What's the best bacon? Bacon of the Sea!

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
This would actually make vegetarianism a viable option since Bacon is an essential part of every diet. Algal Bacon would be perfect for our colonisation of the stars

Ryujin

Legend
You can occasionally find it in plastic bags, in its dried form. It looks sort of like purple tobacco leaves when dried. Quite salty taste, as you might imagine. You might be able to find it in your local health food store.

Janx

Hero
does it REALLY taste the same as bacon, or is it one of those deluded vegetarian tastebud things that has that hint of bacon layed with chlorophyl that makes me think my pig was dragged through lawn clippings before served on my plate.

vegetarians have a long history of claiming their plants tastes like meat when to a carnivore, it most certainly does not. Meat tastes like meat. Accept no substitutes.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Well, none of the researchers claimed to be vegetarians, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

And personally, while I would never claim that portobello mushrooms tasted exactly like beef, I'm definitely of the opinion that they DO have a beef-like flavor, and often use them to fortify the "meatiness" of certain recipes.

Heck, I've even used large portobello caps as meat substitutes on sandwiches. Grilled, baked, or pan-fried, they make for a decent burger patty replacement when you can't eat meat for some reason. IMHO, better than most of the commercial veggie-burger oprions, anyway.*

* I am somewhat biased there, though. I have enjoyed several that I've had, but all of them so far have given me allergic reactions.

Remove ads