Dark Days in Sion pbp ALL THINGS OOC

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
I love epic stuff.

Burrai sounds like another character of mine, in another game, named Osthelerin. He is Fighter 7 / Wizard 1 and trying to get the reqs for Spellsword. I have his advancement planned out like so:

Planned Adv 001.jpg

I know planning to 30th level is a bit pre-mature, but I like the idea of knowing what my long term goals are, because it helps shape what the character thinks and does NOW, i.e., developments in personality that will eventually LEAD TO that epic level legendary being.

Here is how I have Bill's advancement planned:

Bad Bill Plan 001.jpg

Bad Bill Plan 002.jpg

Whatcha think?

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
I tend to try and do the same, plan out a character from the start of a campaign. I have also found that it doesn't always work, and have gone a different route. I have a general concept of where the character is headed, but I let the flow of the game as well as the content mold my characters now. It usually helps in having these interactions mold the character, instead of the rigid form of sticking to feats, skills, etc at each level. Sometimes it just helps to let the game decide for you.

An option to consider is the rework option that I think is in the DMG 2 guide. It allows retraining a character with some downtime so that they change out the specifics while keeping the general character the same. It allows a player to try out a combo of feats, skills, etc, but then long term, if it didn't work quite well, or if you wonder why the he'll you took that feat, you can rework the character to relearn it.

Just a thought.. but worth considering

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
I tend to try and do the same, plan out a character from the start of a campaign. I have also found that it doesn't always work, and have gone a different route. Just a thought.. but worth considering

Yeah, these plans are just outlines, they're not written in stone. But I'd rather have a sketchy plan, that is subject to modification, than no sense of direction at all :)

So basically, we are in agreement :)

narayan

Explorer
Burrai Advancement

I agree it would be a shame not to put Burrai's above-average intelligence to good use somehow. I think Burrai's biggest flaw at this point is his lack of many useful class skills. That's fine if you enjoy roleplaying that weakness out as simple single-mindedness, but if not, I would consider branching out into other classes that offer more class skills and skill points than Fighter does.

Ranger would be my choice since it still grants a good BAB and some useful combat abilities. (Favored Enemy for example being very good) I think Burrai's hermetic life in the hills for so many years could easily explain a level in Ranger. There are variants of ranger in the Unearthed Arcana that allow for even greater specialization (such as Urban Ranger).

As for casting, Divine Spellcasting seems more like Burrai's style to me. There are a few gods I think would suite him well (since we really haven't done much with your current deity it seems possible to me that we could change that). Taking levels in Cleric would still allow you to wear armor without penalty, and depending on your domains and granted powers you could still get some decent class skills out of levels in cleric.

If however you would rather branch out into an arcane spellcasting class, I would actually suggest Beguiler from the PHBII because Burrai's alignment is particularly suitable and they have excellent class skills. Either that or Warmage from Complete Arcane, but they have less useful class skills than Beguilers do.

As for prestige classes, Dwarven Defender seems like the obvious choice at level 7, but you have to gain 3 more feats to take that. An alternative for that at level 7 is the Warlord prestige class (From Kingdoms of Kalamar Players Guide). That class has a very useful skill list that would benefit him a great deal. It also grants bonus feats, magical fear immunity, and resistance to mind-affecting spells for you and your followers. The only other requirements for that is the leadership feat (that you qualify for at level 6) and acquiring 100 followers.

Last edited:

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Interesting. Just note that Svexyn was looking at taking the Leadership feat at level 6 as well. Part of his Dragon Shaman build is to train others and have them follow him for a few years. I haven't given prestige classes much though, but if I did, it would likely be Dragon Disciple, for the flavor.

Hillsy7

First Post
I agree it would be a shame not to put Burrai's above-average intelligence to good use somehow. I think Burrai's biggest flaw at this point is his lack of many useful class skills. That's fine if you enjoy roleplaying that weakness out as simple single-mindedness, but if not, I would consider branching out into other classes that offer more class skills and skill points than Fighter does.

Ranger would be my choice since it still grants a good BAB and some useful combat abilities. (Favored Enemy for example being very good) I think Burrai's hermetic life in the hills for so many years could easily explain a level in Ranger. There are variants of ranger in the Unearthed Arcana that allow for even greater specialization (such as Urban Ranger).

As for casting, Divine Spellcasting seems more like Burrai's style to me. There are a few gods I think would suite him well (since we really haven't done much with your current deity it seems possible to me that we could change that). Taking levels in Cleric would still allow you to wear armor without penalty, and depending on your domains and granted powers you could still get some decent class skills out of levels in cleric.

If however you would rather branch out into an arcane spellcasting class, I would actually suggest Beguiler from the PHBII because Burrai's alignment is particularly suitable and they have excellent class skills. Either that or Warmage from Complete Arcane, but they have less useful class skills than Beguilers do.

As for prestige classes, Dwarven Defender seems like the obvious choice at level 7, but you have to gain 3 more feats to take that. An alternative for that at level 7 is the Warlord prestige class (From Kingdoms of Kalamar Players Guide). That class has a very useful skill list that would benefit him a great deal. It also grants bonus feats, magical fear immunity, and resistance to mind-affecting spells for you and your followers. The only other requirements for that is the leadership feat (that you qualify for at level 6) and acquiring 100 followers.

Hmmm....well I've been trying to read up and nothing is overly jumping out at the moment - so for expediency I'll take Fighter again.

Firstly - do you have a link for details of the Warlord prestige class? I can find the Warlord base class info but don't think that's what you mean. Is it the Chosen Warlord?

Also - any thoughts on warblade?

narayan

Explorer
Dark Days in Sion is on break

So just as an FYI everyone, I haven't been in the mind to do much posting lately. I'm having dramas with my roommate along with trying to find a new job and study up to get an additional credential for my smog technicians license. I don't want to put the game on Hiatus indefinitely, so I propose we take the month off so I can work out some things.

I appreciate all your hard work and effort. I'll make updates here and PM everyone when I think I'm good to go again, probably after the holiday.

Remove ads