A Good Solo DnD-ish Boardgame

What the title says. I'm looking for a DnD-ish Boardgame that is fun to play solo. I play online 5E, family at home 5E and a fair few boardgames. But some evenings I decide not to shoot people online and fancy a bit of gaming. So I wondered if there are any BG out there, which are DnD-ish and fun solo. I have the first Pathfinder Card Game box & Expansions, but have not even looked at it - moving house meant my partners for this are now a few hundred KM's away!

But if that is no good, any other recommendations?

mangrar

First Post
There is a good series of DnD board games, and you can mix all of them to play a huge adventure. You can play solo or with friends:

Wrath of Ashardalon
Legend of Drizzt
Castle of Ravenloft

They all have exactly the same rules, you can play one and use the others as expansions. The minis are very good, and you can use them in a D&D roleplaying game. They are basically Dungeon Crawls.

Recently, a new one has been released, Temple of Elemental Evil, just at the same time Princess of the Apocalypse campaign was released.

You can find all these games in Amazon or any gaming shop.

MoutonRustique

Explorer
I don't know about others but I can say that : Castle Ravenloft and Wrath of Ashardalon are very fun games that have a fair amount of "online support" in the sense that there are many rules variations offered - many of which make the game very different while keeping the same base mechanics.

If you like to win when you play board games (these are co-op: all players win or the "board" wins) I suggest you try Wrath of Ashardalon or Legend of Drizz't (or Temple of Elemental Evil mentioned upthread) as Castle Ravenloft is a difficult game (win ratios often hover around 50%).

Most games can be resolved w/ an hour or two based on complexity and number of players. Personal experience: our games usually take ~45 minutes (when we are 2 players playing 2 characters each) - this includes setup but not clean up (if it takes you more than 5 minutes to put away this game, you are really taking your time.)

Bluenose

Adventurer
If you can find a copy then Dungeon Run is pretty good solo, more than most dungeon crawlers. Epic Adventure Dungeon Crawl (yes that is the name) is intended for solo play, and is a decent game. Tomb plays well solo but I'm not sure it's quite the DnD style game you're asking about. Mage Knight is good for solo play. Shadows of Brimstone is an interesting one, it's set in the Fantasy Old West and is normally a co-op game with rules for playing solo.

Thanks guys. I own Wrath of Ashardalon, tho it is in storage, and am looking for a cheap way to get ToEE ~ shipping is a killer here in NZ. I've also seen some suggestions for playing the Pathfinder Card game Solo, so I may give that a crack.5

Edo DV

First Post
I'd also add Mage Knight to the mix: not really D&D rule-wise but has a lot of its flavor. Great game though, both for single and multi player.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Yeah, Mage Knight is a lot of fun. And all the D&D Adventure System games (Temple of Elemental Evil, etc.) work well solo. Just control a couple of PCs for the non-solo quests and you should be fine.

I'm not a fan of the Pathfinder game solo - just a few too many impossible monsters/barriers and you've lost a lot of your life.

Otherwise, I'd look at a few other of the co-operative fantasy games and see if any interest you.

Cheers!

Remove ads