Trailer for new season of Doctor Who

MechaPilot

Explorer
I find myself enjoing Peter Capaldi's run as the Doctor more than Matt Smith's (not as much as Tennent's, but Tennent had more time to grow into the role as well, so I'm reserving final judgement on that), but I find myself wondering if the next Doctor should be female.

According to what the Doctor has said in the show, regenerations can lead to bizarre appearances. However, we know that's not likely to happen as it will make the Doctor less relatable than a time lord already is when she has a human appearance, and it will add to the costs of producing the show. However, allowing a gender change during one of the regenerations could certainly reinforce the potential variety of change that's possible while also maintaining a relatable human appearance.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
They've made it very clear that Time Lord gender changes are possible. The Master is now female. They couldn't make that statement any more clearly if they tried.

MechaPilot

Explorer
They've made it very clear that Time Lord gender changes are possible. The Master is now female. They couldn't make that statement any more clearly if they tried.

I must have missed that episode. The last I knew, the master died in the same special where they transitioned from Tennent to Smith. I have to confess I never really expected him to stay dead though.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I must have missed that episode. The last I knew, the master died in the same special where they transitioned from Tennent to Smith. I have to confess I never really expected him to stay dead though.

I'm confused. It's the entirety of Capaldi's first season. The one you said you enjoyed more than Matt Smith? That whole role being played by Michelle Gomez?

MechaPilot

Explorer
I'm confused. It's the entirety of Capaldi's first season. The one you said you enjoyed more than Matt Smith?

The episodes I've seen of Capaldi's first season didn't mention the master. Various scheduling conflicts have prevented me from seeing them all; I have seen episodes 2, 3, 4, & 7. From the episodes that I have seen, I enjoy Capaldi's performance much more than Smith's; I believe this is in part due to the abandonment of the veneer of silliness that Smith's Doctor had.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The episodes I've seen of Capaldi's first season didn't mention the master. Various scheduling conflicts have prevented me from seeing them all; I have seen episodes 2, 3, 4, & 7. From the episodes that I have seen, I enjoy Capaldi's performance much more than Smith's; I believe this is in part due to the abandonment of the veneer of silliness that Smith's Doctor had.

Ah, I thought you'd seen the entire series. Apologies for the spoilers! It was the major overall plot arc for 2014.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I'm confused. It's the entirety of Capaldi's first season. The one you said you enjoyed more than Matt Smith? That whole role being played by Michelle Gomez?

to be fair the Mistress Missy thing wasn't entirely clear and was something easily missed if you happened to miss the reveal scene (which I did!).

It was one of the many theories amongst the fan speculation put forward at the time

That said I'm loving Gomez' Missy and I really really want her to be Susans grandmother - eeewwww

Oh and now that the Master has done the gender swap thing, I don't think the Doctor is going to go that way for a very long time - so my guess is no female Doctor on screen in the foreseeable future

Last edited:

Remove ads