Titansgrave: The Ashes of Valkania

A

amerigoV

4 out of 5 rating for Titansgrave: The Ashes of Valkania

The key to know is what you are getting. You get about 15 pages of the world (some history, most of which is in the show intro, and 4 city states). There is a bit on gear/character options, then the rest is the adventures. So if you have watched the show, there is a significant crossover of materials. Kinda like the original Dragonlance books and modules - a decent amount of tie between the two. There is material expanded beyond what Season 1 covered, but I do have some concerns that the just announced Season 2 will take up the rest of the story. In other words, if you watch the show there are not going to be any big surprises unless the GM takes up some alternative ideas (their own and in the book). There will be some surprises as there is other material that did not make the cut in Season 1.

The pdf is well done and bookmarked, and very evocative art. My key thoughts are as follows:
  • If you are looking for adventures that are "Thundarr the Barbarian-esque" and your players have not watched the show this is a very nice product. There is enough there take you in some other directions as well. You can get a good amount of playtime out of this. If you are a GM that loves to add to an existing framework you will get a lot out of this.
  • If you are looking for an in-depth campaign setting (ala FR, Eberron, Greyhawk) than this is NOT the product you are looking for. There is not a formal Bestiary - just the critters in the adventure are stat'd out. Between the show and this book you can do a good amount, but the first 25 pages are more of a players guide with a good campaign attached to it.

FYI - I was looking more for the latter, but I tried to rate it on the former (ie, I tried not to punish it for what it is not).

Secondary thought that is AGE related - I do wonder if the game will break down over time. The classic HP/AC/Damage model does not come across well in modern and future settings. Its really glossed over in the show, but you can see that over time a blaster/laser has diminishing effects as HPs rise (ie, a good damage roll kills a "mook" early in the show, but hardly hurts stuff as the group gets a few levels and faces tougher things).

Last edited:

papagheede

First Post
5 out of 5 rating for Titansgrave: The Ashes of Valkania

Thought this was for the show, not the book, but I'll leave it up anyway.

Seeing Weaton's version of the rules, I have to say I enjoyed the use of the Fate die, the 3d6 as opposed to a d20, and the seeded techno-magic world was story inspiring.
Wheaton's filmed rpg is well done, with a fun system, but the cinematic editing intentionally condensed, with added audio effects for easy watching. Yet a lot of gamers like all those in between moments that are more than just story, loke you see in a similar show by Geek n Sundry, Critical Role. Less cinematic, but more enjoyable, as a gamer, to watch. Both shows do share a player though.

Last edited:

RadarMonk

Explorer
5 out of 5 rating for Titansgrave: The Ashes of Valkania

I love the mix of magic and science, along with the beautifully constructed world of Valkana. The system it is designed to run in (fantasy AGE) is wonderful and fairly simplistic. It is a great world for a campaign , and I would recommend anyone to use it. Also check out Wil Wheaton's RPG show The Ashes of Valkana on Geek and Sundry if you want to see the world being played in a game.

Remove ads