What aspect of geek culture does not resonate with you?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
What I don't agree with: junk food. Why do you have to be unhealthy to be a geek?

You don't, of course. I think you have to be unhealthy to be a teenager, and most of us probably pick up the junk food snacks thing as teens.

I mean, when was the last time you saw a teen grab a bag of carrots when gathering with other teens?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I saw it once...but he was throwing it away like a soldier flipping a live grenade away from his brothers in arms.

"CARROTS!!!"

;)

I must not be a geek cause my list of nots are bigger than ares....

Know little about computers
HATE computer games
Limited interest in Anime
Could do without Fire Fly and Star Trek (please- don't throw rotten tomatoes)
Don't do much for Conventions
Enjoy sports

Jhaelen

First Post
On the whole: LARPing and Cosplay.
Oh, right. that's something I'm not into at all. LARPing makes me feel silly in a way that pen & paper RPGs never do. That, and I just don't like costumes / being costumed - I also hate Mardi Gras and Halloween (at least partially) for that reason.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I don't Cosplay, but I can understand and appreciate it to some extent, LARPing...well, I've only done some sparring.

Ryujin

Legend
I don't Cosplay, but I can understand and appreciate it to some extent, LARPing...well, I've only done some sparring.

While I neither CosPlay nor LARP, I can see the attraction. As with tabletop RPG playing they're both ways of getting out of your own skin, for a little while.

I also think that these may be some of the last refuges of geekdom, that have not been co-opted by pop culture. Despite the fact that we now have professional CosPlayers who look more like supermodels or Hollywood actors than you would ever thin the 'normal' geek might look (yes, there are preconceptions about that), CosPlay is still largely in the wheelhouse of those who would identify themselves as geeks. And LARPing is still LARPing, even though this dirty little secret of the geek world has been revealed to the world through "Knights of Badassdom" and "The Big Bang Theory." It's sort of like how the SCA world is still going strong, so many decades later.

The only points at which I approach either CosPlay or LARPing are my making of costume chain/scale armour, and occasionally considering trying to find a local HEMA club to join.

Sgurr

Villager
I think I have a few geekness activities that doesn't resonate too well with me, so I picked this one, just so I don't get too long-winded.. :D

Board games.

I wasn't a gamer per se when I discovered RPGs in the spring of 1980. After a short while in my new found gaming world, I of course discovered board games. And I really, really wanted to become a great board game fan, as well as a RPG fan. I remember saving loads of cash, taking the train in to Stockholm, walking into the only gaming shop in Sweden at the time (Tradition, in Stockholm's Gamla Stan/Old Town), and buying Squad Leader plus a few expansion. What an orgy in rules and small cardboard chits!! :lol:

Only to play the wonderfully geeky WW2 game approximately.. 1/2 time?

I have since realised that I love board games in theory, but will continue being a boardgamer wannabe rather than a board games geek.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Boardgames are one of those things that I find are quite variable. A bad boardgame can ruin an evening, and a good one can make it. A great one can make you want to play something that sounds terribly boring. :)

Prior to discovering RPGs, the only boardgames I played were Chess, Checkers, and mainstream classics like Monopoly, Risk, Stratego and Life. Post-RPGs, though, my boardgame exposure exploded: Star Fleet Battles, Starfire, Acquire, O.G.R.E./G.E.V., Melee/Wizard, Squad Leader, Diplomacy, Chainmail, the Empire Builder family of games, Pandemic, all those Mythos games...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases