D&D 5E Artefacts

Jaracove

First Post
It's recommended that legendary magic items only be given out at 17th level. Fair to say then, that artefacts should only be given at 20th level?

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Up to you. I hand them out when I feel like they are appropriate to the story. Magic items are more of a concern when balancing character versus character. You can modify the environment to challenge characters with artifacts or legendary magic.

Shiroiken

Legend
No, artifacts are found when you want them to be found. They are supposed to be plot points, not toys for the party to adorn themselves with.

My group found a minor artifact at level 4, the Orb of Golden Death from the Temple of Elemental Evil, but haven't used it. They know it's evil, and they know they need it. They're waiting until they absolutely have to use it. They hope to be able to destroy it after they use it.

Another example of low level artifacts is the adventures "The Sentinel" and "The Gauntlet," which are designed for 3-6th level. The Sentinel is a goodly artifact that was created to destroy the Gauntlet, an evil, destructive artifact. The party finds the Sentinel in the first adventure, which then leads them to face the Gauntlet in the second. The Sentinel is sentient, so it pretty much forces the bearer to fulfill its mission, or else it denies its powers. The adventures conclude (hopefully) with both artifacts destroyed.

Prism

Explorer
I would give them out much earlier than 20th. Artifacts can define a character and can often be as much of a detriment as a benefit, considering their own goals. And to be honest, by later levels the players might find the items a little less awe inspiring considering their own considerable power (although I don't think I would ever refuse the Axe of the Dwarvish Lords). Besides, if they want to Artifacts can generally control a character, withhold their powers or disappear at the worst time (or be collected from lost property in one particular case)

I love to use artifacts in D&D and would happily give one to a low level character if the story called for it

Agamon

Adventurer
If this were the case, not only would my players never see a legendary item or artifact, very rare items would be very rare indeed. :)

AriochQ

Adventurer
I gave out a home made artifact, a divination based short sword, to a character in my current campaign at level 3. It is central to the campaign arc. It is only +1 so any balance issues are only related to various divination spells it can cast, which are easily dealt in most cases. I would be hesitant to hand out a combat based artifact at low level, that would be much harder to deal with in terms of balance.

aramis erak

Legend
I put an artefact in the hands of a 2nd level PC. Party couldn't get rid of it quickly enough. It was just a chaotic evil bow with Cha 20 and a +1 to hit and damage, +3 vs Humans and Elves.

Toby Nixon

First Post
I have a Question about Artifacts, my friend and I are having an argument, that creating a minor artifact that would increase a casters Cha to have an 'Unnatural Beauty' 'Overwhelming Charm' that would make it nearly impossible for someone to resist a 'Charm Person Spell' and I mean like a Natural '20' saving throw, minus modifiers. I want it to be unbalanced to create a story worth playing. An irresistible honeypot. Making a whole party charmed enough to give her their money, get them to do things for her, without making her or the Characters, (*Spoiler* I am going to make it break anyway if it so happens to end up with the players...)

I can't find any items or artifacts like it.

What suggestions can I get about this, please.

Remove ads