyW

Explorer

A full review is posted at my blog (see links), but I will summarize here.

Issue #1 is advertising content from one end to the other. The few "feature" articles serve as advertising in disguise. The amount of gaming content gotten from Issue #1 is extremely limited.

The app itself is a bit buggy and unstable (and has gotten worse, not better with Issue #2). Even the social media aspect of the app isn't that great as the browser contained within the app does not display non-mobile friendly content well (as opposed to mobile Safari or Chrome for example). This is most surprising as iOS apps can take advantage of the browser libraries built-in (the same ones Safari uses), so there is really no excuse for having a bad browser experience from within an app.

Sure, it's free... but a turd is still a turd even if it don't cost nothin'.

Full review of all articles:
http://ragingowlbear.blogspot.com/2015/05/dragon-issue-1-exactly-what-were-not.html

Last edited:

alfarobl

Explorer

Not a real magazine IMHO. Wish it was something useful to RPG players with good advice and info instead of main marketing topics.

Henry

Autoexreginated
1 out of 5 rating for DRAGON+ #1

...or your great granddad's, or even yours for that matter.It's a house organ, pure and simple, full of "coming soon" advertisements that don't even contain previews or meaningful content that would really show me a reason why I'd want the subject product, just a bunch of statements of how great it will be when it's here. Not even one page previews, no examples of the game features for video games, no specifics on the characters I could play, etc. In short, VERY disappointed, and a double disappointment by using the name Dragon+ to imply it bears any resemblance of the defunct magazine.

Quickleaf

Legend
3 out of 5 rating for DRAGON+ #1

DRAGON+ does exactly what it sets out to do, which is to keep you up to date on what's happening with D&D the brand, lore, current design, etc. The limited scope of the app is explained right there in Chris Perkins' introduction and Matt Chapman's editor's letter.However, can you blame us for expecting it to deliver something more? Specifically, something more in line with what the original Dragon magazine offered?No, you can't. Here's why:Wizards of the Coast is explicitly drawing parallels between the old Dragon magazine and the DRAGON+ app, setting up false expectations. Take these two quotes from the first issue of DRAGON+ for instance.
Matt Chapman said:
Dragon+ take the traditional magazine format to the next level, making it more interactive and allowing you to enjoy it anywhere on smartphones, tablets, or computers.
Chris Perkins said:
Dragon+ is a digital descendant of a much older print publication called Dragon magazine, which was for many years a colossus in the gaming industry. Before the Internet, Dragon was how we got D&D news and previews…
The fallacy here is that yes, Dragon magazine was a source of D&D news and previews, and yes, it also had advertisements for upcoming products (and not just from TSR/WotC either!). However, that was maybe half of what Dragon magazine offered. Arguably even less than half. The other half was stuff gamers used in their D&D games: new player content, new monsters, new magic items, diseases, short adventures, etc.If we compare the table of contents from Dragon #354 (April 2007, Paizo) with this first issue of DRAGON+, we see right off that DRAGON+ is far more focused on the D&D brand exclusive to WotC, has far less diversity of content, and far less content useable in an actual game.Dragon #354From the EditorScale MailFirst WatchCore Beliefs: HeironeousReturn of the ModronsAncient PCsEcology of the KopruSavage Tidings: Totemic SlayersVolo's Guide: CormanthyrDragonmarksSage AdviceGamer GuideClass ActsComicsDRAGON+ "Elemental Evil" issueA Word from the "DM to the Stars"Editor's LetterElemental Evil: Unearth the DeceptionTravel Talk: Sumber HillsProfile: GoliathsInterview: Sword Coast LegendsPlayer Factions: Our "Heroes"?Know Your Enemy: Black DragonCommunity: Elemental TrinketsInterview: Rob OvermeyerYe Old Magic Emporium: Advertisement for DM Screen & Spell CardsComic: Gauntlet GophersWhere it All Started: ToEEFor what it is - a newsstand app - DRAGON+ is about par for the course. However, this is in no way a "digital descendant" of the original Dragon magazines.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Dad
5 out of 5 rating for DRAGON+ #1

Its an app. Its media for Wizards to promote D&D. Its not a magazine, its called Dragon +. Its essentially like Flipbook but for D&D. I like it becase I get it, I enjoy the articles and the ads, the comic strips are a nice touch and the presentation is excitingly clever.

Remove ads