D&D 5E Witcher: Mother of Monsters

Shayuri

First Post
Talashia has the best intelligence. Everyone says so. [roll0]

...which is good because her PLAYER forgot to include her proficiency bonus, since she's trained in Arcana!

Total is 21, not 19.

Quickleaf

Legend
After a moment, Talashia spots the bit of flecked away coppery gilding that Fergus revealed. The dark luster of the dense mineral beneath the gilding...that has to be dimeritium. Even handling it leaves an almost cold feeling in Talashia's fingertips; perhaps Elora hadn't noticed the effect as she never studied with the Lodge of Sorceresses and seems to barely have control over her magic. Dimeritium was only fashioned into jewelry for two purposes: to protect a creature from magic, or, more commonly, to prevent a sorceress from casting spells.

The runes were clearly arcane inscriptions made by someone familiar with astrological and alchemical symbols. Talashia recognizes a quincunx on the obsidian triangle, which is said to represent the totality of a person's elemental constituents rather than the individual parts. It is a symbol of integration and strength, but also represents the alchemist's desire to convert base matter into something rarified. Several lesser known planetary symbols correspond with protection, lending credence to Barakor's theory.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Talashia's eyes widened for a moment as she uncovered the true substance of the amulet, and her face settled into a frown as she turned it over, examining the strange engravings on its surfaces. Interesting.

"It was made to be a shield, I think," she says after the minutes stretch. "But for one of us, it's also a cage. I don't think it was made by a sorceress though. It's not impossible, but these inscriptions are taken from alchemical traditions. And an alchemist would understand the properties of dimeritium, and how to use it properly."

The weather witch pushed the thing away and tapped the tabletop with a finger.

"I suppose...since she hasn't been trained and may be the target of hostile magic...this may be something she should have. As much as it offends me to say it. There's a danger though in her learning to depend on this sort of thing to protect herself. Better she learn to USE her gifts."

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Elora laid a reassuring hand on Odvara's shoulder.

"In case you haven't been following the conversation, we aren't entirely sure what this necklace is for. It could help you but it could maybe also... I don't want to say harm you, but it could keep you from using your powers. We are unsure why this Sorceress just happened to be here and just happened to give this to you. It seems odd, do you not think?"

Quickleaf

Legend
[SECTION]Quietly blowing on a spoonful of hot porridge, Odvara smiles a bit abashedly at Elora's gentle gesture. Everything seemed odd this far into elven lands. She was a young woman a very long way away from Gulet, after all.

"I guess it was foolish of me to think that all sorceresses were kindred spirits with each other," she says hesitantly, glancing to Talashia and then up the stairs that Margarita retired to after exchanging repartee with Fergus. As you finish your meal and repast, Odvara chews her lip introspectively, studying the window of the Sojourner Plough inn.

In the background, the innkeeper Henriette and her bumbling husband Guilehelm bicker about this and that. A marriage not built on bliss but critique-by-one-thousand-strokes. Eventually, the innkeeper wins. It seems she always does.

"Do you think Nilfgaard would ever come this far? To Lower Posada? My mother– I used to think she was argumentative, but," she gestures to Henriette wagging her finger after Guilehelm, "they're something else. My mother was...involved with a Nilfgaardian officer." Odvara enunciates the word 'involved' with contempt. "He couldn't send an envoy this far into elf lands?" The young woman's political understanding was immature indeed.

After a moment's pause, she asks, "What will you do next?"[/SECTION]

Shayuri

First Post
"I doubt an officer could do anything like that unless he had a great deal of support," Talashia reassures Odvara. "The officers don't make that much more coin than their soldiers I believe. Not unless they have roots in a great family."

She heaved a sigh. "As for next? Why, we find this Nan woman I suppose. Find out why the elves give her such a wide berth. Resolve that situation, whatever that entails...then get you to where you're going."

Talashia gave Odvara a tired smile. "That'll be nice, hm? Leave all this behind and start anew."

Quickleaf

Legend
GM: So, in the hopes of moving the game forward from "indeterminably long tavern drag", I'm paging everyone. [MENTION=6672752]Aramalian[/MENTION] [MENTION=6798581]Azurewraith[/MENTION] [MENTION=93196]Axel[/MENTION] [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] [MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION]

First, there are lots of clues floating around, but your party seems to be directionless – lots of talk about doing something, but no one actually taking action. I feel like you're waiting for me to introduce a BANG scenario because you don't know what to do? Or are you just enjoying a slower pace conversing in the tavern and so forth?

Second, [MENTION=93196]Axel[/MENTION] it's been a while since you've posted. Hope everything is OK! We do have 2 players on the waitlist – we have [MENTION=6693285]Disposable Hero[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6874206]Jaxon[/MENTION] – so if I don't hear from you by end of April, I'm going to retire Kynee and invite these 2 to join in your stead.

Aramalian

Explorer
GM: So, in the hopes of moving the game forward from "indeterminably long tavern drag", I'm paging everyone. [MENTION=6672752]Aramalian[/MENTION] [MENTION=6798581]Azurewraith[/MENTION] [MENTION=93196]Axel[/MENTION] [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] [MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION]

First, there are lots of clues floating around, but your party seems to be directionless – lots of talk about doing something, but no one actually taking action. I feel like you're waiting for me to introduce a BANG scenario because you don't know what to do? Or are you just enjoying a slower pace conversing in the tavern and so forth?

Second, [MENTION=93196]Axel[/MENTION] it's been a while since you've posted. Hope everything is OK! We do have 2 players on the waitlist – we have [MENTION=6693285]Disposable Hero[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6874206]Jaxon[/MENTION] – so if I don't hear from you by end of April, I'm going to retire Kynee and invite these 2 to join in your stead.
Barakor is just along for the ride until things get sorted out a little more... Kynee was sort of his tie-in to the group so he doesn't really have any backstory connection to anyone else yet.

Sent via EN World mobile app

Remove ads