DRAGON+ #3

Michael Long

First Post
4 out of 5 rating for DRAGON+ #3

Its a quick read, and I liked it.

Lots of good articles, and a free adventure link to an AL 1st/2nd level adventure. Nice!

Last edited:

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
3 out of 5 rating for DRAGON+ #3

The first couple of issues of Dragon+ seemed like something of a waste of effort -- at least half of the 'content' was advertising that, if someone was knowledgeable enough to know how to get Dragon+, would likely already be well-known information, while a good portion of the rest was simply reprints or lightly-edited restatements of information already published elsewhere.

With issue 3, Dragon+ starts to find its feet.The introduction to the new storyline season, Rage of Demons, is long, detailed, and contains information we haven't seen before. There's a page that links directly to curated podcasts and videos related to D&D, taking advantage of the mobile format in a novel if not wholly original way. There's a similar info-studded preview of the Sword Coast Adventurers Guide, coming out in November. The results of the community poll asking for Underdark-themed alternate spell components is here. Probably the best addition is in the Adventurers League section, where the introductory Harried in Hillsfar module, with five one-hour mini-adventures designed for level 1-2 characters, is available to view (though the limitations of the app make it viewable only, not actually downloadable).

There's other stuff here that doesn't excite me all that much: an interview with R.A. Salvatore and the sleepwalking-through-fantasy tropes 'Gauntlet Gophers' comic foremost, though I'm sure some folks out there would love both bits of content. Also, the app is still glitchy, with occasional freezes while scrolling through articles and inexplicable bounces back to the title page. But the folks in charge of this new incarnation of Dragon have at least found a path to improvement -- if they can keep walking it, while flogging their app partner to clean up the glitches in their code, then Dragon+ has the chance to become truly outstanding one day.

latron

First Post
4 out of 5 rating for DRAGON+ #3

Definitely an improvement over the previous issues. These e-zines provide a good collection of extras and pointers for the current D&D 'season'. Still lacking in amount of useful content for the table and a bit clumsy (for me) to read-through but a nice way to scratch the D&D itch. An extra star given for being free, but then, it feels like a long ad too.

MartyW

Explorer
2 out of 5 rating for DRAGON+ #3

So... I did a more complete review on my blog (linked from this review), but I'll try to summarize the main points.

The app is really unstable. Even worse than with issue 1 and 2. I don't know how this thing is getting 5-star ratings in the App Store, because it crashes even more frequently than before. The content did improve over issues 1 and 2, but those issues set such an incredibly low bar, that almost anything would have been an improvement.

To pull the most relevant quote from my review:
I'm not sure if I've already lowered my mental bar, or if it actually is improving, but I think it sucks a lot less. Does it actually not-suck enough to be good? I'm not actually certain it is good, but I didn't want to scratch my eyeballs out like I did after the first two issues, so that's a definite improvement.

A "C" for content, but a loss of a letter grade for app stability. D+

http://ragingowlbear.blogspot.com/2015/09/dragon-issue-3-is-it-actually-better.html

Last edited:

akr71

Hero

I found installing the app to be clunky and navigation within the issue was not overly intuitive. I would also much rather read on a computer monitor than my phone.I did enjoy the content that I did read though. The interface kept me from rating it higher - maybe next issue.

Krypter

Explorer

It's fine for what it is: advertisements for WOTC and related company products. It doesn't compare to the old Dragon or Dungeon magazines at all.

It is obnoxious as an app when it decides that the issue content it downloaded last night isn't really downloaded, and starts downloading it all over again. Over a bandwidth-limited paid cell connection. Argh.

Gnashtooth

First Post
1 out of 5 rating for DRAGON+ #3

This worthless app is all self-shilling marketing trash, providing no real value to anyone interested in the product.

darjr

I crit!
1 out of 5 rating for DRAGON+ #3

I think it's a failed experiment and they should just drop it. Especially since most of it is an add for a bad video game.

Remove ads