Elite: Dangerous?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Anyone got it? I just grabbed it for the Xbox, did the training missions, and am just flying around practicing navigation and docking right now. It's been on the PC for a while - anyone here gotten anywhere with it?

Janx

Hero
Anyone got it? I just grabbed it for the Xbox, did the training missions, and am just flying around practicing navigation and docking right now. It's been on the PC for a while - anyone here gotten anywhere with it?

i am intrigued by it.

does it do multi-player?

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
I read somewhere that it is an MMO, which turned me off from getting a copy. If it can be played and fully enjoyed solo, that would work best for me. I've always wanted to play through the original Elite since the sandbox space trader type of game excites me, but my DOSBox attempts have usually resulted in me flailing around unsuccessfully.

nerfherder

Explorer
I backed the Kickstarter, but just haven't had time to do anything but the first training mission. I mainly bought it because I loved the original on the BBC micro.

Janx

Hero
I tried the 60 minute trial on the Xbox.

Steep learning curve. You really need to watch the training videos at their website BEFORE you start the trial. I only watched the first video or I'd burn my who trial time.

I did the first 2 combat trainers, then skipped to the last 3 for undocking, docking and traveling between systems. (without watching the training videos)

On the xbox, it won't really let you customize the controls, so that took some getting used to (aka, still not used to)

Did I mention the learning curve is steep. I had to figure out how to engage the FSD to do the jump. And it's tricky getting used to getting your bearings, reading the radar and figuring out what direction to turn. I would have killed for a differentiated roll from turning, so I could correct my attitude relative to the station more easily.

I like the idea of it, but I don't know if I have time to master it so I can get to the fun part.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That's interesting. I did the exact same thing (though I paid for more than the 60 minutes). I didn't experience a steep learning curve, though. I found it really easy.

Janx

Hero
Well, I rushed through it, and didn't finish the travel to system mission, which was feature wise, the most complicated.

On the first undock trainer, I apparently didn't request permission to leave, so got redflagged.

So on the travel mission, I spent time trying to find how to request an undock, which I couldn't (talking to the station isn't under Comms, go figure)

So I said screw it and punched it through the door. no warning that time.

then was hunting through the menu to find how to use FSD. Finding was hard. using was easy.

After that, I came out by the sun, and took a while to realize I needed the System map to activate the destination point for the station. After doing that, I bounced into the sun which dropped me out of FTL speed, which left me stranded while the last seconds ticked off and I finally knew where the station was.

I imagine with no timer, some of this would be been easier to take the time to figure out. or watch the training video for.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I watched the training videos before starting each training mission. Did 'em all first time except for the more difficult combat one where enemies come at you in waves - the last (big) ship is impossible! The only difficulty I experienced was that I couldn't work out how to drop out of FTL travel and kept flying past stuff - in the end, it turned out its the exact same control you use to activate it.

It's a bit buggy - it' a preview build - so the bulletin board doesn't work yet. That means I've done little more than just fly around.

Janx

Hero
I watched the training videos before starting each training mission. Did 'em all first time except for the more difficult combat one where enemies come at you in waves - the last (big) ship is impossible! The only difficulty I experienced was that I couldn't work out how to drop out of FTL travel and kept flying past stuff - in the end, it turned out its the exact same control you use to activate it.

It's a bit buggy - it' a preview build - so the bulletin board doesn't work yet. That means I've done little more than just fly around.

been watching some vids now. most of the vids seem PC focussed, so xbox has some control/menu differences.

I'm tempted to get it, but it's $30 and I'd at least like to be sure I'll have fun and have people to play with.

Remove ads