Christian Persecution vs Persecuted Christians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Right now, it seems as if some of my brothers & sisters in Christ can't tell the difference.

http://www.sheknows.com/parenting/a...punishes-kid-because-of-his-religious-beliefs

http://www.mintpressnews.com/tx-pub...ge-washington-to-promote-christianity/208376/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/17/air-force-academy-religion-proselytism_n_1678092.html

Yeah, we are called to spread the faith, but we should be doing it with respect, honesty and within the boundaries set forth in the laws of our homeland. Stuff like this just makes us look like dishonest bullies, and that is no way to spread the message.

WWJD? I think he'd be kicking a bunch of us out of the temple grounds right now...

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
"By taking away my ability to take away your rights, you are oppressing me."

This sort of sound like some Christians when it comes to homosexuals or just those who oppose civil rights to some minority for reasons for that matter.

The thing is, in the US at least, Christian's rights have been growing not shrinking. The Hobby Lobby ruling is a good example of such rights growing and in the most terrible fashion. I bet the Hobby Lobby ruling could be used by this university who says Jesus didn't like unions. http://gawker.com/christian-university-claims-unions-are-against-its-reli-1722210305

MechaPilot

Explorer
Yeah, the Hobby Lobby ruling sucks. It's not the only one though. Citizens United sucks as well. And there's a 6th circuit appeals court holding that gives undue deference to administrative pronouncements.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I was reading another article today which included a sentiment to the effect that the "illusion of Christian supremacy" in American culture was ending. He wasn't speaking in favor of various decisions enforcing the separation of religion and government, but rather lamenting that American culture was becoming less Christian.

Ironic, considering more than 75% of Americans self-identify as Christian, most of the justices of the SCOTUS, most of our presidents, and the vast majority of our legislators have been Christian as well.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Any Christian in the US who thinks they are, "persecuted," has lost perspective on what that really means.

"I don't get everything I want," is not persecution.

I was reading another article today which included a sentiment to the effect that the "illusion of Christian supremacy" in American culture was ending. He wasn't speaking in favor of various decisions enforcing the separation of religion and government, but rather lamenting that American culture was becoming less Christian.

Ironic, considering more than 75% of Americans self-identify as Christian, most of the justices of the SCOTUS, most of our presidents, and the vast majority of our legislators have been Christian as well.

Well Church attendance is down generally speaking.

I do have to say that in part due to the internet "attacks" on Christians are more noticed by attacks i mean attacks on what they* believe and how they go about sharing those beliefs. And as a by product there are in some cases more attacks in of themselves.

*they in a general sense

Any Christian in the US who thinks they are, "persecuted," has lost perspective on what that really means.

"I don't get everything I want," is not persecution.

As a member of The Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, I would say that for us (LDS) the persecution has become mockery instead. I would go as far as to say that's the word I think that should be used instead of persecution.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
It's rather comical when the group in power complains about "oppression" because they're losing their privileged position and becoming just regular citizens. I wonder if that's how white South Africans felt as Apartheid was coming to an end?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

The speaker may have been referring to a recent PEW survey - over the course of seven years (2007 to 20014) the percentage of folks identifying as Christian dropped by about 7.8% (from 78.4% to 70.6%). "Unaffiliated" rose by 6.7%.

http://www.pewforum.org/2015/05/12/americas-changing-religious-landscape/

At that rate of loss, they cease holding a clear majority inside of one generation. That'd be a massive shift, and massive shifts are scary.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Last edited:

was

Adventurer
With such a large number of Christian factions and independent churches, it seems ignorant to me when people, conservative or liberal, stereotype something as being a 'typical Christian' action or response.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads