Would you use a transporter beam?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Assume the technology dematerializes you, sends information to another location, and then you are reconstructed exactly the same - to the last atom - including all memories. Would you be happy to transport?

Is your answer the same if there is a slight delay between the copy being created and you being dematerialized. So you see your copy appear on the other side of the room, and then you are dematerialized?

For me, I can't help but view it as death. I've been disintegrated, and a clone of me is walking around in my place. It thinks it's me, but it's mistaken; it's a clone of me. And it's so good that nobody else can distinguish. Except I got disintegrated, and that's a copy of me.

That clone, though, in scenario #2 where a slight delay means it sees me in the original transporter booth just before I dematerialize, would know it's the copy. It would know that because it is standing in the destination booth and it's looking at me in the origin booth. In that case, the copy must feel weird knowing that it's a 5-second old copy of me, and that I'm dead.

What about you? It's an old debate, but I always enjoy it!

[video=youtube;pdxucpPq6Lc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdxucpPq6Lc[/video]

Last edited:

A

amerigoV

At work I am changing roles that will require more travel. Just about anything has to be better than the airlines. So count me in as an early adopter!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I honestly don't know.

On the one hand, as a Catholic, I'm essentially a dualist. A dualist believes the self is seperate from the material body.

But...do I believe it in my bones?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
A dualist believes the self is seperate from the material body.

I don't believe that. But operating on an assumption that it is true - does that necessarily mean that a machine can teleport the self?

What about Scenario #2, where there's a slight delay built in? Are you happy to be disintegrated while your copy waves at you (assuming your self either resides now in the copy, or has been duplicated)?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Assume the technology dematerializes you, sends information to another location, and then you are reconstructed exactly the same - to the last atom - including all memories. Would you be happy to transport?

Is your answer the same if there is a slight delay between the copy being created and you being dematerialized. So you see your copy appear on the other side of the room, and then you are dematerialized?

As we understand it today, quantum mechanics answers the question for us, through Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle. You *cannot* be copied *exactly*, as the information about your original body cannot be known *exactly*. There *will* be differences. So, yes, you got disintegrated, and there's a very close copy of you walking around. Star Trek had to invoke gobbledigook (the "Heisenberg Compensators") to get around this :)

In some cases, a person may feel that if the copy is close enough, that's good enough for them. If, for example, this was the only way to get a human to colonize a planet around another star... I might well feel that's a good enough death for me.

But, to get across the room, where I'd see my replacement, and he would see me (and largely feel he was me, even though he'd remember that I said all this, so that we'd both know he wasn't really me)? Isn't using a transporter for that kind of overkill anyway?

I'm not full sure either..i mean it owuld cut down on travle time so that's a plus but i am reminded of this funny bit from Star Trek II The wrath of Khan

McCoy: Where are we going?
Kirk: Where they went.
McCoy: Suppose they went *nowhere*?
Kirk: Then this will be your big chance to get away from it all.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
As we understand it today, quantum mechanics answers the question for us, through Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle. You *cannot* be copied *exactly*, as the information about your original body cannot be known *exactly*. There *will* be differences. So, yes, you got disintegrated, and there's a very close copy of you walking around. Star Trek had to invoke gobbledigook (the "Heisenberg Compensators") to get around this :)

In some cases, a person may feel that if the copy is close enough, that's good enough for them. If, for example, this was the only way to get a human to colonize a planet around another star... I might well feel that's a good enough death for me.

But, to get across the room, where I'd see my replacement, and he would see me (and largely feel he was me, even though he'd remember that I said all this, so that we'd both know he wasn't really me)? Isn't using a transporter for that kind of overkill anyway?

Yes, assume Heisenberg Compensators or whatever other fictional tech is needed to make the fictional teleporter work. It's a thought experiment predicated on the assumption that it works.

And maybe it's a big room. Or it's some where else and you're using a viewscreen.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow

does Quantum Entanglement compensate for Uncertainty?

If it works then I'd be happy to do it, on the belief that our physical bodies are composed of quantum wavicles anyway

my only issue would be not turning in to Jeff Goldblum

returnofthefly1.jpg heeeeelp me

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
I'm pretty sure Star Trek style transporters will remain impossible for the rest of my life. In addition to the Uncertainty problem Umbran raised there's also a computational one - teleporting a single subatomic particle is one thing, but teleporting many billions and then putting them back together in the right order is quite another.

But if one were to become available, I would potentially use them... once the technology was properly mature and gone through three or four generations. Basically, once RyanAir start offering transporter services, it's probably safe to start using the non-budget providers.

Remove ads