UPDATE: Politics/Religion no longer permitted again!

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
I'll be honest, I hope that the politics and religion experiment comes to an end as well. I talk about those things in LOTS of contexts (being a guy whose field is politics and religion), and I always appreciated the fact that I could leave all that behind at ENWorld.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So, honest question:

The threads in question are clearly marked. You never have to enter into one. The mere presence of them is an issue, even if you never have to take part?

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
So, honest question:

The threads in question are clearly marked. You never have to enter into one. The mere presence of them is an issue, even if you never have to take part?

Honest answer: Not for me. I choose in a cognoscente level.

Last edited:

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
Yeah. Speaking only on the basis of my own reaction, it changes the tone of the forum, and my fear is that politics discussions may begin to dominate the first page of the forum, so that to find topics I might actually be interested in discussing here, I'll have to click a few pages back. When I got back into gaming after a long hiatus, I made a promise to myself I would keep politics and religion out of it, and just concentrate on the gaming fun. For the most part, I've managed to keep to that, and I always liked that ENWorld was a politics/religion free zone. Obviously, others may feel differently, but I do admit to a bit of disappointment to all of a sudden coming here to find a number of politics threads. Not the end of the world by any means, but disappointment nonetheless.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well, like I said (was it in this thread or elsewhere?) I'm working on an easy solution to that so you can just ignore 'em all in one fell sweep.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Well, like I said (was it in this thread or elsewhere?) I'm working on an easy solution to that so you can just ignore 'em all in one fell sweep.

I remember you saying something about a sub-forum for politics and religion. is that what you referred to?

Janx

Hero
I reckon we done better with the topics at hand that has happened in the past.

At there's only like 3-4 active politics threads right now.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
This ain't the place to ask, but I'll ask anyway. Could be possible to unsticky some threads in this section? It is starting to be crowded at the top and they aren't all active. Maybe one thread could be made about the rules of the Misc. section?

So,it's been a few months and I feel that we should go back to not having politics or religion discussed because it basically goes back to being an echo chamber in the threads being that "Conservatives or Republicans are bad" and some posters are basically rubbing against the line as it were when it comes to posting in such topics.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
So,it's been a few months and I feel that we should go back to not having politics or religion discussed because it basically goes back to being an echo chamber in the threads being that "Conservatives or Republicans are bad" and some posters are basically rubbing against the line as it were when it comes to posting in such topics.

Yeah, it's subtle, but there's definitely a hostility towards the right (at least the US right). I think that it would be mostly invisible if you weren't of the right, but it's there. And I say this as someone that is used to that kinds of hostility and engages it often -- I like to argue politics on the internet. I know, that makes me a bad person, but I'm okay with that.

Also, since mods that are participating in the threads and seem generally left leaning, I think a lot of the low grade insults and sweeping generalizations are just not even registering with them. I suppose that answer to that is to report them, but it's less of a 'this post is clearly over the line' as it is a pattern across many posts. Makes it difficult to determine if/when to report.

Remove ads