Dark Days in Sion - Act 2: Scene 2

Ersun

He blinks a few times at Ania and comments on her decision. “You can still always send the message later....” and finishes it with a shrug.

Once they are in front of the portal he curiously looks at it up and down. It makes much clearer to him how Crusher keeps kicking so deeply within the settlement. He fidgets his sword hilt as he wonders what else is going to await him in the near future, but clearly he will not be bored.

He nods in response to her question with a grunt.

narayan

Explorer
Alic, Bax, Kryslogious, Malic, Ordechai, Wrenwil

[Kryslogious: After you don your armor once again, you approach the dwarves with your proposal...]

Alic: Shrugs as he stirs the stew. "Fine by me if you want to share my watch."

Malic: Adds "It would be helpful if you patrolled while we interrogate Ordechai.
Just so long as you understand you must not interfere if Ordechai gives us any trouble."

Alic: Changes the subject. "What do you drink where you're from? We don't know much about this land you mentioned... Chival? Are you as good at brewing ale as you are crafting arms and armor?" He asks with genuine interest.

[Kryslogious: The answer to that would actually be yes... Chivalans are master brewers, a traditional started by the monks of Pentos two thousand years ago. It is also clear to you that Dwarves of Chival are a bit different than those in Akhenaten, but the dwarves you may remember from so very long ago wouldn't be the same as they are now anyway.]

[Kryslogious: What do you do?]

Shun001

Explorer
Kryslogious

[Kryslogious: After you don your armor once again, you approach the dwarves with your proposal...]

Alic: Shrugs as he stirs the stew. "Fine by me if you want to share my watch."

Malic: Adds "It would be helpful if you patrolled while we interrogate Ordechai.
Just so long as you understand you must not interfere if Ordechai gives us any trouble."

Alic: Changes the subject. "What do you drink where you're from? We don't know much about this land you mentioned... Chival? Are you as good at brewing ale as you are crafting arms and armor?" He asks with genuine interest.

[Kryslogious: The answer to that would actually be yes... Chivalans are master brewers, a traditional started by the monks of Pentos two thousand years ago. It is also clear to you that Dwarves of Chival are a bit different than those in Akhenaten, but the dwarves you may remember from so very long ago wouldn't be the same as they are now anyway.]

"Did you know they gave me the nickname 'Melody Knight'?" Kryslogious states taking a seat next to Alic, his armor quietly chinking as he shifted about. "It was because we all used to gather in the monk breweries on our down time and pretty much get tanked while thinking of bar songs to make about our travels."
he chuckles under his helm, taking a moment he continued.

"I happened to be pretty good, I could hold a fine tune back in my day... The mage tried all and well as to cast a quick spell but the knight blade had fell and sent him strait to hell!" he sang waving his finger back and fourth to the tune. [Perform Melody take 10= 15] "But we used to make these songs while enjoying the monks brews. My personal favorite was a pale ale in which had a delicious full grain and citrus taste, but had a mighty sharp after taste because of its strength. We used to say the best way to drink it was all at once so you only had to taste the aftertaste once. That being said we were all drunken messes enjoying Chivals finest brews." He reminisced fondly on his few clear memories.

"We loved our alcohol that's for sure." He stood up after he finished making small talk with Alic stretching his arms and legs a bit before he took a patrol."Come on Alic, lets take a walk around the camp and see if there is trouble to be found, we can talk more along the way." He beckoned with his hand slowly walking off letting Alic gather his things and catch up.

97mg

Explorer
Wrenwil

Having agreed to share his bedroll and half the nights watch, the old cleric savored a moment a peace. His dusk prayers had gone a little longer than usual, now more than ever before he felt the need to thank his god, for protection, for the arrival of the night, and for every obstacle they'd narrowly avoided. He acknowledged the irony in play, that to come closer to Pentos had required him to travel miles, to unsafe lands and world away from home.

He quietly watched as Ordechai got his hogs under control and went about making camp. He listened to the knight, rubbing shoulders with the dwarves, ~smart move my friend.~

With mood now calming and his tired legs at rest, Wrenwil took ink to parchment and scribed his needs for the following day. It was impossible to foretell what might lie ahead, all he could do was guess, stretch the imagination a little. He popped the note into his pocket and rummaged in the pack a little. ~Mmmmm.~ His cloth bound novel, a dirty and witty piece of Chivalran comedy, something which might go down nicely with the ales that Kryslogious was so clearly describing. Once Was a Fine Maiden, or... or... No. His fingers moved to the Tome and it's sheets of tin. ~Not tonight my maiden, tonight it shall be a true story.~ He was curious about this "translation," and flipped a page to set about his work.

[Wrenwil will memerise spells for the next day if acceptable, and then commence an attempt at translating the first few pages.]

narayan

Explorer
Ania, Ersun

As you both step through the portal you feel a change in the ambient air as if you were emerging from a tomb. Immediately you realize you are no longer underground (relatively speaking) and find yourselves inside a tent before a large metal frame that makes up the portable side of this portal. From the sounds and smells around you, you'd guess this tent is somewhere in the common marketplace where most of the tribes trading gets done.

A pair of lamps hang from the tent poles illuminating stacks of blackmarket goods and a table where four rough looking thugs are playing a game of bones. [Make a Knowledge: Local, DC 13 check to know the origins and rules of the game of bones] Two of those thugs are pure blooded Underfolk, another one is a half duergar and the third is a half Orog. The half-duergar is apparently the leader as he boasts the loudest and makes the most insulting remarks of the others. He has a thick black beard smeared with grease and teeth pockmarked with cavities.

They share a small keg of some foul drink with a platter of greasy ribs on the table. Each one is well armed and armored, and are quick to notice you emerge from the portal. The half-duergar stands from his seat and spits out a piece of fat he was chewing on in your general direction.

Half Duergar: -speaking undercommon- "So the warmage bitch returns! I'll never understand why Crusher agrees to deal with you!" He comments rudely.

Ania: Is in a rather black mood herself. "Probably for the same reason he doesn't send for you Worgo, I simply serve him better..."

The other thugs start to chortle loudly until Worgo slams his hand upon the table. Worgo stands a few inches taller than 5 feet, with a very imposing build, though not so freakishly large as Crusher himself. He grabs a heavy glaive leaning against the table
and steps towards you with drunken and angry steps.

Worgo: "I won't be insulted by the likes of you!" He threatens.

[Ersun: What do you do? Any attempts to attack Worgo or cast a spell (without use of Sleight of Hand) will require an initiative check.]

Last edited:

narayan

Explorer
Billanverthorne

Hiring yourself out as a caravan guard was a sensible way for an elven warrior like yourself to travel through Vulkh, so long as you choose the right merchant. Wrecked wagons and old bones on the roadsides of Vulkh are needful reminders of how dangerous the merchant trade can be. Thus you decided to travel with a larger mercantile organization, the Masoud Trading Company. This choice was also practical for another reason since you were looking to meet the little-known owner of their company, a half elf by the name of Jarahdrin.

The merchant who agreed to hire you is named Khaled. You met him in the town of Mailal in the Elven Kingdom of Siellon. Khaled is a fine-tempered, well-mannered akhenaten man, well experienced in his work. Trade with elves has always been desirable to the merchants of Vulkh, but not all are invited and welcomed into their lands. Khaled is one of the lucky ones who acquired permission after years of effort establishing trust and goodwill. After you explained to him that you were looking to deliver news about your fathers death to Jarahdrin, a close friend of his, he was sympathetic and agreeable to your offer.

He even offered to have you travel back with him as a guest, no strings attached, but being a soldier you naturally insisted to help defend yourselves as a guard. However, even with his experience and knowledge your journey through Vulkh was not without its troubles. During your passage through the Summaran hills you were attacked by a Gnoll warparty that cost the life of two guards and one of the pack horses. After burying them you moved on through several trade stops. On the way Khaled spoke with you about any number of things you had questions about, including your destination as you draw near it just now after nightfall... the town of Cabarda that Jarahdrin dwells in.

Hundreds of torches burn along Cabarda's twelve foot outer wall surrounding strings of glowing lamps along its streets, giving bright definition to the bulk and shape of the town from a great distance in the dark. It is a much larger town than you are used to back home, with a population close to six thousand. The main trade road passes through its center with two large gates at the east and west ends. Kahaled explained that Cabarda is a fairly rich stopover on the trade route west of Masaeus, even more significant than its size and population would otherwise indicate because the headquarters of the Masoud Trade Company is also located here. A town of this importance requires greater fortifications and additional guards than other towns you visited.

Khaled also discussed some of the laws of the town, such as how no caravan, not even one operated by the Masoud Trading Company, is allowed to pass through the gates after dark. As a result it is not uncommon for camps of travelers to form outside outside the gates if they do not reach them before sundown. Indeed you find yourself approaching such a camp before the western gates. There are at least a dozen tents, wagons and campfires here. Voices and laughter can be heard as are the snores and complaints of those attempting to slumber.

Khaled: Speaks to you after his trio of wagons slows to a halt beside the camp upon the gravely soil. "A word of caution Bill, camps like these are not as safe as you might think. Thieves hereabouts often profit from presumptions of safety so close to the walls. I intend to sleep with one eye open!"

[Billanverthrone: What do you do?]

narayan

Explorer
Alic, Bax, Kryslogious, Malic, Ordechai, Wrenwil

Alic: Laughs and shakes his head at Kryslogious. "Whats the matter with you? Didn't you already spend a whole cursed day walking? You might think I had an easier time of it riding a pony, but the blisters and bruises on my backside would tell you different! So beg your pardon, but I'll be fine where I am stirring the stew and salivating over a hot meal!" Grunts "Anyway... if you'd like some Ale I did happen to buy a small keg off a trader this morning before we boarded that thrice-damned riverboat. I can't promise it'll be good, but even human ale is better than none sometimes... no offense to these monks you speak of, but tasting is believing and Chival is a long way off."

Meanwhile Ordechai Seems to take a fancy to the magic stones Malic is using and somberly steps closer to examine them.

Ordechai:
"Tell me Malic, how is it I have not seen such stones before? Surely a merchant could make a fortune selling them!"

Malic: Shrugs
"They might, but they'd have to negotiate with the priests of Tharmekhûl to get their hands on them first. Would you know of whom I speak as a half dwarf Ordechai?"

Ordechai: (Knowledge: Religion check, DC 13: = 13, Success) "I've heard dwarves speak of him as Moradins assistant, the tender of the forge, god of the furnace and the flame."

Malic: Nods "The firestones are their secret means to light a forge when fuel grows scarce. The runework and enchantment involved isn't easy and difficult to put a price on. In truth you could probably buy a years supply of firewood for the cost of creating these stones, but they're nice to have out in the open as a substitute for your usual cook fire because I can extinguish these flames just as quickly as I create them with another command word at the first sign of trouble."

Ordechai:
"I notice you bear a holy symbol for Moradin around your neck, is that why they let you take the stones?"

Malic: Frowns and unconsciously grabs ahold of the holy symbol as though fearing it might vanish when attention is drawn to it.
"I wouldn't say I'm borrowing them... they were a token of thanks. As a cleric of Moradin I managed to recover a precious relic stolen from one of our holy forges many years ago."

Ordechai:
"You're a cleric?"

Malic: Looks at Ordechai suddenly embittered.
"Not anymore, and that is all I will say about that."

Last edited:

Shun001

Explorer
Kryslogious

Kryslogious stops walking away from Alic to listen to his reply, invoking some memories of Chival.

"What is the mattereth with thou? didn't thou already spendeth a whole curs'd day walking?" Gregith the Taller complained to Kryslogious.

It was a dark day, the rain poured in droves across the open hillside of Chival as a small tired detachment of about 30 Chivalan soldiers marched through the entrenching mud. You could see fatigue and starvation mixed with despair across each uncovered face. Kryslogious halts his march turning to a shorter man standing 5'5" with a broad build and even broader beard. he stood wearing half plate and a T visored helm which had a hawk head pattern leading to his earthen feather covered cloak which covered his shoulders down to his feet. He was a half dwarf carrying a flail on his hip and a spear on his back.

"Tis dead Greigith! Vespasian is dead and the damn cultists marcheth to endeth our life!" Kryslogious angrily grabs Greigith's cloak bringing him close as Kryslogious continued to break down. "He was mine cater-cousin, he was mine savi'r, mine saint! in his dunnest hour he casteth me aroint so the oth'rs wouldst not suffereth his fate. 'tis the lasteth serviceth I can rend to mine lord and I intendeth to keepeth that gage."

Greigith with an outstretched arm pushed Kryslogious' head against his and replied calmly. "Tis must tear thee to pieces knowing thee could not stayeth to protect him. Thee two wend back many seasons together, and I wilt not sayeth I understandeth thy pain, but bethink of thy men. those gents can only wend so far broken of faith and devoid of hope. alloweth us rest ere we continueth, at least til this storm passeth."

Kryslogious calmed himself as he felt the peering of his men upon them. "Hark, the forest is neigh. Alloweth us proceed so we can setteth up our camp on sturdy land. we shalt continueth upon the mor'n."

Kryslogious comes back to the present turning to Alic. "Aye, bad ale is better than no ale... you know Alic you just reminded me of Greigith the Taller."

He uncorked the keg and proceeded to place the contents into a free bowl. It was hard to tell the hue or type of brew in the dim fire but upon drinking one thing was for certain.

"Ghastly, you sure this was not the bucket he held between his mule's legs!?" The warm alcohol fettered with a putrid tone from poor sanitation, rogue yeast had spoiled whatever hope it had in its body and turned it sour and bitter. Kryslogious laughs and offers the keg to Alic "comeon your turn!"

All the while Kryslogious listens to Malic and Ordechai between his conversation picking up what he can.

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Billanverthorne

Billanverthorne: Nodding to Khaled: "Good idea. I don't plan to sleep at all; plenty of time for sleep once we're inside the gates." Bill points to his eyes, "These things serve me very well in the dark. Tonight they will serve you and your caravan as well. I'd advise you to double the watch around the tents and wagons. I'm going to scout the perimeter of this whole area. That will only take me a few minutes, I don't intend to waste time. One quick sweep is all I need."

[Bill unslings his bow, along with a single arrow, which he nocks gently, no pressure on the bowstring. He will walk the outer parameter of the entire gathering, facing outward into the darkness, avoiding looking toward the campfires; this is so that the other guards will recognize him as a guard, since he is making no attempt to hide, walking slowly, and facing out, away from the camp, i.e., acting like a guard. If he passes within gentle speaking distance of any other guards of other caravans, he will identify himself, and tell them to be extra cautious, saying he has a bad feeling about tonight. He does NOT stop to talk further. After taking note of possible points of attack, and best positions to defend from, especially noting where the high ground and low ground of the surrounding terrain are, he returns to the caravan. Once back in Khaled's camp, Bill will try to remain inconspicuous, scanning the darkness intently, while attempting to act like a human, i.e., acting as if he can't see very far into the darkness, like all the other guards. He doesn't want to let on to a would-be ambusher that he can see them coming.]

Last edited:

Ersun

"For the love of…" he mumbles under his nose. He carefully begins to weave a spell hidden from their attention to disable him.
(Casting Colour Spray at the Half-Duergar)

[Knowledge: Local, 23, DC 13]
[Sleight of Hand: Colour Spray, 21]
[Initiative, just in case: 20]

Last edited:

Remove ads