Claims you've never actually heard spoken

Bullgrit

Adventurer
This isn't intended to be political or religious, but I realize my opening example here could be taken as one or the other even though it's not my intention for this to be a political or religious discussion.

There are many random things that I've heard people complain that other people say and do, but that I've never actually encountered anyone actually saying or doing. For instance, I keep coming across arguments against the idea that the Earth is 6,000 years old. Lots and lots of blogs, articles, videos, etc. of people explaining how the Earth is not 6K, but I've never seen one thing from a "young Earth believer" actually making the claim. Now, that may be because I've never sought out those claims. But, then, I've never sought out the counter-argument, either, yet I stumble across them all the time.

What is something that you see a lot of counter-arguments against that you've never encountered the pro-argument for?

Bullgrit

Ryujin

Legend
You don't have to dig very deep to find that sort of comment. Sometimes it's the very people who debunk that sort of thing, who are linking back to those who make the claims. For example, on the religion vs. atheism front, you have people like Youtuber "Armoured Skeptic", who likes to insert Creationist video into his own and then debunk the statements (or occasionally just laugh at them).

I can't really think of anything that I haven't seen the original argument for, because I tend to try and dig up the origins. Maybe this thread will point some out for me?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
As it so happens, I live just a few minutes from a Creation Science Center, and I run into young earthers quite a bit.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Darn those young, small earth elementals! they get hit by the bumper and dents it every time!

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Sometimes it's the very people who debunk that sort of thing, who are linking back to those who make the claims.
I guess I miss those links because I really don't delve into the debunking information that much. I don't believe the Earth is 6,000 years old, and I don't have anyone trying to tell me it is, so I don't need the debunk info. I'd rather spend my time learning about something new, or something old that I just don't yet fully grok.

Bullgrit

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I was going to say that I've never actually heard spoken most of the more outlandish claims about Obama, but a friend recently played for me a video of a very uncomfortable-looking Rick Santorum listen to a woman talk about how Obama needed to be removed from office now, and that we couldn't wait until the next election because we wouldn't make it to the next election with him in office, an example of why that is being how he's fired every military general that said they wouldn't order troops to shoot American citizens.

Youtube: preserving the crazy.

Janx

Hero
I have sat at a dinner where somebody said Obama should be shot and that Obama was caused the deficit. As I understand it, we entered the Obama presidency with a $13 trillion dollar deficit that had accrued during the Bush regime. Clinton left office with no deficit. Bush racked up the bill because we were riding high on the dotcom bubble, and when 911 happened, he didn't raise taxes to fund the war (like all presidents all do). So when the bubble burst, we needed more money, and it got borrowed. I told the guy that.

Ken Ham's debate with Bill Nye should have brought up the 6,000 year old earth. I don't recall hearing it in person. I was surprised to see it on the Sopranos (just finished watching that for the first time). they had a religious dude visiting Tony while in the hospital spouting that nonsense.

I have sat in a church (as a guest of a friend I was visiting), and a parishoner and stood up and was ranting about how "this was a christian nation" in the early 1990s.

I have seen an anti-gun friend on FB post how there have been zero mass killings stopped by somebody with a gun. Somebody else found the link to an article with nine instances where a civillian or off duty cop with a personal weapon stopped or helped stop a mass killing.

I have seen the current meme going on about how obamacare has been the law of the land for 3 years, stop trying to change that, and how the 2nd ammendment has been the law of the land for 222 years, stop trying to change that. The focus on the image is that obama is trying to kill guns. From what I understand, Obama has done nothing about guns in both of his terms. The false claim being to be anti-Obama because he's anti-gun, of which there's no evidence to support that based on his actions.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I have sat at a dinner where somebody said Obama should be shot

I've always wondered whether people who opine that death or violence should be the penalty for disagreement should be committed. It seems to happen a lot on the internet.

Remove ads