The Confederate Flag

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
I'll say it here rather than put it in the other thread, because that thread went far away from the original subject. This "War of Northern Aggression" phrase is another thing that I've heard so many people claim that Southerners say, but, in all my 48 years of living in the South, among some deep Southerners, as part of a family that I know had at least one Confederate soldier (my great-grandfather), I've never, ever heard one single Southerner actually say this or claim this about the Civil War. . . .

Bullgrit

The phrase that I was told some Southerners actually used in reference to the US Civil War was "The War Between the States."

Bullgrit

Adventurer
The phrase that I was told some Southerners actually used in reference to the US Civil War was "The War Between the States."
I've heard and read that phrase used a *few* times, (by a mixture of "regionals" -- and by both laymen and scholars). But it is always used in a way to explain that "technically, the American Civil War wasn't a civil war by the definition of 'civil war'."

That is, usually in a civil war, factions are fighting to take/keep control of the country. They say that, technically, that wasn't what was happening in the ACW. I can see the point, but this stance is sort of like saying Americans are actually "United Statesians".

Bullgrit

Janx

Hero
I've heard and read that phrase used a *few* times, (by a mixture of "regionals" -- and by both laymen and scholars). But it is always used in a way to explain that "technically, the American Civil War wasn't a civil war by the definition of 'civil war'."

That is, usually in a civil war, factions are fighting to take/keep control of the country. They say that, technically, that wasn't what was happening in the ACW. I can see the point, but this stance is sort of like saying Americans are actually "United Statesians".

Bullgrit

yeah, that kind of logic is that we are really collection of 50 countries, not one Country called the United States of America.

Given that only the Federal Goverment can sign treaties, I'd say States are just larger versions of Counties. Nice for having fairs. Not for choosing right and wrong.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)

Bullgrit

That's really only a partial definition. Wikipedia covers it much better than just that. The important factor is it's factions within the same country fighting to change the government or the government's policies. The ACW fits that definition just fine. Denying it was a civil war is nit picking.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
A side note: My 10 year old son has expressed a feeling of shame at being a Southerner because the South had slaves and fought a war to keep them. I wonder if any of you can understand how I could feel both glad and sad about this?

Bullgrit

Janx

Hero
A side note: My 10 year old son has expressed a feeling of shame at being a Southerner because the South had slaves and fought a war to keep them. I wonder if any of you can understand how I could feel both glad and sad about this?

Bullgrit

That's a complicated problem to have, and I'm sure you'll do fine in handling it.

In my view, if he recognizes "The South" was a bad thing, then he is not a Southerner. He is somebody who lives in or is from XX where XX your state. There's no shame in being a South Carolinan or an American. It's insisting on being "from The South" that puts a person on the wrong side of history, probably because its choosing sides. We're all Americans (except the folks who aren't, and they're OK too).

And in any event, a 10 year old kid ain't responsible for whatever people did 150 years ago. he's responsible for whatever good or bad he's done in the here and now independent of that.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)

Bullgrit

Being a Southerner wouldn't stop with the civil war or backlash to the civil rights movement. It's an identity that keeps on. The question is: is that identity mired in the sins of the past or one looking to redeem them and make a better Southern identity? For those of us Americans ashamed of our past Indian Wars, for another unconcionable example, we can still be proud for the strides we've taken to be better, to do better. We can still be pissed off when we slip from our ideals (such as our shenanigans as documented by Edward Snowden) but be buoyed by leaders trying to push for better like Sanders or Feingold.

cmad1977

Hero
A flag flown by traitors who started a war against our nation. To hell with that 'heritage' and all it represents. Be proud of being southern, don't be proud of traitorous slavers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads