Let's cast the D&D movie!

Ryujin

Legend
Drizz't - I am thinking Chris Rock would be awesome. "It's about time they let a Black Elf come to the Surface, don't ya think!?!?"

I can almost hear it now; "'Cause ya can't.. keep.. a black.. Elf.. down." That would be a great way to go if they wanted to "Starsky and Hutch" that mother.

I hated "Starsky and Hutch", the movie.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If they cast Chris Rock, they'll have to rename the character, "Drizz X".

tumblr_mq3xzpw3QL1qa8sljo1_r1_500.jpg

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Okay, assuming that they will involve the works of R.A. Salvatore somehow (and how can they not dip into that cash cow?), let's cast the parts:

Drizzt -
Wulfgar -
Bruenor -
Cattie-Brie -
Regis -

Others?

Rooney Mara for Cattie-Brie.
Oh alright! Rooney's only 5'3" tall, and her hair is dark, not light; but she can act.
(Gee, am I trying to cast against type?)
(Or against budget? Rooney would cost a chunk of change. . . .)

MechaPilot

Explorer
I can't be the only one who wishes they could have chosen a better setting than the Forgotten Realms?

You are not the only one who wishes that.

If they make it of the same quality as the previous two D&D movies... they will kill any attempts to create a franchise.

There's really no reason to expect that it will be any better than the previous D&D films. Admittedly, we don't know much, but what we do know isn't terribly promising (the Clash of the Titans remake sucked so hard I had to watch the old version's claymation clips on YouTube just to wash the taste out of my brain).

And please, if it must be in the Forgotten Realms, call it a Forgotten Realms movie.

That would help them when marketing the film to the general public to distance the new film from the old ones.

CapnZapp

Legend
Why they believe D&D makes for a good film is beyond me.

Especially since they refuse to tap its stories (books).

Making generic fantasy and just slapping a few names on it to make it D&D is incredibly weaksauce

delericho

Legend
Okay, assuming that they will involve the works of R.A. Salvatore somehow (and how can they not dip into that cash cow?)

As Umbran says, it's pretty clear they're not going that route, largely because the script was written before the settlement (and therefore before they were able to use the FR setting/names/plots).

However, for casting an "Icewind Dale" movie, I'd look to "Thor 2: The Dark World", which basically did it:

Drizzt = Algrim (Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje)
Wulfgar = Thor (Chris Hemsworth)
Bruenor = Volstagg (Ray Stevenson)
Cattie-Brie = Sif (Jaimie Alexander)

Though I'm not sure who they'd cast as Regis or Entreri, as they don't have clear analogues in that film.

I'd also be inclined to look to that movie for the depiction of Drow, as that could potentially be problematic if and when the Dark Elf trilogy is tackled.

Last edited:

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Re: Thor 2: The Dark World

That's distributed by Disney. We're talking Warner Brothers for this first film.
(The semi-mysterious "they" who are going to make the upcoming film are not the same "they" that you are using as your example.)

delericho

Legend
Re: Thor 2: The Dark World

That's distributed by Disney. We're talking Warner Brothers for this first film.

Yes, I know. But the casting and character design in that film struck me as being so perfect as to be worth noting. To the extent, indeed, that an Icewind Dale film might suffer whatever they do - either it looks derivative or it's just not as good.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases