statue of baphomet in detroit - discuss civily

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I saw this elsewhere. Am I right in that they're actually atheists, not satanists? I heard a rumour that to get in to the unveiling you had to sign a contract signing your soul over to Satan - something an atheist, obviously, is happy to do because they consider the beneficiary (and, indeed, the currency, I guess) to be nonexistent.

Legatus Legionis

< BWAH HA Ha ha >
Considering how our secular world has attacked all religious symbols, from having the Ten Commandments at a courthouse to one where one can not say "Merry Christmas", nor have a Christmas tree or a Hanukkah on public property, so this having a representation of satan, which is a symbol of evil to most western religions...

IMO, this statue has no place in the general public eye. If it must be displayed, it should be placed in a dark corner of a museum or as part of a private collections.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
All art has a place in the public eye; that's what it's for. Artistic expression should not be suppressed.

Whether or not religious art should be on a governmental building is an entirely separate issue and not really relevant here. This is a private piece in a private location.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
As I am a professed broken christian, I still agree with Morrus. I just wish it in some other country.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Am I right in that they're actually atheists, not satanists?

They call themselves "non-theistic Satanists" - they say they have a religion, but without a creator-god.

To quote them:

"We understand the Satanic figure as a symbol of man’s inherent nature, representative of the eternal rebel, enlightened inquiry and personal freedom rather than a supernatural deity or being. It is our mission to facilitate communication and mobilization of politically aware Satanists, secularists, and advocates for individual liberty. We actively provide outreach and participate in public affairs where the issues might benefit from rational, Satanic insights."

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
They call themselves "non-theistic Satanists" - they say they have a religion, but without a creator-god.
". . . . . participate in public affairs where the issues might benefit from rational, Satanic insights."

dang. I already said for this thread to be civil.

hoisted by mein own petard!

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
I admire these folks, honestly. I have been following them on Facebook for a while and Umbran is somewhat correct. They take Satanic symbology and make a statement with it to protest and point out the absurdity of religiously focused laws. There is an assumption by many Christian lawmakers that theirs is the only religion and so, when the make laws designed to protect religious "freedoms" they don't realize the can of worms they are opening. The Satanic Temple then steps in and demonstrates the loopholes...much to the chagrin of the lawmakers.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Considering how our secular world has attacked all religious symbols, from having the Ten Commandments at a courthouse

Well, that's where this statue comes from - it was originally intended as a protest against having Christian iconography in a government building in Oklahoma - the law tried to sneak around by saying that it would allow any group to petition to have such, and the Satanists, to show that it was still inappropriate, called their bluff. The Ten Commandments statue has since been ruled unconstitutional, so this statue was no longer needed for its original purpose.

Ryujin

Legend
It's hard for me to get all worked up about people who are creating controversy for controversy's sake. As to the statue...... Enh. Another inanimate chunk of plaster, or whatever, that I don't really see as having a lot of artistic merit, made for a purpose rather than as art.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases