Hasbro Sells Game Manufacturing Plants; Focuses On "Global Brand Experiences"

It's kinda tangential to RPG news, so I wasn't originally going to cover this. But enough people have emailed me links to it that there's clearly interest in the subject. Hasbro has just sold its game manufacturing plants (one in Massachusetts, USA; and one in Waterford, Ireland) to Cartamundi, a Belgian company. They're not getting out of the publishing of games, just the physical manufacturing side, and this affects CCGs and boardgames rather than RPGs.

It's kinda tangential to RPG news, so I wasn't originally going to cover this. But enough people have emailed me links to it that there's clearly interest in the subject. Hasbro has just sold its game manufacturing plants (one in Massachusetts, USA; and one in Waterford, Ireland) to Cartamundi, a Belgian company. They're not getting out of the publishing of games, just the physical manufacturing side, and this affects CCGs and boardgames rather than RPGs.

The plants produce Magic: The Gathering, Monopoly, and many other Hasbro games.

In a sentence familiar by now to D&D fans, Duncan Billing (executive vice president, chief global operations and business development officer) said “We will continue to focus on global brand building, driven by great storytelling and innovation”. The CEO, Brian Goldner, phrases it as "Hasbro is in the middle of transitioning itself from a toy and game company to an organization delivering global brand experiences." That's a phrase that will echo around the messageboards for a while....

The staff is being retained at both locations.

Porcupine

Explorer
Perhaps they're trying to reorient the rest of the company to be more Wizards-like? Whether or not it makes sense for Hasbro as a whole to get out of the manufacturing biz, it makes total sense for WotC, which really is focused on designing games and developing IP.

Yeah, one can see the logic.
It worked for Apple.

mflayermonk

First Post
Could someone please explain what " global brand experiences" means in the real world? What does one DO with a global brand experience? I play games, I play with and read game books. I honestly have no idea why I would buy, or what the hell I would do, with a global brand experience.

How does one enjoy a global brand experience? This isn't making a lot of sense.

Perhaps it's something like a Dungeons and Dragons T-Shirt available next to your Arizona-brand Carpenter Jeans for the cool price of $8.99.
Are you ready for back to school ExploderWizard?

http://goo.gl/F24yF8

"Soft, durable construction and a bold Dungeons and Dragons graphic print make this easy-match tee a winning choice."

I am now sure the T-Shirt is the new economy.

Perhaps it's something like a Dungeons and Dragons T-Shirt available next to your Arizona-brand Carpenter Jeans for the cool price of $8.99.
Are you ready for back to school ExploderWizard?

http://goo.gl/F24yF8

"Soft, durable construction and a bold Dungeons and Dragons graphic print make this easy-match tee a winning choice."

I am now sure the T-Shirt is the new economy.

I wish they sold those in men's sizes. I want one!

More generally:

"The [commodity] industry follows poverty. Wherever there’s infrastructure for factories and people fresh from rural villages willing to work for the world’s lowest wages, that’s where your [fungible manufactured goods] come from."

Toys and games like Monopoly are not generally considered commodities. But all the pieces - plastic injection-mold bits, printed paper, cardboard, etc - are.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads