Do you remove your shoes in home?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I take my shoes off in my own house, though not always at the door. It's not really a rule, just more comfortable. I also take them off at friends' houses if that's the norm there (which is most of them).

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
We take our shoes off, and I also get that from my wife.

I've also gotten the habit in the winter of taking off my shoes at work and changing into work shoes. That was common when I lived in Montreal, since the snow would just make a mess everywhere if people didn't change their shoes. Oddly, not many people do that here in Winnipeg, despite the fact that there's snow just as long --- the somewhat colder temperatures mean the snow doesn't stick to your shoes and come inside quite as much.

JWO

First Post
I lived in Japan for a year (and I'm actually just about to go back for at least another year!). Over there, there's a really strong 'shoes off' culture, to the extent that many restaurants (especially more traditional Japanese places), karaoke places, some doctors' offices, and many other indoor public places require shoes off and have communal slippers for you to change into. In people's homes there are always little areas when you open the door where you change out of your shoes before entering and change into slippers. They even have different slippers for the bathroom to avoid cross-contamination if you go to the loo.

Now that I'm in the UK, I always take my shoes off in my flat. It's just a nice tradition and keeps outside muck out of the home.

MarkB

Legend
I take my shoes off in my own home. When visiting someone else's, I'll leave them on unless invited to do otherwise - though if I'm going to be there for awhile, I may ask if it's okay to remove them.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases