Pathfinder 1E [LPF] Perception is Reality

Aura

Explorer
Anna Kallira
As Vincenzo and Maui exchange ideas, Anna merely listens while Larin reads the letter of introduction. Once Maui has finished his pronouncement, she takes the opportunity to speak, "The religious leadership of Tritower, Mr. Hawkins, is split among the three largest religions of the town: Ruvalra, Amenthia and Thalina. When the scream was heard, there was a significant meeting with the town authorities and the three major religions. Larin and I were allowed to attend this meeting, and was decided the major religions would be leading the effort against the undead monsters as well as whatever caused the disturbance. Larin and I were tasked with aiding the evacuating people until the town was cleared of the creatures, at which point we would be relieved. In short, our contribution seen as something as a stopgap so the major religions could field their full force against whatever enemy was causing the problem." The young woman stops and thinks a moment, then adds, "I am not sure exactly what Anton said, but perhaps we was referring to members of the three major religions. To my knowledge, there are no clergy in this camp besides Larin and myself."

[section]
Speaking up from behind the group, Ethane's voice is the first to disagree. "Well, that's not entirely true. At least, not any more. My name is Ethane Beray, and I'm a priest of Ruvalra. I was in Venza at the time of the incident and I am keenly concerned about what has happened here."
[/section]
A look of surprise washes over the priestess' face, although she doesn't seem upset. Instead, she merely jibes, "Well, one of our strong but silent types pipes up. Welcome, Ethane, it is good to have you among us." Switching gears, Anna resettles herself on the bedroll and then continues, "At any rate, I've not received any recent promotions; I've held the title priestess since before I was given the quest to come here, on foot the entire way. Hurt so much. Why do you ask?"

[sblock=Sense Motive]Anna does not appear to be lying. Her eyes, however, do tend to, albeit imperfectly, track on those who speak. If anything, it makes her easier to read.[/sblock]
[sblock=Perception]Anna's eyes seem to be a bit clouded in nature.[/sblock]
[sblock=Ethane Beray]I decided to at least have him getting introductions out of the way so he will not be disfranchised upon js45's return. (I probably should have done so earlier., but did not want to misrepresent his player.[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Barlo Hawkins, Human Bard

Elnefrai_zps89549ca6.jpg

Barlo shook his head, even though the blind woman could not see it. “Tis no matter, Anna. I was just curious in case it had importance in the recent events. I think that is what Anton meant.”

“Anyway, the religious leadership has not come out of Tritower these days past. In order to help fight whatever has caused all of this trouble, we need to know more information about what happened when you all evacuated.”

“We should also know what has happened since. Pretty much we need to know who, what, where, when, and how…. And why if you happen to know that too,”
he smiled wanly at a bit of humor in the direness of the situation.

[sblock=Mini Stats]Character Sheet
Initiative: +4 Perception: +12
AC: 22 (20 flat-footed, 13 Touch)
HP: 65 Current: 65
CMB: +9 CMD: 22(20ff) Fort: +6 Reflex: +10 Will: +8
Current Conditions in Effect: None
Current Weapon in Hand: None

Bardic Performances (lingering 2 rnds): 25/25 Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: [Message, Read Magic, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound]
1st Level 7/7 (DC16) [CLW, Feather Fall, Hideous Laughter, Timely Inspiration, Grease, Vanish, Charm Person, Silent Image]
2nd Level 5/5 (DC17) [Sound Burst, Heroism, Glitterdust, Mirror Image, Invisibility, Calm Emotions, Silence]
3rd Level 4/4 (DC18) [Haste, Slow, Phantom Steed, Confusion][/sblock]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Vincenzo Pipes up, "The more information on what is already know, the better. That way we are not retracing steps unnecessarily."

Aura

Explorer
As Vincenzo moves for full disclosure, Acolyte Larin folds the letter of introduction back up and slips it in a nearby pack. Looking around, he flatly states, "The letter seems to be in order, Priestess. And no children are present, so I would recommend full candor."
[section]
Anna Kallira
"Then, it is time," Anna agrees. Taking a sip from a waterskin, the priestess caps it and begins to describe the situation. "Alright, as I came into town a week ago, things were generally unsettled. There had been a murder... a wild animal attack, it was thought... and a disappearance. The town guards were on edge over the issues. Rumors over the next two days indicated other victims, but it was hard to get a straight story. I was even in contact with the church of Amenthia on other issues, and it came up in casual conversation. At the time, they regarded it as an issue for the town guard. That all changed when the first two undead were destroyed and identified." She pauses, her breathing a bit labored.[/section]
"Ghouls," Larin chimes in. "The Ruvalran priest making the kills identified them as ghouls."

"Yes," Anna continues. "In an case, additional cases of killing and stealing people became known, and it between the fact that it was now regarded as an epidemic, plus the confirmed sighting, elevated it in the minds of the people. We also received word that some people were being dragged off... alive. The mood of the town plummeted, but some kind of unnatural scream from the north side is what really set things in motion. The secular and religious leaders called a meeting to decide upon a course of action. This is where, I mentioned previously, Larin and I received information on how we could fit into the grand scheme. I also recall ideas were floated that this could be the work of some sort of extra-planar entity, but no evidence was offered for the idea, so nobody was really sure on that." Anna pauses again, breathing a bit more heavily than before. Larin puts his hand on her shoulder as she sits on her bedroll. She cranes her head up in his direction, but says nothing.

Larin continues for the priestess, "Shortly after coming out of the meeting, Anna and I were met with a Tritower in chaos. Acting as quickly as we could, we gathered anything we felt would help provide for the people outside the town borders and moved with the unsettled mass. I saw a brief battle, but priestesses of Thalina won handily against a couple more of the monsters. However, the fight caused even more panic, and I fear some were trampled upon the evacuation. It was a nightmare!" Larin shakes as he recounts the events, obviously reliving the moment as he narrates. Meanwhile, Anna does not seem to be picking up more conversation.

After leaning down and listening to a whisper from Anna, Larin continues, "The absolute worst part came as we escaped. Not far behind us, suddenly people stopped moving. They looked around, confused... bewildered. Then a large force of ghouls came up behind them... killing, maiming, capturing, and scattering what was left. However, even those that scattered would not come towards us. We yelled, pleaded, but they ran back into town. And the ghouls, similarly, would not come further out. Realizing whatever caused this disaster held the possibility of being more than the coordinated efforts to the townfolk to combat, I drafted a letter under the direction of Priestess Anna. We split up, I went by Benton to deliver it while Anna traveled with the main group to our present location.

"Some of the more well-to-do townsfolk traveled with me to Benton and stayed there, until the local inn was overflowing with people. Some were talking of biding their time, others moving on to Venza. I didn't pay too much attention to it--I knew my greatest work would be with those who could not afford such comforts. When I got back to camp over a day later, I learned how poorly suited we were for survival. Other than clean water, we had little to nothing in the way of supplies. Garm Stronghand stepped up and began calling the shots for hunting, fishing, and guard patrols. He has every bow we have out hunting, he's been trying to get fishing going, and he has guards between us and the town, carrying melee weapons. Gary Parsons has organized some of the women into a foraging and cooking team, and they prepare anything we catch or gather. Others have done some other things as well."

Larin pauses, reducing his voice. "The last few days have been unbearable. No news from anyone on the inside. A few have tried to head back, only to disappear, sometimes with reports from the patrols of seeming confused much like the day of the exodus. Any more, the patrols do little more than keep any more from trying, nobody pretends they'd last long against a ghoul attack. Garm is thinking of breaking camp and moving us further up river, but it's a new idea and he seems torn about it." Larin stops, seeming unable to go on. He turns away from the group, and there is a uneasy silence.

"You may be excused, Larin," Anna finally speaks up. Larin turns, bows to the group and Priestess Anna respectfully, and silently leaves your presence, disappearing into the crowded camp. After his departure, Anna adds, "You'll have to excuse Larin, this shook him up pretty bad. Anyway, in the time since we settled here, I have been healing the injuries sustained along the way. Several people had a fever from the ghoul's bite and claws. Plus there were a number of other injuries, including from the hysterical panic. It's been a lot of work." The blonde stops, and sips some more water. "I hope that gives you an idea of what you're up against, it's everything I can think of."

[sblock=Maui]You weren't sure what was wrong with Anna before, now you're sure she has Ghoul Fever, the disease spread from their infecting bite. It's a Dex/Con drain, and is generally considered lethal to normal folks. Ethane seems to be scrutinizing her as well.[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer

Elnefrai_zps89549ca6.jpg

Barlo listened to the tale of woe and disaster for the town of Tritower. As it went on he had to wonder if the inhabitants and brave folk that remained behind sacrificed themselves for the sake of the refugees.

"Well, the ghouls in large numbers sound like minions. More disturbing are the magical threats that you have encountered. Mass confusion and bewilderment could be the work of powerful spell casters that merely control the undead to help enforce their nefarious plans."

"I know telling of these events was hard on you and Larin, Anna. For that we thank you."

Turning to his companions he looked to see if they had further questions. But to his mind, the pair did not know anything more about what lie ahead.

Spells Remaining: Cantrips: [Message, Read Magic, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound]
1st Level 7/7 (DC16) [CLW, Feather Fall, Hideous Laughter, Timely Inspiration, Grease, Vanish, Charm Person, Silent Image]
2nd Level 5/5 (DC17) [Sound Burst, Heroism, Glitterdust, Mirror Image, Invisibility, Calm Emotions, Silence]

jbear

First Post
Maui continues to look with deep concern for the priestess as she retells her tale. When she falls silent he takes a step forward protectively, but than holds himself when her acolyte moves in to hear her whispers. When she finishes he immediately speaks. "Te lady have te bad sick. Te fever of te not deads. She take te sick from te many, and now she has te sick. We cannot leave her. She could die. Maui must pray to Tane this night. I will pray for Tane to take te sick from te priestess Anna. Then we can go to te city and put te dead back to sleep. "

[sblock=OOC] Not keen to leave her in this state. I propose we rest long enough for Maui to receive new spells so he can learn Remove Disease and cure Anna. It's probably a good idea to learn a few delay disease spells as well for when we go into the city to face the ghouls & company [/sblock]

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Vincenzo also smiles at the lad, "It is true young sir. We are here to help your town be rid of the menace. W hail from Venza, the city of glass from which we traveled as fast as wee could once we learned of the troubles."

"The not deads, er, undead, being ghouls can be problematic unto themselves. What kind of protections should we be taking? What is the best way to combat them? I have fought zombies, mummies and seen that lich, but ghouls are anther matter."

ooc: fyi, the best skill check is a 10 for know: religion or planes

[sblock=stat block]
AC: 25 (21 flat-footed, 19 touch)
with Combat expertise:
AC: 28 (23 flat-footed, 24 touch)

HP: 112/112

CMB: +13 CMD: 26
vs trip
CMB: +15 CMD: 28
vs disarm
CMB: +18 CMD: 31

Fort: +11 Reflex: +8 Will: +6

Perception: +11 Sense Motive: +3 Stealth +6
Initiative: +2

Current Weapon in Hand: Rapier, +3 Keen

Temporary items in possession: healing potions, Healing wand

Items depleted: none
[/sblock]

[sblock=mace]
mwk silver mace, att +15/+10, dam 1d6+4, crit x2, type b
[/sblock][/][/][/][/][/]

Last edited:

Aura

Explorer
Anna Kallira
Anna seems taken aback by Maui's concern for her, "Oh, I'm just a little down from all the healing I have done; it's the first time I've ever pushed myself like this. The priests of Amenthia think I have a rare empathic healing talent. They also seemed a little disappointed I should have it and not one of them... but I digress. Point is I take injuries, sicknesses, and such from the afflicted and onto myself, and then recover at a rapid rate." She takes a notable breath, then adds, "It's much more important you find out what's going on in town as soon as possible."

[section]
Ethane's casts an closely examining eye upon the Cortesian, obviously considering her closely. "Ghoul Fever is a subtle killer, as it saps the recuperative system of the body. Perhaps restoring Anna would be sufficient, Maui. I can do that right now. Would that do to address your concern?" The Ruvalran priest looks in the direction of Tritower before looking back to Maui.​
[/section]

[sblock=Maui/Barlo Sense Motive]Anna doesn't seem as sure of how ill she might be compared to her words.[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer

Elnefrai_zps89549ca6.jpg

Barlo had not been thinking about ghouls specifically and what he recalled from lore. But with Vincenzo asking about it, he gave it some thought.

He was not comfortable waiting a day for Maui to prepare spells that either Anna herself could cast or Ethane. He nodded and gave the cleric a pat on the shoulder, “Yes, please take care of the priestess, Ethane. We shall not need the fever spreading while we wait another day. Better she recover immediately so we do not have to worry while we get started forthwith.”

About Ghouls (19)

jbear

First Post
Maui is not sure what the exact effects of the 'ghoul fever' was, as he was not really sure what a ghoul was, although he got that it was the name for another kind of not-dead. He suspected it might be something that killed you slowly and then woke you up from death to spread the infection some more but whatever the case he knew it was more dangerous than Anna realised. "Maui not know your god, Shiny One. Maui also not know what dress you talking on or why you want to put te dress on te kin soon" the jungle warrior replied to Ethane, "But if you can help Anna with te bad sick, maybe is it ... sufish... su - what you say."

Maui does not budge an inch until he sees if Ethan's god can help Anna with his own eyes.

Remove ads