D&D - Bringing back the memories

Upgraydd

First Post
For some strange reason I was hit by a nostalgia bug recently - I really want to play old School D&D. Now, I have a had all the original boxed sets bound into a single hard backed book and I went crazy the other day searching the house for it, I new I had it as I'd carefully packed it every time I'd moved in the last 30 years.

I managed to find it and blow the dust off, I even have the original dice that came with the red box. All the memories of my days at school came flooding back. Now to convince some veterans we need to do some D&D the way it was done when we were outcasts at school.

It was so cool to find this site and know that people are still playing original D&D.

joshinminn

Explorer
I loved those box sets. Red and blue, so many hours with those two. Green and black were cool, but I got them too close together and never savored them like the first two. Good times!

Moldvay B/X is my old school system of choice. I will still run or play it any chance that I get. So simple, well organized, and elegant. Best advice for adventure creation crammed into a 64 page game book ever!

Imperialus

Explorer
If it's the Rules Cyclopedia you have that's a pretty good treasure. It's probably one of the most difficult to find (not to mention expensive) D&D books out there. You're usually looking at between 80 and 100 USD. Ones in real good condition can go for upwards of 200 USD.

My personal 'edition' of D&D is built around the Labyrinth Lord retroclone with magic items and monsters from AD&D, mass combat and domain rules from the Rules Cyclopedia, and about 40 pages of assorted house rules up to and including rules for firearms and even science fiction weapons since my campaign draws a lot of inspiration from the 'sword and planet' genre of pulp.

If it's the Rules Cyclopedia you have that's a pretty good treasure. It's probably one of the most difficult to find (not to mention expensive) D&D books out there. You're usually looking at between 80 and 100 USD. Ones in real good condition can go for upwards of 200 USD.

Holy Cow! I picked one up a couple years ago at a FLGS swap meet for $15.00 in store credit. It was in really good shape too.

joshinminn

Explorer
I have a pristine copy of the Rules Cyclopedia. I sold my BECM sets and bought it right when it came out, but I still wish I had those box sets as well!

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
Holy Cow! I picked one up a couple years ago at a FLGS swap meet for $15.00 in store credit. It was in really good shape too.

Hah, that's nothing. My wife used to work for Half-Price Books, and about two years ago, she snagged me an OD&D set (with Greyhawk and GDG&H in the box as well) for $10. (I had to pay roughly twice as much for Blackmoor and Eldritch Wizardry apiece to complete the set via ebay.)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases