D&D 5E Witcher: Mother of Monsters

Axel

First Post
Kynee folded her arms and stood by the door. This spirit is dangerous, but I don't know how to banish it without killing Odvara...

"No, never a ghost," Kynee replied to the first question, unsure if the spirit got one question that they all answered before answering one of the group's. Odvara's body seemed to solve the issue though - its second question seemed clearly directed at Elora. Kynee waited. She would say as little as possible to get through the night...

Queenie

Queen of Everything
After a long pause, Odvara turns her gaze back to Elora. "My question: what is your earliest memory?"

Elora momentarily looks surprised at the question, as if she hadn't considered it before. Even though she already knew the answer, she was never prepared to recall this memory.

She uncomfortably takes a sip of the wine before her. "Well, I'm not really sure it's a memory or a dream I made up but I... I think it was real. Two humans, dressed finely, fussing over me. The man wound up a delicate gold box while the woman played with my hair. Then the melodious tinkle of small chimes filled the carriage we were riding in and the woman held me tightly in her arms as she smiled. They both smiled yet the looked sad. If I really think hard, I feel like I can hear their voices over the music but then they are gone." Elora quickly takes another sip of her wine then sighs. "There is something about the people, I can't put my finger on it. It makes me feel warm and loved yet so terribly sad at the same time. I tell myself it must be a dream. However..." The young white haired woman takes a look at the group, all strangers save one, yet here she is pulling out her most treasured possession.

It is a very finely made golden music box. She places it on the table and pushes it towards Odvara / the Lady of the Lake.

Quickleaf

Legend
There is no wind with the door closed, but the candles flicker all the same when Elora places the music box on the pinewood table. Odvara's brows arch upward in fascination, licking her lips as if anticipation a succulent roast. For a moment, she stretches her fingers out to caress the music box tinkling with a pleasant yet plaintive melody, yet she stops short of actually touching it, simply stroking the object's aura. "What a precious thing. Yes. Yes, you must treasure it. The ghosts of memory can be as powerful as any haunting specter." Sighing wistfully, Odvara emanates a palpable aura of yearning and regret apparent to the druid and sorceresses. "Now, one of you may ask a question. Ask if it pleases you."

Quickleaf

Legend
The spirit possessing Odvara feathers her fingers over the music box, "Ghost? Spirit? Berwyn once, though those memories grow more elusive which each winter...elusive like this one." She nods to the music box. "I do not rightly know. To most I am simply the lady of the lake, and that is enough."

She cocks her head to look at Kynee from the corner of her white eyes. "I know you by your silver sword, witcher. My question: what was your first encounter with a monster like?"

Again, the sorceresses can sense magic flowing thru the spirit's words when she asks the question.

Axel

First Post
Kynee smiled wryly, finally understanding how this game would work. "Fine," she replied, unfolding her arms and stretching them out in front.

"It was nothing glorious. Just centipedes. Big ones. They bleed, so they can be killed. In truth, a confusing blur of body parts and metal. Training is useful and needed, but does not provide complete preparation."

Her question answered, Kynee maintained contact with Odvara (for lack of a name for the thing), as if daring it to try for another.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Ethian, being used to various spirits roaming the land, was tending the food and the fire, almost aloof. Looking at the possessed source, he thought to himself: I wonder where this will lead, as he was stroking Grey, his owl familiar, on the neck.

[sblock=quickleaf]
Ethian will periodically telepathically ask Valerian if he sees anything noteworthy outside the hut. The fey spirit shaped as an elk steed is not attached, and is free to roam the surroundings within the 1 mile telepathic limit.
[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
"My turn," Talashia asked abruptly. She'd heard, and felt, enough. "These questions and answers...you're doing something with them. What?"

Quickleaf

Legend
Stroking her finger around the rim of the earthenware cup holding wine, the spirit in Odvara scrunches up her eyebrows. Talashia's question appears to have stumped her. A smile begins to form on her lips, but what would surely have been an attempt at deflecting the question becomes a haunted answer. "It does get lonely at the bottom of the lake. The answers, they give me company, something to remember fondly on lonesome nights..." Like Talashia, the spirit seems to realize there is more to it than just that, but she also seems to lack an understanding of how the magic works. Unless, of course, this were all an act, some twisted attempt to get them to lower their guard.

Lifting the cup, Odvara holds it while crossing her arms and nodding to Talashia. "Then it is my turn to ask. My question for you: Have you ever harmed another thru no malice but by accident?"

OOC: Anyone can make a DC 18 Wisdom (Insight) check to try to figure out something about this spirit based on what you've heard of her questions & answers so far.

However, fail by 5+ (that is, achieve DC 13 or less) and there could be a bad consequence related to the magic lacing her words.

Shayuri

First Post
Talashia narrows her eyes. "Yes," she replies, but doesn't share more than that. Answering the question, without giving the spirit what it craves. Fulfilling the letter, but not the spirit, so to speak, of the compact.

"Excuse me for a moment. I'm going to take a pause to enjoy the night air outside."

She looks around at the others. "The rest of you may wish to come and join me when you have a chance. Perhaps not all at once, since our guest here must have her diversion. But one or a few at a time."

With a curt nod, the sorceress steps outside of the hut.

Had the others noticed? She wasn't sure. Elora might have the senses, but the girl was too open. Too eager to share. Even if it was sharing her arm with the tiger meaning to chew it off.

You'll not have MY memories to keep you company in that lake, ghost.

(OOC - I have a theory I'm gonna just run with, and waive the insight roll if that's okay. :))

Remove ads