Southlands Heroes for 5th Edition

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
5 out of 5 rating for Southlands Heroes for 5th Edition

I like this quite a bit. It provides six new PC races (aasimar, gnoll, lizardfolk, minotaur, tosculi, and werelion) that are well developed. I have some reservations about the werelion; it may be overpowered, like a shifter on steroids. Comparing a Southlands minotaur to a Krynn minotaur, there's enough in common and enough that's different to make it an intriguing variant. Dark Sun's thri-kreen gets a worthy natural rival in the Southlands' tosculi. The gnoll comes in both civilized and savage types. There are several new options for class archetypes: Ambush Predator (Rogue Archetype), Circle of the Hive (Druid: Circle of the Land), Hivemaster (Ranger: Beast Master; this addresses some of the widely perceived shortcomings in Beast Master), and a lycanthropic Sorcerous Origin. Also, the character backgrounds provide seven well-nuanced variations to those in the PHB. Three of them build off the Soldier background (Groom/Squire, Healer, and Quartermaster), and two others spin off from the Acolyte (Child of the Divine and Temple Slave), while the Siwali Traveler expands on a Guild Artisan concept and Desert Runner explores the idea of a regionally specific Outlander. All-in-all, I highly recommend this supplement.

4 out of 5 rating for Southlands Heroes for 5th Edition

My full review of the book can be found here.

As noted in the edits of that review, since publication Kobold Press has removed text from the PDF that was, frankly, plagiarism. And they corrected a few of formatting issues, and revised a couple racial traits. The book is much improved since its release.
Some other problems of the book remain, including Pathfinder-style subclass design for several of the races, and limited flavour text.

There's some good races in this book despite its problems. The gnoll and lizardfolk seem balanced. The lionfolk is probably balanced (I'd need to see it in play to be sure), but is a great template to base other lycanthrope PCs off. And the lycanthropic sorcerer is neat. The value of the product has much improved, and you initially gave it a pass it's worth a second thought.

Last edited:

Remove ads