I have a job

Nellisir

Hero
This is kinda new and I'm still processing it, so I haven't talked about it too much. Not even my family really knows.

But, I now work for these people.

http://www.playbydesignonline.com/

Limited work right now - they're still growing the company - but they keep ramping up the things they want me to do, which is amazing. I'm working for the next week or two building a local play structure, and then getting re-certified as a playground safety inspector (yes, it's a real thing and it's terrifying). And when I'm not working for them, I've got a standing offer to work for a local contractor who also works for them, and knows how the schedule goes (when I go on builds, I'll be gone for a week at a time). I'm getting a real paycheck for the first time in ages, doing creative, interesting work that I like doing and know how to do, with really cool people.

Downside is that yes, it can be a lot of travel. They work all over the US and internationally, so there's potentially huge amounts of travel. (I REALLY need to get a new passport....)

But...PLAYGROUNDS!!! :D

sabrinathecat

Explorer
So, to recap, you have a job...
You have a job that is interesting...
You have a job that involved playgrounds and people having fun...
I'm not jealous. No. Not on any or all of those three counts. Absolutely not. Never get me to admit it either. No Never. Well...

Dioltach

Legend
That's great, congrats! This must be one of the coolest jobs in the world.

A while ago I was working on a large project for some urban developers, and one of the developments they discussed was a different kind of playground: apparently want kids *really* enjoy is an area that they can affect: some running water and blocks of wood to build a dam, wooden boards and sand to build forts, that kind of thing. They also like it if there are higher and lower areas and they can play in hidden "pockets", because this gives them a sense of independence. These kinds of playground are becoming incredibly popular, apparently: I read about one that could be booked for children's parties, but it was full for the next six months. Does your company do anything like this?

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Congrats, Nellisir!

And regarding the downside of having to travel you might want to prepare an assortment of RPG characters and drop in to groups in different places. :)

Nellisir

Hero
That's great, congrats! This must be one of the coolest jobs in the world.

A while ago I was working on a large project for some urban developers, and one of the developments they discussed was a different kind of playground: apparently want kids *really* enjoy is an area that they can affect: some running water and blocks of wood to build a dam, wooden boards and sand to build forts, that kind of thing. They also like it if there are higher and lower areas and they can play in hidden "pockets", because this gives them a sense of independence. These kinds of playground are becoming incredibly popular, apparently: I read about one that could be booked for children's parties, but it was full for the next six months. Does your company do anything like this?

The short answer is yes.

The US has the most restrictive playground guidelines in the world, essentially, whereas Western Europe (and particularly your area) are much more free-thinking and free-play oriented. US playground designs have become less complex to allow for more (literal) transparency, so the cops can drive by and see that there aren't teenagers hanging out at night, and parents don't have to budge off their benches to watch the kids. A lot of US playgrounds are pre-fabricated metal (or plastic) equipment bolted together, which is inexpensive and simple to assemble. And as a result, you get a bunch of playground equipment that's bolted together.

They (we!) do custom-designed playgrounds and play structures. Play By Design's structures create more of a play "environment" - castles, towers, boats, forts, etc, etc - that includes playground equipment within it. It's a much more complex space. Different levels, different spaces, different types of play. The older designs, from the Leathers, which is the company Play By Design spun out of, are amazing. We did a rebuild on one, and it took me two hours to figure out how many ladders there were in the structure (I thought four; turned out to be three).

Those kinds of free-play and independent play playgrounds you're talking about are awesome. I love them. That's very much the kind of creativity and environment we want! :)

Nellisir

Hero
Congrats, Nellisir!

And regarding the downside of having to travel you might want to prepare an assortment of RPG characters and drop in to groups in different places. :)

I thought about that, but the business model is custom-designed, community-built playgrounds. If I show up at your group, it's going to be to grab everyone and drag them back to the build to MAKE PLAYGROUND!

If you build the monkey bars, yes, you can be the first one on them. ;)

Generally I get to the site Tuesday & take a look around; work 7am-8pm or so Wednesday-Saturday overseeing the build and the volunteers (3 shifts a day, 20-50 volunteers per shift); work Sunday 7-2 or so; and head home Sunday afternoon or evening. It's pretty f*ing intense.

Janx

Hero
well that is cool.

you have a job that helps people, makes things, and provides joy to kids. That is some of the best traits to have in a job I think.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
So, to recap, you have a job...
You have a job that is interesting...
You have a job that involved playgrounds and people having fun...
I'm not jealous. No. Not on any or all of those three counts. Absolutely not. Never get me to admit it either. No Never. Well...

-~-Torture ensues for 72 consecutive hours-~*​

Admit it! you are soooo jealous!!! tell us the truth now!!!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases