D&D 5E [IC] Creamsteak's Princes of Elemental Evil

Forged Fury

First Post
"An interesting find indeed," Damien replied, for the first time in his life wishing he spoke that gutter tongue that dwarves used. "Perhaps when we return we can help you out with that project. I'm sure knowing what's in the book will help you appraise it better."

OOC: Yeah, other than wishing I had thieve's tools, I'm ready to get the show going. If only I hadn't waited to take Comprehend Languages...

Creamsteak

Explorer
OOC: Rolled random encounters and then survival checks. Aridha succeeded at the survival check to find the site Shallow Graves.

On a barren hilltop a few miles from Red Larch, you find four freshly dug shallow graves. The earth scraped out for the holes is piled nearby, although hastily gathered stones cover the graves. The faint smell of death hangs in the air, and several vultures circle overhead.

Surrounding the area is a confused collection of tracks, a few broken arrows, a discarded javelin, and a tattered gray cloak.

You have a good view of the surrounding hills from this vantage point. Several miles to the west you can make out the tiny outline of Red Larch, and the thin dark line marking the Long Road. Perhaps two miles to the north, you see a slender old tower circled by large birds. Nothing else is around here.

Forged Fury

First Post
Damien looked around the desolate hilltop. The tower in the distance intrigued him, it looked like a potentially exceptional future headquarters from which to launch his evil schemes, albeit possibly too close to Red Larch for his own good. Perhaps he would install an underboss there instead, to deal with pesky do-gooders.

Approaching one of the cairns, Damien called forth his pact weapon, knelt down, and started to pull away the rocks with his free hand. "We should probably find out who's buried here, to better understand the story of this place." He didn't altogether care, but one of the corpses might have a set of thieve's tools.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Thaliss raises an eyebrow in surprise as the warlock summons his pact weapon. My,my, aren't we full of surprises he thinks to himself.

Thaliss proceeds to inspect the area, hoping to find any relevant clues.

OCC: [roll0]

Creamsteak

Explorer
Excavation of the graves takes a bit of time, but when all is said and done you find the following.

One male dwarf dressed in artisan robes.

One female human warrior dressed in a red surcoat with a black axe.

One male human dressed in a black cloak with strange stony armor (plate).

One male human in a white robe with black feathers at the shoulders.

All died from arrow wounds or crushing blows.

Thaliss raises an eyebrow in surprise as the warlock summons his pact weapon. My,my, aren't we full of surprises he thinks to himself.

Thaliss proceeds to inspect the area, hoping to find any relevant clues.

You identify the tower to your north as "Feathergale Spire" which you have heard rumors that it is a place knights out of Waterdeep sometimes come to hunt riding flying monsters. They usually keep to themselves and don't show up in Red Larch.

- - - - -

Tolan: You recognize the red surcoat and black axe as symbols of Mirabar.

Forged Fury

First Post
"Interesting..." Damien said. "What an eclectic group... maybe they have further identification on their persons." The warlock proceeded to rifle through their pockets and pouches, also checking their footwear. Beyond that, he did nothing to disturb the bodies, figuring it might be frowned upon.

OOC: Not sure if this would be Perception or Investigation, so here's a straight D20 roll:
[roll0]

Creamsteak

Explorer
"Interesting..." Damien said. "What an eclectic group... maybe they have further identification on their persons." The warlock proceeded to rifle through their pockets and pouches, also checking their footwear. Beyond that, he did nothing to disturb the bodies, figuring it might be frowned upon.

OOC: Not sure if this would be Perception or Investigation, so here's a straight D20 roll:
[roll0]

The dwarf was still adorned with a signet ring marking him as a smith out of Mirabar.

Forged Fury

First Post
More disguises can't hurt... Damien thought. While the others were otherwise engaged, the warlock slipped the signet ring off the dwarf's finger and into his pouch.

OOC: If necessary:
[roll0]

hafrogman

Adventurer
Tolan stands watch and lends a hand as needed as the graves are excavated. It ill suits him to disturb the dead, but these mounds are clearly recent, and seem more akin to hiding places for bodies than proper graves. He points at the red surcoat.

"This one, at least, if definitely from Mirabar. But I see nothing that could qualify as the missing 'mote' and four seems a small number for a caravan. I think we must assume that this is not all who are missing. Moreover, this is an unlikely place for the caravan to be passing through. They were probably brought here from elsewhere."

He turns north and faces the tower.

"I believe the tower's inhabitants fly these hills, they may have seen something. But I have also seen postings for recovery of 'lost' family members who have joined their numbers and cut all ties. They are more than just hunters."

He starts making a circuit of the area, looking for any signs of a struggle, or tracks implying a direction from which these four came, or where dragged.

[roll0]

Creamsteak

Explorer
Tolan stands watch and lends a hand as needed as the graves are excavated. It ill suits him to disturb the dead, but these mounds are clearly recent, and seem more akin to hiding places for bodies than proper graves. He points at the red surcoat.

"This one, at least, if definitely from Mirabar. But I see nothing that could qualify as the missing 'mote' and four seems a small number for a caravan. I think we must assume that this is not all who are missing. Moreover, this is an unlikely place for the caravan to be passing through. They were probably brought here from elsewhere."

He turns north and faces the tower.

"I believe the tower's inhabitants fly these hills, they may have seen something. But I have also seen postings for recovery of 'lost' family members who have joined their numbers and cut all ties. They are more than just hunters."

He starts making a circuit of the area, looking for any signs of a struggle, or tracks implying a direction from which these four came, or where dragged.

[roll0]

The tracks are a mess. This place was the site of a battle. It's hard to tell who was coming and who was going. The best you can determine, the tracks go off to both the east and the west, but it's impossible for you to find the trail.

Further, it seems that the druid has no more luck (rolled for Shayuri here).

Remove ads